ADVERTISEMENT

Can Johnny Come Latelies become powerhouses?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Or just flash in the pans?

UConn, Nova, all good examples.

When does traditionalist recognize real?

Some think you have to show consistency through multiple coaches, multiple decades. UConn went on a good run. Won 4 titles.

Are they the best of the best? Nova won some titles recently, how do they ranki in your lifetime?

Memphis could win two titles in the next couple years with their talent. They have a history, Could they become the new Nova? It would be recent. Could Penny become a HOF coach if he won a couple titles?

I don't see why not due to the criteria presented.

I think it's open to everyone. Get a title or two and you too can be up for all the accolades. Even Memphis and UT.

I think some teams can do what Gonzaga has done. Dominate a smaller conference. Corner the market in a smaller, less populated part of the country. It would take the right coach but can obviously be done.

If Memphis can ever get the coach right, they could make things happen.

I think some teams can do what Gonzaga has done. Dominate a smaller conference. Corner the market in a smaller, less populated part of the country. It would take the right coach but can obviously be done.

If Memphis can ever get the coach right, they could make things happen.
Problem and great thing about Penny is he's willing to do what it takes. Has all the backing one could ask for, bring in coaches, bring in players, huge fan support.

If he can't do it someone will. How long until Memphians realize that....who knows?

Not trying to call Villanova a flash in the pan but it will be interesting to see how they perform with Neptune.

they have played like a blue blood the last 10 years but they aren’t one. Great program though and certainly one of better programs.

The SEC in basketball is going to be eventually as deep as we are in football. Just so much money coming in for all schools. Doubt anyone gets to complete powerhouse level though. But I could see a title or two won by somebody. If uva and Baylor can win titles. Some SEC schools certainly can with having athletic departments with more money at their disposal

Or just flash in the pans?

UConn, Nova, all good examples.

When does traditionalist recognize real?

Some think you have to show consistency through multiple coaches, multiple decades. UConn went on a good run. Won 4 titles.

Are they the best of the best? Nova won some titles recently, how do they ranki in your lifetime?

Memphis could win two titles in the next couple years with their talent. They have a history, Could they become the new Nova? It would be recent. Could Penny become a HOF coach if he won a couple titles?

I don't see why not due to the criteria presented.
Unless you're a historian it doesn't matter. Fans pack arenas for games being played now and not in the past. Fans care about their team's rankings today and not in the past. Fans that focus on the past do so because their teams are vulnerable in the present. This is why you have to admire Kansas, they were able to take care of business in the present.

Penny will have a better chance of becoming a HOF used car salesman than coach. I doubt he is coaching much longer based on corruption.

The SEC in basketball is going to be eventually as deep as we are in football. Just so much money coming in for all schools. Doubt anyone gets to complete powerhouse level though. But I could see a title or two won by somebody. If uva and Baylor can win titles. Some SEC schools certainly can with having athletic departments with more money at their disposal
This year was a perfect example of how poor the SEC is in basketball. We heard all the hype all year about the SEC having some really good teams.

Well they did not have some really good teams. They were totally over rated and got jobbed in the NCAA. They sucked.

Reactions: Villian07
The SEC in basketball is going to be eventually as deep as we are in football. Just so much money coming in for all schools. Doubt anyone get to complete powerhouse level though. But I could see a title or two won by somebody
This year was a perfect example of how poor the SEC is in basketball. We heard all the hype all year about the SEC having some really good teams.

Well they did not have some really good teams. They were totally over rated and got jobbed in the NCAA. They sucked.
Ok. That doesn’t mean anything for the future when the SEC becomes the first billion dollar a year conference

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
With the new rules, one and done, NIL et.al. I am not smart enough to know if it will create many "better" teams or simply enrich the powers.

The NCAA's mission is to spread the wealth and it has done a fine job of diluting the revenue to the powers. We have gone from the old Division I schools, a little over 100, to an NCAA, in basketball, that has over 330. A big bunch of them don't even play football. If you don't play football you are not Division I.

I hope that the power conferences put the NCAA out of business. It will probably not happen but I hope that I live long enough to see it.

With the new rules, one and done, NIL et.al. I am not smart enough to know if it will create many "better" teams or simply enrich the powers.

The NCAA's mission is to spread the wealth and it has done a fine job of diluting the revenue to the powers. We have gone from the old Division I schools, a little over 100, to an NCAA, in basketball, that has over 330. A big bunch of them don't even play football. If you don't play football you are not Division I.

I hope that the power conferences put the NCAA out of business. It will probably not happen but I hope that I live long enough to see it.
The ncaa ln it’s current form is done.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Ok. That doesn’t mean anything for the future when the SEC becomes the first billion dollar a year conference
You are conceding a point that you should not concede. The SEC was solid, they won the Big 12 challenge and beat a lot of the top teams in the country. The NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. UK won 26 games and only lost 8. They beat a lot of good teams and were not crap. When they announced the brackets many UK fans felt good about at least a FF, but they rolled snakes eyes in the first game. It happens, but that doesn't mean UK was crap. It was just the way the ball bounces.

Reactions: KisteK
You are conceding a point that you should not concede. The SEC was solid, they won the Big 12 challenge and beat a lot of the top teams in the country. The NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. UK won 26 games and only lost 8. They beat a lot of good teams and were not crap. When they announced the brackets many UK fans felt good about at least a FF, but they rolled snakes eyes in the first game. It happens, but that doesn't mean UK was crap. It was just the way the ball bounces.
Oh I agree. I was more focusing on the trajectory of the SEC in basketball. I think the coming years will be the deepest and most successful basketball years ever for the SEC as a whole.

Oh I agree. I was more focusing on the trajectory of the SEC in basketball. I think the coming years will be the deepest and most successful basketball years ever for the SEC as a whole.
I am not telling you what to do, but I'm suggesting not letting someone speak totally stupidity without making a counterpoint to highlight their cluelessness.

I think the SEC is an up and comer, but I know they were solid this last year. There are a myriad of facts that support both assertions.

So Louisville doesn't suck any more? Thank Gawd it's all behind us
BPmAUVF.gif

That espn contract constantly pumping them up imo.

That said despite their tourney downfalls i thought uk/tenn/auburn/arky all had pretty good teams last year. One bad game in the tourney and its all for not though.

That espn contract constantly pumping them up imo.

That said despite their tourney downfalls i thought uk/tenn/auburn/arky all had pretty good teams last year. One bad game in the tourney and its all for not though.
I thought so too, but they stunk up the NCAA with the exception of Arkansas.

The money for the SEC is real, not only ESPN but a CBS contract also. But I think that half the problem this year with the SEC was that they believed the propaganda put out by the media. It was wrong.

I have followed Kentucky basketball for 65 years and I don't remember a worse NCAA loss than to St. Peter's. Outside of Oscar no UK player showed up, including the coach.

I thought so too, but they stunk up the NCAA with the exception of Arkansas.

The money for the SEC is real, not only ESPN but a CBS contract also. But I think that half the problem this year with the SEC was that they believed the propaganda put out by the media. It was wrong.

I have followed Kentucky basketball for 65 years and I don't remember a worse NCAA loss than to St. Peter's. Outside of Oscar no UK player showed up, including the coach.
Agreed but it happens, they laid and egg, st petes played perfect. Doesn’t necessarily mean uk didnt have a good team last year, they just didnt play well that game.

Same for AU, couldnt make a shot

Same for Tenn, plus dickerson went bananas.

ADVERTISEMENT