ADVERTISEMENT

Calls (or No Calls) that irritate the bejeezus out of you

UNC71-00

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
The one that is never called which happens all the time is the passer traveling on a dead ball inbounds play.

Watch how often the guy is shuffling his feet before throwing the ball in. That shit drives me crazy.

Why don't refs ever call that one Borden?

How many moving screens are missed. It seems they're getting better at calling it, but many a 3 seem seem to drop because the guy was wide open from a moving screen.

Edit to add: I know you said "never called," but I think this is close enough because it happens so frequently and is usually missed.

Reactions: brooky03
How many moving screens are missed. It seems they're getting better at calling it, but many a 3 seem seem to drop because the guy was wide open from a moving screen.

Yeah, moving screens would be it for me. Teams do this all the time.

fox-foul.jpg

The one that is never called which happens all the time is the passer traveling on a dead ball inbounds play.

Watch how often the guy is shuffling his feet before throwing the ball in. That shit drives me crazy.

Not calling travelling in general anymore...guys switch pivot feet and take extra steps all the time now.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

First off, it's not a travel. Never has been. There are no pivot foot restrictions on a throw in. Thus, there cannot be a travel.
Secondly: On a throw in, the thrower has 3'(wide) he's allowed to move within; no depth restrictions. In other words, you can move on a spot throw. You just cannot go more than 3 feet to yur left or right.

So to answer your question---I'd say the reason you seldom see it called, is b/c in actuality, there's no violation. Most fans are not aware that you CAN move, even on a spot throw.

When a guy is standing straight with his hands up, gets ran straight into with a flop, and gets a foul.

Also tripping
Start to watch closely. I'm not saying these calls are right. But the slightest movement forward, or the slightest move of bringing your arms down, sometimes go unnoticed. You'll see a guy who appears to just be "standing there". Then you rewind it and see that he actually stepped into the defender, and/or his path. Same with a guy bringing his arms down.

Here's a call that gets me:

Defender reaches in, contacting ball handler, who then pushes off. Offensive foul gets called. I hate this call. I cannot tell you how many times I have been booed over NOT calling this an offensive foul. Coaches lose thier minds. They're like---"He pushed off". Im like, "yep, he sure did. But AFTER your guy reached in and tore off his arm".SmokinSmile

Reactions: UNC71-00
It' not always what's not called, it's when they call an off ball foul or something that affects the play in no way whatsoever.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
First off, it's not a travel. Never has been. There are no pivot foot restrictions on a throw in. Thus, there cannot be a travel.
Secondly: On a throw in, the thrower has 3'(wide) he's allowed to move within; no depth restrictions. In other words, you can move on a spot throw. You just cannot go more than 3 feet to yur left or right.

So to answer your question---I'd say the reason you seldom see it called, is b/c in actuality, there's no violation. Most fans are not aware that you CAN move, even on a spot throw.

I always thought that if it's after a make, you can move along the baseline. If it's not then you must be stationary.

Guess I had that one wrong.

99% of the charge calls. You should not be able to slide under an attacking player to draw a foul. That is dangerous and not fvcking defense at all. It's just rewarding people that aren't good enough to play actual defense.

99% of the charge calls. You should not be able to slide under an attacking player to draw a foul. That is dangerous and not fvcking defense at all. It's just rewarding people that aren't good enough to play actual defense.
Drama queen....:D

I always thought that if it's after a make, you can move along the baseline. If it's not then you must be stationary.

Guess I had that one wrong.
Nope. You can move. Just cannot move more than three feet to your left or right. That is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. And if you do, its not a travel. Just a throw in violation.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Nope. You can move. Just cannot move more than three feet to your left or right. That is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. And if you do, its not a travel. Just a throw in violation.

I don’t think it’s that widely misunderstood. 3 feet is about one stride. Moving more than 1 stride is a violation. Pretty simple.

I don't care about calls or non calls as long as they are calling it the same on both ends. That's all I ask for

Reactions: KyFaninNC

And there you have it. One of life's mysteries solved.

Does a throw in violation turn the ball over same as a travel would?

When a guy is standing straight with his hands up, gets ran straight into with a flop, and gets a foul.

Also tripping
This X 100. How are big guys supposed ro play defense? All they're allowed to do is stand still and wall straight up. That's a joke, they are not actually allowed to use their size to their advantage. Better not even try to jump or curl your hands down.
All veteran college players know this, so they just jump into the defender and get the call. I hate it.

Player A grabs a rebound, player B behind him reaches over and slaps the ball out of bounds, ball is given to player B. Now, either player B knocked the ball out of bounds, OR player B fouled player A by hitting his hand, thus making the ball go out of bounds. This is never got right.

Palming the ball is NEVER called, and most guards palm it, otherwise they could NOT dribble the way they do.

The classic, official makes god awful call, then doubles down by calling a T on the coach for losing his mind over it.

Offensive player barrels into a defensive player in the paint who is standing or jumping straight up, playing perfect defense, and it gets called a block. If we're going to call every touch foul on the defense, at least reward them when they play perfect defense. Overall, college officiating is really negatively impacting the game.

CaNygz_UcAA4Noj.jpg:large

Ref looking right at UNC player who is standing on the line(both feet were on the line at one point).....and no call. It's out of my system now; ready to move on.

I have seen this two times with UNC players when they were playing two different teams, and I wondered both times, is that official blind or biased?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT