Can We Keep This Civil? Let's talk some IU hoops here.

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Ipartiedwithhopgood, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Season is closing down, and IU is a tourney lock.

Not bad considering they lost a key front court player just before the season started.

I got to be honest, watching college basketball can be boring - so many teams can't score, shoot when they shouldn't, pass when they should shoot, have big men that can't catch, walk, chew gum at the same time, etc.... oh wait I turned this into a Louisville thread (I kid love my guys)

Back to IU.

I enjoy these guys. They can bomb it. I got a few friends (true story) that are IU alum and they are kind of down on the team. Maybe it's that they are down on the program.

With that said, again, these guys are fun. They get out and go, they pull the trigger. And honestly, Troy Williams is one of the most fun players in the country to watch.

Can these guys get hot in March? Or, is the hole in the middle just too big (enter vaginal joke if need be) ...

Thoughts?

2. BassCat75

BassCat75 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

An entertaining but ultimately flawed team. Total lack of defense and consistency limits their ceiling in March imo. They can score but they can't stop anyone. I could see them out in round one or making the sweet 16 depending on match ups.

3. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup. Well said. I actually think we could get further in the tournament depending on matchups and how hot we get shooting the ball. But really comes down to matchups.

4. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They can be very sporadic.

I think they may have the pieces to be pretty decent next year. I honestly think they need to get rid of Crean though. He is digging that program further and further down by the day.

That being said, I think IU is a little better than we thought they would be while Illinois (despite being on an uptrend) and UM are pretty awful this year (I thought Illinois and UM would be better than they are)

5. Chicubsfan24

Chicubsfan24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Taking my little brother to his first IU game tonight and only my second of the season because I was only down in Bloomington for one. Pretty excited to see them play, especially after the way they played last game. Northwestern is a better team than Rutgers and are playing much better, but IU should take this one relatively easily. Hoping they go on a little run at the end of the season and snag a 7 or 6 seed. I don't see them doing well in the tourney at all, which sucks, but as mentioned earlier, they're a massively flawed team. It'll be nice to see them in a march madness game after the debacle last year.

6. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't you feel better about your chances if IU was on an "uptrend?" [​IMG]

7. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

In college basketball, a hot 3 pt shooting team can be demoralizing, especially in the NCAAs.

If this team racks up 10 + threes an opponent could become really unsettled.

I understand the honest replies here. IU's first round game will be one of the games I most look forward to seeing.

8. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think guard play is more important in March than any other time in the season. Guards have the task of controlling the tempo and setting up the offense. The huge crowds and prestige of March Madness can easily get young guards out of their element. There may not be another PG in the country I'd have this March than Yogi Ferrell.

1. Upper classmen PG
    2. Sweet 16 experience
    3. Use to playing in front of huge crowds.
    4. Match-up problem for any team without athletic guards.

As long as Indiana doesn't face a team with an offensive Big to expose them AND a good defensive guard to neutralize Yogi, I see no reason Indiana can't get past the Sweet 16. The problem will be that there are a lot of really good bigs that will be on the 1 and 2 lines, so they'd have to get a favorable draw to do so.

9. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This is where I'm stuck. Of the projected 1's and 2's, who would IU match up with the best? Not really sure one is better than any of the others...

10. Chicubsfan24

Chicubsfan24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova and that still wouldn't be terrific. But that's probably the best.

11. Da_Bull

Da_Bull Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Put us with UK, we have little chance either way might as well go for the gusto.

12. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

IU matches up just fine with UVA and/or Gonzaga.

I know it comes off like I'm picking on those programs I promise I'm not.

In the case of UVA they don't score big. If IU came out smoking that could take UVA out of their comfort zone early. Gonzaga is also a perimeter minded team. They have some size, but their top player is a stretch 4 and decent experienced guards.

Neither game would be mission impossible.

13. mebeblue2

mebeblue2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I stated in an earlier thread that IU would make the NCAAT
    i am so happy i called that one
    now hopefully IU will give Crean a lifetime contract...............J/K IU fans

they have the guard play to win 1 or 2 games in the NCAAT

14. Ameoba Offense

Ameoba Offense Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I just hope they can avoid the 8/9 game. Not so sure I' be any more confident against a 10 or 11 seed either but just from a potential 2nd round matchup perspective, I want no part of UK, Duke or UVA. Especially UK - the committee will align that in a heartbeat considering the UK / 76 IU angle. A 6/3 game would be ideal.

Exciting style or not though, it's hard to feel good about this team as bad as their defense is.

15. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do they though? UVA is an excellent defensive team that has the length and athleticism to give IU fits IMO.

16. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

that's how I felt about UK in 2006 and 2007 when they ended up drawing UConn and Kansas. Thought they had UConn beat during that game before the Huskies pulled away late. The Kansas game in 2007 was never close.

17. Hoosier in Mad Town

Hoosier in Mad Town Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We're fun if you really like offense. If you have any appreciation for defense, it is a tough team to watch at times.

Round that out with a souring fanbase on our coach and you get a fairly malaise response from a lot of the educated fans.

18. BassCat75

BassCat75 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

i wouldn't say a deeper run is impossible, but it will be very difficult to get enough good match ups in a row. Its also difficult for teams who rely so heavily on outside shooting to be consistently hot for enough games in a row. I think you can see that with IUs regular season where it's win one, lose one, win two, lose one, rinse and repeat. Hard to shoot lights out every night and when that's the only way you can win, it makes a deep run less likely.

19. burkndlaw

burkndlaw Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

^Souring is right. I was fine until Purdue finished the sweep. It'd take something like a big ten tournament championship coupled with a good run in March to get me back onboard with Crean leading this ship long term. Like Mike Davis and Bill Lynch, I really wanted to like the guy, but more and more he just isn't it, so Fred, it's time to deal with Ol' Yeller.

20. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Far from a lock. At 19-9, 9-6, I feel we need to win tonight. Get that, and yeaH, probably so.

As for the NCAAT? All about our draw. But I wouldn't want to see IU in my bracket as an 8/9. They could definetely be a "giant killer".

Dangerous teaM with their ability to shoot.

21. Swat30

Swat30 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

IU still has a lot of work to do as far as I'm concerned. We have a trap game tonight at Northwestern and two "lose-able" home games against teams we don't/didn't match up particularly well against: Iowa and MSU.

Tonight's game is a lot more important for the team than it would seem on paper.

22. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

Well, we know UVA would be favored. But the thing about this potential matchup, UVA may not take advantage of IU's weakness as much as some of the other top dogs.

23. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If seeded an 8-9, or 7-10....UVA and or Gonzaga would be the most desirable match-up. We have the offensive ability to give UVA fits. Yes they are very good defensively, but offensively they are as inept as we are defensively. At least so it seems. Don't take me wrong UVA fans, the Cavs are really, really good. But the don't have the inside presence that worries me. Plus they just don't score. Do I think wed win? No. But I certainly feel we'd have UVA fans sweating.

Gonzaga is more of a perimeter oriented team. Wiltjer is their guy. And probably our biggest match-up issue. But....Can he defend Williams....Hartman, or even Perea? I doubt so.

Worst would be Uk, Duke, Wisky or Nova.

But hey, when you have the potential to knock down 15-16 threes, your dangerous for any team.

24. Hoosier in Mad Town

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

They are the second worse matchup outside of UK. I'd rather play Duke.

25. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I am officially off the IU bandwagon .

26. Hoosier in Mad Town

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We just need to burn it down and start all over again. This is embarrassing

27. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Seriously....WTF are they doing on offense???

28. MGoBlue1882

MGoBlue1882 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They likely win at least 1 more game, and will get in, but they won't go further than the 2nd round. Crean hasn't gone deep in the tournament since he's been at IU. That isn't going to change this year.

29. burkndlaw

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Honest to God I hope we do not. That might be enough to get this clown fired. Save us hawkit.

30. GoldenAlley

GoldenAlley Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No size + no defense spells disaster in the Tourney. It's been fun to watch these guys develop this year though, being a Marion native it's been a joy watching Blackmon Jr.

I'm wishing for the best but expecting a 1st or 2nd round exit. Next year though...

31. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

They just at kept chucking and chucking and chucking 3s , none of them falling and no effort to do something else

really pathetic effort

32. MGoBlue1882

MGoBlue1882 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

IU isn't going anywhere in the tournament as long as Crean is around. If they ever get rid of him and get a real coach they could easily return to elite status.

33. VulvHa

VulvHa Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

IU is a drastically different team at home versus the road.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

34. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not against us.

35. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

"Keep chucking, chucking and chucking 3's, with no attempt to do anything else. Pathetic."

Well, there isn't aNything else.

Like I said, when hitting, we can be good. When not? Well we lose @ cellar dwellar N'Western. I believe IU was 3-17 from three in 2nd half. Plus we were terrible from the line(6-15).

Luckily our last two are @ home.

Just a bad, bad loss. Far from an NCAA lock.

36. burkndlaw

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

For the future of the program, we need to miss the tournament. Tom Crean is 5-21 against NW, PSU, and Purdue when he doesn't have Cody Zeller on the roster. We've lost our last 3 to Purdue, 2/3 against NW (one at Assembly Hall!) and are a running joke. I used to be scared that we'd fire him to replace him with worse, but there's at least ten coaches right now I'd take over this consistent disaster.

37. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Burk:

Didn't like the hire 7 years ago, and don't now. He's not the guy. Northwestern is awful. And they absolutely handled us. But hey, maybe they're a bad match-up(for us)?

Its sad, really. I've watched maybe 4-5 games. Many of times I've forgotten we were playing. Don't follow recruiting. Its simply not enjoyable. But hey, for some, he's the man. Afterall, remember where we were when he arrived. If ya don't recall, ask CTC...OR watch a presser. He'll certainly remind you.

38. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

FWIW, I still stand by my earlier post. Indiana's weaknesses mean no game is a gimme, but they still hold a positional advantage over most teams that give them a chance vs top teams.

39. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

And I'll say they don't have a chance defending any offense with a pulse.

40. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

I apologize IU fans.

For whatever reason, I thought the squad was a lock I didn't think this through.