ADVERTISEMENT

can the pendulum swing back to me being a Duke fan?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
When I first got into CBB in the mid 80s I liked 4 teams....DePaul, Indiana, LSU and Duke. Became a Duke fan because I was a big Bobby Knight fan and the Duke coach was connected to Knight plus he was from Chicago. Was a massive fan of the Laetter/Hurley teams.

Stuck with Duke till I turned on Coach K after the loss to UCONN in the title game (99 I think?) for reasons I've listed here before.

Became a Duke hater and that hate burned bright for over 20 years.

But, now Coach Gay is gone and the guy they replaced him with is a kid from the next town over (same town as my office) who I've been rooting for since I watched him lead Glenbrook North to it's only ever state basketball title.

The guy I hate is gone and the new guy is someone I like a lot.

Could I go back to being a Duke fan? At first i was like no, but then the thought of Scheyer having even more success than Coach Gay and passing his legacy does hold some allure for me.

Might need @Afamu to chime in on this...

200w.gif

When I first got into CBB in the mid 80s I liked 4 teams....DePaul, Indiana, LSU and Duke. Became a Duke fan because I was a big Bobby Knight fan and the Duke coach was connected to Knight plus he was from Chicago. Was a massive fan of the Laetter/Hurley teams.

Stuck with Duke till I turned on Coach K after the loss to UCONN in the title game (99 I think?) for reasons I've listed here before.

But, now Coach Gay is gone and the guy they replaced him with is a kid from the next town over (same town as my office) who I've been rooting for since I watched him lead Glenbrook North to it's only ever state basketball title.

Could I go back to being a Duke fan? At first i was like no, but then the thought of Scheyer having even more success than Coach Gay and passing his legacy does hold some allure for me.

this board would take a hit if you became a duke fan. you should try them on like an old pair of panties. see how it goes

Reactions: cdbearde

You said nothing about...

giphy.gif

And here I thought you were the ultimate dedicated diehard. Turns out you're the ultimate bandwagon jumper?

True, but we’re not quite at the level of “open secret” enough that we can start taking Kentucky kids, though
You took mensa members Zion Williamson and Marvin Bagley - to name a few. Long gone are the days of dUKe focusing on guys who can count to 10 without the use of their fingers.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
You took mensa members Zion Williamson and Marvin Bagley - to name a few. Long gone are the days of dUKe focusing on guys who can count to 10 without the use of their fingers.
I agree, but you’re missing the bigger point, which coincidentally proves the point.

I agree, but you’re missing the bigger point, which coincidentally proves the point.
I get the point. dUKe is at the point to take any kid who can hoop - even if he's borderline "ratarded". They are not Stanford or Vandy when it comes to accepting athletes and would get any Kentucky kid/recruit eligible if he can play.

I get the point. dUKe is at the point to take any kid who can hoop - even if he's borderline "ratarded". They are not Stanford or Vandy when it comes to accepting athletes and would get any Kentucky kid/recruit eligible if he can play.
This is simply a devastating dose of reality you just dealt me, I’ll edit my original comment

ADVERTISEMENT