ADVERTISEMENT

Calls (or No Calls) that irritate the bejeezus out of you

Not calling travelling in general anymore...guys switch pivot feet and take extra steps all the time now.
I disagree. I think they call far more travels than they used to.

Most of it stems from guys doing the scissor-step when they catch the ball on the wing. When a player doesn’t have to establish a pivot foot before making their move, they can’t be guarded. There were several years when guys first started doing that where it was never called. Then, refs caught on and you see it called all the time now.

Traveling when going upnfor a lay-up or jam? Yeah, they miss that one a lot. But TBH, that doesn’t give the player nearly the advantage that the scissor-step does. If a guy is defending a player driving to the basket, they’re not as likely to even notice their steps.

Say after a scored basket, the opposing team is trying to get back down the court as quickly as possible. Half the time the inbounder isn't even behind the baseline when he inbounds it and most times he even has a foot over the line (planted on the floor). Never gets called.

I don’t think it’s that widely misunderstood. 3 feet is about one stride. Moving more than 1 stride is a violation. Pretty simple.
Sure its misunderstood. I hear it all the time. Just like on here. One---it is not a travel. But when this does occur, 99.9999% of fans scream, "travel". It is not. There are no pivot foot restrictions.

Three feet is about one stride. "About: being the key word. Three feet for you may be different than three feet for me. As in, If you're 6'9" and I'm only 6'0", well, our stride is probably different. In other words, it's a judgement. There is no box or line to go by. Just your judgement. SO no, moving more than one stride isn't always going to be a violation. Depends on how far of a stride you take.

You say pretty simple, but I doubt you knew this rule until I posted it.

Say after a scored basket, the opposing team is trying to get back down the court as quickly as possible. Half the time the inbounder isn't even behind the baseline when he inbounds it and most times he even has a foot over the line (planted on the floor). Never gets called.
Well, I mean you guys want consistency...........So.:D

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
. You should not be able to slide under an attacking player to draw a foul.
I couldn't agree more. I rarely call a charge via a weak side(secondary) defender. Unless it is absolute, I will call a block. I'm not bailing out piss poor defense.

Sure its misunderstood. I hear it all the time. Just like on here. One---it is not a travel. But when this does occur, 99.9999% of fans scream, "travel". It is not. There are no pivot foot restrictions.

Three feet is about one stride. "About: being the key word. Three feet for you may be different than three feet for me. As in, If you're 6'9" and I'm only 6'0", well, our stride is probably different. In other words, it's a judgement. There is no box or line to go by. Just your judgement. SO no, moving more than one stride isn't always going to be a violation. Depends on how far of a stride you take.

Yes I did

Somehow they manage to call it on lane violations though. Laughing
Little more obvious. Most folks pay no attention to the inbounder. Including the officials. Unless it is a blatant violation, you will never see it called. As for lane violations being called more---Of course they are. Everyone is watching....:D

Little more obvious. Most folks pay no attention to the inbounder. Including the officials. Unless it is a blatant violation, you will never see it called. As for lane violations being called more---Of course they are. Everyone is watching....:D
I catch it all the time... so that means it's VERY blatant. Laughing

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I didn't know the rule and have been watching CBB pretty religiously for about 35 years.

Learn something new every day.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I couldn't agree more. I rarely call a charge via a weak side(secondary) defender. Unless it is absolute, I will call a block. I'm not bailing out piss poor defense.

It should be illegal. It's not defense at best, and very dangerous at worst. Lot of guys have been hurt from falling/getting tripped up after a defender slides in late. Particularly on dunk/layup attempts.

When an opposing players runs into the foot of somebody and falls over it and is rewarded for flopping

Reactions: tw3301
Flopping. Sorry, but some of these officials are falling for some of the absolute worst acting I've ever seen.
There was one in the UK V Uconn title game where the UConn guard backed up to a UK defender and launched himself onto the floor, ref raised his hand and called a foul. He was literally 5' away and saw the whole thing unfold, but still called the foul.
I hope someone can link that clip, and there are many others.
It's worse than the acting jobs you see in world cup soccer. Just awful and so many of these officials call fouls even though they know it's an act.

Found it, can anyone find one that is worse? There are many more, but this one is the worst call I've ever seen. He should be embarrassed.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Officials/John_Higgins.gif

Last edited:
When an opposing players runs into the foot of somebody and falls over it and is rewarded for flopping

Let's hope it happens again a couple of times this year. Really need more training material for the refs.

When guys throw the ball off an opposing player while they're falling/heading out of bounds in order to keep possession.
While smart, imo, it's not really a basketball play/move ..

higgins standing in fornt of the 0 shot clock and then wisconsins nigel hayes has time enuff to grab the ball and dust if off and score to tie the game, was the worst and higgins saw the opportunity to shift momentum and take down undefeated ky and took it.

people who whine and complain but dont offer solutions are a different matter, but ky fans have seen crap like this and offered solutions for last few years. The ref defenders have done so many 180s to excuse the cheating. First it was "you dont understand REFFING!" "No ref would be biased!" Now ref defenders say "its human nature some would be biased, but if i were a ref i wouldnt.

Theyve seen this guy cheat and keep changing their stance because espn told them not to like ky.

Oh well, wont shed a tear if their team gets cheated because of what emmert wants.

It should be illegal. It's not defense at best, and very dangerous at worst. Lot of guys have been hurt from falling/getting tripped up after a defender slides in late. Particularly on dunk/layup attempts.
Well it is illegal if you are late getting there. :D Look, If a secondary defender is there, in legal position, BEFORE said player begins his shot, then yeah, I will call a charge. But it has to be absolute for me. I even state this in my pregame. If I have to think----it's a block. Just me. Otehrs are different. Doesn;t make then wrong. Just makes them different.

"Over the back" has never been in the rule book.
So true. Amazing how some feel that you're not allowed to legally get a rebound just b/c you are behind a said player. Sure you can. See it all the time.:D

Reactions: RipThru
I didn't know the rule and have been watching CBB pretty religiously for about 35 years.

Learn something new every day.
We all do. I read my rule book/casebook quite often. And every so often I'll come across something, and will be like, "Damn, really"?

Well it is illegal if you are late getting there. :D Look, If a secondary defender is there, in legal position, BEFORE said player begins his shot, then yeah, I will call a charge. But it has to be absolute for me. I even state this in my pregame. If I have to think----it's a block. Just me. Otehrs are different. Doesn;t make then wrong. Just makes them different.

I get that. I'm saying it should be illegal to slide over like that. It isn't defense. You are rewarding an inferior player for taking a charge instead of contesting a shot. That's not just a college thing though. It happens just as much in the NBA and it's even more infuriating there.

Push offs and over the back rebounds.

Just be consistent.

ADVERTISEMENT