ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari

KUhawks34

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Do non-rupp rafters UK fans want Calipari gone or is it just the psychos in the rafters?

This board has such an odd obsession with rafters. We should just have a pinned thread for the non Kentucky fans that go there. Maybe 10 percent of the Kentucky fans here post on there every now and then? It’s odd and always has been. Would it not annoy the piss out of you guys if you constantly had to answer for the bottom worst part of your fan base? There are some quality people over there but it’s almost a massive venting space for the fan that doesn’t have as many ways to vent. With all of this said, I will answer your question.

Cal has certainly earned himself some leeway. The first five years he was here we were winning at an almost impossible rate. You were bound to see some drop off in the coming years. That said, he has lost control of his own monster in the oad. It went from 2 or 3 new starters a year to 5 on a regular basis. This obviously brings more loses than before. Add that in with the fact that Cal hasn’t been hitting on as many big targets as he was in the beginning.

Any rational Kentucky fan would say we probably can’t do better than Cal at this point, but that doesn’t mean he can’t feel heat or pressure and be asked to make adjustments. At this point, it is looking more and more like he will need to change something up or ride his initial wave of success until Kentucky isn’t competing consistently anymore. It’s already started.

Put me in the group of people that are indifferent on his departing. His best days are behind him, IMO. I don’t see him winning another natty at UK, not because I feel he is inept, but because the OAD player has now been spread across a greater number of colleges. He stands an equal chance with the other coaches working the same system. His best chances were when it wasn’t quite so diluted. Now there are no great coaches left, no dominant teams. Everything is homogenous now.

He’d probably be a hell of an AD though.

This board has such an odd obsession with rafters. We should just have a pinned thread for the non Kentucky fans that go there. Maybe 10 percent of the Kentucky fans here post on there every now and then? It’s odd and always has been. Would it not annoy the piss out of you guys if you constantly had to answer for the bottom worst part of your fan base? There are some quality people over there but it’s almost a massive venting space for the fan that doesn’t have as many ways to vent. With all of this said, I will answer your question.

Cal has certainly earned himself some leeway. The first five years he was here we were winning at an almost impossible rate. You were bound to see some drop off in the coming years. That said, he has lost control of his own monster in the oad. It went from 2 or 3 new starters a year to 5 on a regular basis. This obviously brings more loses than before. Add that in with the fact that Cal hasn’t been hitting on as many big targets as he was in the beginning.

Any rational Kentucky fan would say we probably can’t do better than Cal at this point, but that doesn’t mean he can’t feel heat or pressure and be asked to make adjustments. At this point, it is looking more and more like he will need to change something up or ride his initial wave of success until Kentucky isn’t competing consistently anymore. It’s already started.
You seem upset. I read all the blue blood message boards. I like talking basketball. I see you are frustrated by that jimbo

You seem upset. I read all the blue blood message boards. I like talking basketball. I see you are frustrated by that jimbo
You can’t even bother responding to the actual basketball portion of my post. Just childish bs.

This board has gone so far downhill in the last few years. You can’t even talk basketball without having to answer for folks you don’t even associate with and talk to.

Consider this my swan song. You guys be good.

You can’t even bother responding to the actual basketball portion of my post. Just childish bs.

This board has gone so far downhill in the last few years. You can’t even talk basketball without having to answer for folks you don’t even associate with and talk to.

Well I asked a serious question and clearly differentiated you guys from the psychos at rupp rafters. I have seen the posts at phog.net. We have crazies too.

You can’t fault people for being entertained by the most irrational message board in all of sports.

Just a FYI JimBeau you are the one who made this thread about something other than what it was intended for by your first paragraph.

Yes, there have been a few UK posters who constantly post here about stuff UNC fans say over on THR and take their hard feelings from there and channel them here. It is dumb, just as its dumb when people let RR bother them. I'm very much against even caring about what other boards say anyway. Like, you can be the biggest idiot in the world about UNC on your home board and it shouldn't impact what people think about you if you visit somewhere. Seems silly. Just ignore it though. No reason to let people work you up.

As for Cal, he consistently has UK in the national discussion and vying for FFs. People are silly if they aren't happy with him. I mean, that doesn't mean you can't be critical of some things. We all are. But, he is elite when it comes to a college basketball coach.

I mean UK fans are just as guilty of this, JImbo.....I mean I see it all the time---"Go to Peegs......Or they said this over on the UL board....Or the Duke board..Etc, etc.....

I don't get it though...Largest fan base....most passionate fan base.....But no one is seemingly a part of THAT fan base....

Weird. Its like two different fan bases....

Cal gets a pass IMO, even if things continue to be bad this year. Weird year, weird roster. Hopefully these guys have their heads on right and most come back so we have some experience. I will say Cal needs to figure out how to get kids to stop transferring/leaving just because they arent OAD.

In his time here we've been in contention for the FF or better like 80% of the time. His one really bad year was because his star went down with a torn ACL. I hope things turn around this year, but I just donlt think we have a PG who can lead the team. No matter what happens, let Cal stay and run it back next year.

If I had a guaranteed slam dunk hire, I’d move on. Otherwise, no.

I’ve never considered him to be anything special in terms of Xs and Os or in-game coaching, but it’s unlikely that anyone else will bring in more talent. Things can deteriorate quickly with the wrong hire.

If I had a guaranteed slam dunk hire, I’d move on. Otherwise, no.

I’ve never considered him to be anything special in terms of Xs and Os or in-game coaching, but it’s unlikely that anyone else will bring in more talent. Things can deteriorate quickly with the wrong hire.
Speaking of deteriorating quickly, good luck against this guy on Sunday.
21236967-DF5A-474A-85BE-55771AAEEFEC.jpeg

Who in the hell would UK get that’s better than Cal? Rupp from the grave?
Not sure they’d have to be better, per se. if they were able to get a couple of freshman to stick around a couple of years like the last few national championship teams, it would appear to be an improvement. I’m not a Cal detractor . . . but it’s getting harder to argue with the crowd of “all that talent . . .” . . . well, you know the rest.

If he stays, I’m fine. If he goes, I’m fine.

UK would be just about crazy to move in another direction until he grossly underperforms for a couple seasons. You never fire anyone unless you got something vastly superior in the bag. There aren't 10 coaches that will bring the kind of success Cal will bring in the next 5 years. If UK somehow made a really dumb move---there would be plenty of schools slobbering Cals knob.

UK would be just about crazy to move in another direction until he grossly underperforms for a couple seasons. You never fire anyone unless you got something vastly superior in the bag. There aren't 10 coaches that will bring the kind of success Cal will bring in the next 5 years. If UK somehow made a really dumb move---there would be plenty of schools slobbering Cals knob.
Im sure other schools would, and without trying to sound like a pretentious prick, it’s different at UK. The losses are piling up with a system whose novelty is played out. It has a normally-rabid fanbase that embrace being the dicks of cbb in the doldrums and Cal has a lifetime contract.

Let’s put it this way . . . with an annual top 1-3 ranked recruiting class he’s only won one more national championship than I have.

Last edited:
Im sure other schools would, and without trying to sound like a pretentious prick, it’s different at UK. The losses are piling up with a system whose novelty is played out. It has a normally-rabid fanbase that embrace being the dicks of cbb in the doldrums and Cal has a lifetime contract.

Let’s put it this way . . . with an annual top 1-3 ranked recruiting classes he’s only won one more national championship than I have.
Oh, I get it---we would turn on Self in a heartbeat. Same thing with AFH and our packed houses. It only takes one or two bad seasons for all hell to break loose. Kansas fans would not support a loser out of loyalty....imo

Well said Jimbo!

Oh, I get it---we would turn on Self in a heartbeat. Same thing with AFH and our packed houses. It only takes one or two bad seasons for all hell to break loose. Kansas fans would not support a loser out of loyalty....imo

I'm pretty sure no one would be calling for Self's head if he started a season 1-3. Even under the cloud of an investigation.

I'm pretty sure no one would be calling for Self's head if he started a season 1-3. Even under the cloud of an investigation.
If it was preceded by a rough year than we would for sure have fans grumbling---right or wrong.

The main reason people are souring on Cal is his NBA boner takes priority over the program. He recruits for the NBA draft, he manages his program for the NBA draft, he lets his NBA prospects play through their mistakes, but yanks the non-NBA prospects out as soon as they make a mistake and why he's holding "Pro days" is beyond me. You don’t do that unless you're trying to showcase your guys for NBA franchises. Hell with that, this is what is causing the huge roster churn every year and he gets off on it.

You ain't winning titles with this method, especially when the guys you are getting are projects. Those Wall, AD, Knight, Towns and Randle type players aren't coming to UK anymore and if you notice, Cal can't win without them. Hell, K had the greatest collection of talent in the modern era a couple years ago and they stumbled their way to a couple sons before losing in the E8. Beating veteran teams with freshmen is extremely difficult. Yeah, having four 5* kids on your roster looks good on paper, but they're like a newborn baby deer for most of the season.

There are more and more fans that feel the same way I do. We don’t want him fired, we just want him to put UK basketball ahead of his NBA draft boner.

Also, it probably wouldn’t hurt if he hired an offensive coordinator. His offense was stolen from 1985.

The main reason people are souring on Cal is his NBA boner takes priority over the program. He recruits for the NBA draft, he manages his program for the NBA draft, he lets his NBA prospects play through their mistakes, but yanks the non-NBA prospects out as soon as they make a mistake and why he's holding "Pro days" is beyond me. You don’t do that unless you're trying to showcase your guys for NBA franchises. Hell with that, this is what is causing the huge roster churn every year and he gets off on it.

You ain't winning titles with this method, especially when the guys you are getting are projects. Those Wall, AD, Knight, Towns and Randle type players aren't coming to UK anymore and if you notice, Cal can't win without them. Hell, K had the greatest collection of talent in the modern era a couple years ago and they stumbled their way to a couple sons before losing in the E8. Beating veteran teams with freshmen is extremely difficult. Yeah, having four 5* kids on your roster looks good on paper, but they're like a newborn baby deer for most of the season.

There are more and more fans that feel the same way I do. We don’t want him fired, we just want him to put UK basketball ahead of his NBA draft boner.

Also, it probably wouldn’t hurt if he hired an offensive coordinator. His offense was stolen from 1985.
Well stated.

Yea...I mean he has only won 300+ plus games with an 80% win percentage, 3 final fours (one bucket away from a 4th) , a runner up and a championship. It’s been a rough 10 years. Can’t wait for him to be gone! :rolleyes:

Yea...I mean he has only won 300+ plus games with an 80% win percentage, 3 final fours (one bucket away from a 4th) , a runner up and a championship. It’s been a rough 10 years. Can’t wait for him to be gone! :rolleyes:
don’t forget about the NIT:cool:

Maybe they forgot that the NIT isn’t as prestigious as the NCAA anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT