ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Wanted To Be at Indiana in ‘06

@slhoosier26, @HoosierstuckinIowa, @IUfanBorden, @johnhoosier
Known this for a long, long time....Brian Evans approached the board in regards to this, and they immediately dismissed him.......

Prime example of why IU has been where it has...Wouldn't touch Cal b.c of his past----then turned around around and hired a guy ON PROBATION...

I mean you cannot make this shit up..

He would've taken any "blueblood" job and probably a handful of other major conference jobs by that point. If Sampson would've kept his nose clean he could've accomplished a lot at IU.
Yes....Cal was ready/primed for a big move.

Sampson , IMO, would have had IU at an elite level...

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I heard Thad Matta, too, wanted the Indiana job.
Poor IU.
Just one terrble decision after another by an inept admistration... Pitino was also interested.
IU basically passed, so to speak, on Cal, Matta and Pitino, and settled for Sampson and TomCrean. Sampson I can stomach---BUT,if your worries about Calipari and his "past" were an issue, then HOW IN THE **** do you hire Sampson? I know one of the reasons with KS: Minority hire. And the powers to be made that a prioroty to an extent. Instead of being the likes of KU, UK, Duke, etc,e tc.....We've basically been reduce to Iowa and Illinois...

Just one terrble decision after another by an inept admistration... Pitino was also interested.
IU basically passed, so to speak, on Cal, Matta and Pitino, and settled for Sampson and TomCrean. Sampson I can stomach---BUT,if your worries about Calipari and his "past" were an issue, then HOW IN THE **** do you hire Sampson? I know one of the reasons with KS: Minority hire. And the powers to be made that a prioroty to an extent. Instead of being the likes of KU, UK, Duke, etc,e tc.....We've basically been reduce to Iowa and Illinois...
Greenspan was the one who pushed sampson. They had previously worked together, he had a good record, the phone calls were seen as a minor offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
Greenspan was the one who pushed sampson. They had previously worked together, he had a good record, the offense of phone calls was seen as a minor offense.
If I recall correctly "B", wasn't it Greenspan that was also pushing a minority hire, as well? IMO, possibly the worst fukin AD Indiana has ever had.

Water under the bridge----but damn its sickening to imagine what IU could have been IF we hire a Cal, Pitino, etc, etc.....What pisses me off over the KS hire was Greenspan concern over Cal's past, yet he turns and hires a dude who left a school on probation, and was on probation himself..

With that being said, I do think IU got it right with Woodson. Should have hired him as well, years ago.

More hopeful thinking than reality.
Maybe....I think Woodson has showed he can be a good college coach; needs to tweak some things. BUt his recruiting is spot on, and his pedigree is very attractive for recruits today. Obviously going off a very small sample, but Woody in year 10, IMO, Indiana would not be where they are now.

If I recall correctly "B", wasn't it Greenspan that was also pushing a minority hire, as well? IMO, possibly the worst fukin AD Indiana has ever had.

Water under the bridge----but damn its sickening to imagine what IU could have been IF we hire a Cal, Pitino, etc, etc.....What pisses me off over the KS hire was Greenspan concern over Cal's past, yet he turns and hires a dude who left a school on probation, and was on probation himself..

With that being said, I do think IU got it right with Woodson. Should have hired him as well, years ago.
Keep in mind that Calipari hadn't got into trouble for Rose yet.

Keep in mind that Calipari hadn't got into trouble for Rose yet.
Nope.....More of the UMass thingy, and "rumors". Still, dumb as ****.

Hope all is well with ya, brother. I treid calling the other night, before my surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT