ADVERTISEMENT

Can Somebody Explain the Kansas Love Fest?

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
Largely put as a 1 seed, and I don’t get it.

6 loses, 5 to unranked teams.
4 loses by double digits.

Good wins but bad loses.

What am I missing?

Has something to do with the new metric the committee is using to seed teams. I think we look a lot more like a 2-4 seed, but who knows.

Reactions: cooljeff
I'm with the above posters. It makes no sense to me how KU, in their method, ended up as a 1 seed. I understand how off the wall college basketball has been nation wide this season but KU is not a justifiable 1 seed. I don't like the quadrant seedings as it seems way too damned pre determined way too far in advance. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, if Texas Tech continues their pace and they end up winning the Big 12 regular season and end up winning the Big 12 Tournament or finish runner up, how does Tech not land on the 2 seed line at the worst?

So @MGC_07 your guess is as good as ours.

Don’t care what seed anyone gets this year. Kansas plays to the level of comp every game. We win when our perimeter shooters are on. I feel like we are playing like a 4 seed

Reactions: KisteK
They should be about a 4 and most years this team would be a 4. But MBB is down big time this year. I keep saying that there’s no way KU is a 1....but who is? Maybe MSU...but every team has bad losses this year. Most have multiple bad losses. But most don’t have as many good wins. KU could lose their 1st game...or they could win it all. Just don’t know what to expect from them. When they’re hitting their jump shots and Dok doesn’t sit with foul trouble, they’re as good as anybody. But when Dok sits, KU becomes very average. And every 3rd or 4th game we decide to just have all of our shooters go cold..

Depends on when we have that game where we can’t hit the broad side of the barn. If it’s the 1st weekend, we may survive all the way to the final four...but if we have it the second weekend, we’re out. We don’t play good enough defense to win when we go cold.

Feels like they should barely be in the conversation even for a 2, but after Va, Nova, Duke, and Mich St, who definitively has a better resume? Weak field.

From what i have seen this year, KU is as good as anyone else. Be a good year to watch the tourney, IF they don't let Higgins work any games. Wide open this year

Reactions: RockChalkRally
From what i have seen this year, KU is as good as anyone else. Be a good year to watch the tourney, IF they don't let Higgins work any games. Wide open this year

Agree. That's going to be charm of this year's tourney field. Calling it wide open isn't an over statement. Its a reality.

Seeding s won't mean much this year. It's a free for all

All true. My thought has always been with the exception of the four 1 seeds, every round is entertaining. From the 2nd round on, all bets are completely off regardless of seeding. This year only amplifies that. I hate March Madness for all the same reasons I love it....if that makes sense.

Frankly it's not fair to the teams who have remained in the top 4 or 5 for much of the season. KU has had incredible spurts but they're not trustworthy as a 1 seed.

Frankly it's not fair to the teams who have remained in the top 4 or 5 for much of the season. KU has had incredible spurts but they're not trustworthy as a 1 seed.

Some of these teams that have risen to the top of the polls have done so on the backs of major conferences eating each other.

We have just 3 Quad 1 Wins. 3! While I think we have the talent to be a #1 seed, I think our resume is a bit underwhelming... Kansas at least has multiple quality wins. But I agree with others, seeding won't mean a whole lot this year. It's nice for 1 seeds who essentially get a first-round bye, but some of the 8/9 seeds are going to make for some very tough 2nd-round matchups.

Not sure of the records of other top teams, but KU is 13-4 vs the projected field. Several of their wins are looking less impressive by the day though. They could use a win or two over Texas Tech.

Last edited:
I thought you guys looked just as overrated now as you did then.
Oh, for sure. Def not a strong squad this season. Self must be doing some coaching to have them top 10 and projected one seed. Hopefully we can make it to the second weekend. You guys still in danger of not making the tourney?

Oh, for sure. Def not a strong squad this season. Self must be doing some coaching to have them top 10 and projected one seed. Hopefully we can make it to the second weekend. You guys still in danger of not making the tourney?
I mean we can win out or we can lose out. I would say right now we are in and we have some games left that could move us up or down a seed. Would be surprised to win two games in the NCAAT

I don't think KU is a 1 seed but then again I don't agree with how they rank them to begin with.

First of all throw out the losses, they simply don't matter. It's all about quadrant wins. It's stupid and I fear we will be the first 1/16 loss

I don't think KU is a 1 seed but then again I don't agree with how they rank them to begin with.

First of all throw out the losses, they simply don't matter. It's all about quadrant wins. It's stupid and I fear we will be the first 1/16 loss

KU has destroyed 16 seed caliber teams this year. That said, if they go cold vs a decent 16, it could happen.

Its dangerous b/c we seem to play to the comp.

Soft isn't really an accurate assessment. They rely on their shooting more than any KU team in recent memory but they can shut any team down on the right night.

I personally hate Kansas.

I mean, obviously Mizzou hates them more, but I think Oklahoma State is a solid second in hatred.

We have just 3 Quad 1 Wins. 3! While I think we have the talent to be a #1 seed, I think our resume is a bit underwhelming... Kansas at least has multiple quality wins. But I agree with others, seeding won't mean a whole lot this year. It's nice for 1 seeds who essentially get a first-round bye, but some of the 8/9 seeds are going to make for some very tough 2nd-round matchups.
basically the top 4 seeds will all be interchangeable 50/50 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT