ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari and Painter Resumes

HoB used to be a good board. Had good discussions on there. But it turned so fast to badly where you can't even mildly criticize Cal without a few losers immediately screeching to his defense

Other than oldjim, who just doesn’t seem to believe in questioning leadership figures, and billyjoecatfan, the rest of the accounts that defend calipari like that have sign up dates of april 2009 or later.

So either the Calipari era is all they’ve known, or they followed him from Memphis. I really believe that gracetoyou poster is a converted Memphis fan. They’ve even said before they were from Memphis.

Then i’m pretty sure some of the others are either troll accounts, or sock accounts.

I agree with you though. House of
Blue isn’t any better then rafters. I actually think the rafters Calipari apologists are more civil and reasonable.

Other than oldjim, who just doesn’t seem to believe in questioning leadership figures, and billyjoecatfan, the rest of the accounts that defend calipari like that have sign up dates of april 2009 or later.

So either the Calipari era is all they’ve known, or they followed him from Memphis. I really believe that gracetoyou poster is a converted Memphis fan. They’ve even said before they were from Memphis.

Then i’m pretty sure some of the others are either troll accounts, or sock accounts.

I agree with you though. House of
Blue isn’t any better then rafters. I actually think the rafters Calipari apologists are more civil and reasonable.

I let my membership lapse. I'll re-up for football season I think. Guys like oldjim, cats and weatherbird were just exhausting to see defend Cal no matter what. That grace guy is just a weirdo. He posted before how he had a Duke membership and posted there as well.

I hadn't read the rafters for ages but it's sad that HOB became that same style of board basically. It was legit great at one point.

I let my membership lapse. I'll re-up for football season I think. Guys like oldjim, cats and weatherbird were just exhausting to see defend Cal no matter what. That grace guy is just a weirdo. He posted before how he had a Duke membership and posted there as well.

I hadn't read the rafters for ages but it's sad that HOB became that same style of board basically. It was legit great at one point.

The football stuff is all that’s worth while anymore. I like David Sisk. His game and film breaks downs are good but he doesn’t have the level of access to recruiting info that Travis Graf did. And graf still posts there from time to time but not like he used to because he’s basically rivals head recruiting guy now(and that’s understandable).

But Rowland and a few others still bring really good football coverage to the site imo.

The football stuff is all that’s worth while anymore. I like David Sisk. His game and film breaks downs are good but he doesn’t have the level of access to recruiting info that Travis Graf did. And graf still posts there from time to time but not like he used to because he’s basically rivals head recruiting guy now(and that’s understandable).

But Rowland and a few others still bring really good football coverage to the site imo.

The staff is all great. Graf and Sisk are good but definitely aren't there as much. Jeff Drummond does great work as the day to day guy with JR running the football stuff. But the regular posters had taken a sharp nosedive the last few years. If you read there you'd think Cal was the only coach who had ever won a title at UK lol.

Reactions: Montana81
What would Painter do at Kentucky? I’m pretty confident that he’d accomplish more than Calipari has the last four years.

No way I'd take Calipari's X's and O's over Painter....No chance. Look what happens when Cal runs out of elite talent....

His first 6 seasons at UK:

Elite 8
FF
Natty
NIT
Runner-Up
FF..

He was pulling dudes like AD, Wall, Cousins, MKG, KAT, Bledsoe, etc....

Now he is not, and..........

2nd round
Elite 8
SW 16
Elite 8
Pandemic
9-16
1st round
2nd round

He's lost in the 1st or 2nd round 3 times, and missed the tourney all together. He's not dragging in Top 5 talent anymore,and well.....

Painter in that same time frame:
1st round
SW 16
SW 16
Elite 8
Pandemic
1st round
SW 16
1st round

Painter has lost in the 1st round three times....But has more SW 16's(4-3)and one less E8.

Calipari has 2 SEC titles--No SECT titles
Painter has 3 B10 titles---Plus a BTT title

Its a helluva alot closer than you think, brother.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
What would Painter do at Kentucky? I’m pretty confident that he’d accomplish more than Calipari has the last four years.

I mean Painter of probably better than Cal now. That's not saying much. Cal's resume is miles better though. He was more accomplished at UMass than Painter has been his whole career.

Kentucky would still be playing.....

I doubt Cal gets this Purdue team in the tournament...

What a stupid fvcking post. Painter literally lost to a 16 seed this season. Cal won 1 more tournament game than him. He couldn't beat a 16 seed but sure he'd still be in the tournament with UK.

I mean Painter of probably better than Cal now. That's not saying much. Cal's resume is miles better though. He was more accomplished at UMass than Painter has been his whole career.

What a stupid fvcking post. Painter literally lost to a 16 seed this season. Cal won 1 more tournament game than him. He couldn't beat a 16 seed but sure he'd still be in the tournament with UK.

I think he’s talking about a scenario in which Painter had Cal’s roster (or assuming that he’d have more talent than currently anyway). Remember, it was Kentucky that had huge expectations this year. Nobody expected anything from Purdue. It was Edey and a bunch of JAGs.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think he’s talking about a scenario in which Painter had Cal’s roster (or assuming that he’d have more talent than currently anyway). Remember, it was Kentucky that had huge expectations this year. Nobody expected anything from Purdue. It was Edey and a bunch of JAGs.

But preseason rankings are always junk. Purdue had the NPOY and were part of the biggest upset in tournament history. Kentucky had Cason and Oscar and a bunch of JAGs too. It's a coaching midoff.

Yeah because ya know one game defines a coach, or a team. Also, look at the talent difference.

Painter has NO 5*'s---Nadda---None---Zero. He was starting two 3 and4* freshman at guard. Edey was ranked like 300th coming out of HS...

Cal had:

Returning NPOY in Oscar.(5*)..
Cason Wallace---5*(8th)
Damian Collins---5*(19th)
Lance Ware--4*(39th)
Chris Livingston 5*(12th)
Ugonna Oneyso 4*(37th)
Savhir Wheeler 4*(83rd)---2X Second team All SEC.

Then there werre the transfers in Anotnio Reeves---averaged 21ppg at Illinois St. Toppin and Fredrick.

Give Painter that talent, and UK is still playing.

But preseason rankings are always junk. Purdue had the NPOY and were part of the biggest upset in tournament history. Kentucky had Cason and Oscar and a bunch of JAGs too. It's a coaching midoff.
Just no...

Damian Collins was a 5*
Chris Livingston was a 5*

UK had 6, Top 40 players....

Wanna guess how many Purdue had?

ZERO....Their highest rated recruit is Trey Kaufman-Renn---37th.

Cal is at one of the blue rat or bluebloods. He has the top class every year. Even the biggest UK homers know he has underperformed over the past several years.

However, an equal kick in the nuts is a first round loss as what, a 3, 2 and 1 the last three years?

Exactly this.....

Cal is at one of the blue rat or bluebloods. He has the top class every year. Even the biggest UK homers know he has underperformed over the past several years.

However, an equal kick in the nuts is a first round loss as what, a 3, 2 and 1 the last three years?
Purdue lost to St. Peter's in the SW 16...

The Calipari years with UMass and Memphis I just can't get past. He's a phenomenal coach and recruiter but I just can't forget what he did at those two programs and the sad state he left them in.

Despite what he's been able to do at Kentucky I'll choose Painter.

Just no...

Damian Collins was a 5*
Chris Livingston was a 5*

UK had 6, Top 40 players....

Wanna guess how many Purdue had?

ZERO....Their highest rated recruit is Trey Kaufman-Renn---37th.

Did you watch them play? Recruiting rankings really don't mean that much. If they did UK, Duke, KU and UNC would all be playing still.

Yeah because ya know one game defines a coach, or a team. Also, look at the talent difference.

Painter has NO 5*'s---Nadda---None---Zero. He was starting two 3 and4* freshman at guard. Edey was ranked like 300th coming out of HS...

Cal had:

Returning NPOY in Oscar.(5*)..
Cason Wallace---5*(8th)
Damian Collins---5*(19th)
Lance Ware--4*(39th)
Chris Livingston 5*(12th)
Ugonna Oneyso 4*(37th)
Savhir Wheeler 4*(83rd)---2X Second team All SEC.

Then there werre the transfers in Anotnio Reeves---averaged 21ppg at Illinois St. Toppin and Fredrick.

Give Painter that talent, and UK is still playing.

So poor Matt Painter had enough talent to win the big 10 and get a 1 seed, but he didn't have enough talent to beat a 16 seed? Fvck out of here. When you become the biggest favorite to ever lose a tournament game the year after losing to a 15 seed, yes, those games do define you. Painter has been at P5 school for 17 years with zero final fours and multiple huge choke jobs. FYI, recruiting is his job. If he didn't have enough dudes that is, again, his fault.

Did you watch them play? Recruiting rankings really don't mean that much. If they did UK, Duke, KU and UNC would all be playing still.

So poor Matt Painter had enough talent to win the big 10 and get a 1 seed, but he didn't have enough talent to beat a 16 seed? Fvck out of here. When you become the biggest favorite to ever lose a tournament game the year after losing to a 15 seed, yes, those games do define you. Painter has been at P5 school for 17 years with zero final fours and multiple huge choke jobs. FYI, recruiting is his job. If he didn't have enough dudes that is, again, his fault.
You don't think Painter is HOF material?
Capable of tying his own record of 38 wins 3 times in a season (with a title) with his recruits?
Folks forget recruiting is half the battle.

It's fun to play what if's though.
*also, it never gets old seeing UK/Cal bring rivals together.

Reactions: LeroyOU12
You don't think Painter is HOF material?
Capable of tying his own record of 38 wins 3 times in a season (with a title) with his recruits?
Folks forget recruiting is half the battle.

It's fun to play what if's though.
*also, it never gets old seeing UK/Cal bring rivals together.

I'm fine with criticizing Cal. He's been washed for years. But Matt Painter literally just had the biggest upset of all time on his watch.

Arkansas has higher rated recruits than KU. They have three top 15ish guys and the #3 player in the freshman class.

And of course Painter had enough talent to beat a 16. Just like Calipari had enough to beat St Peter's. The main point here is that Painter would likely pull more talent at Kentucky than he is at Purdue. Not sure why that's a controversial take.

Arkansas has higher rated recruits than KU. They have three top 15ish guys and the #3 player in the freshman class.

And of course Painter had enough talent to beat a 16. Just like Calipari had enough to beat St Peter's. The main point here is that Painter would likely pull more talent at Kentucky than he is at Purdue. Not sure why that's a controversial take.
It's all just opinions. No way to tell either way. Some could say Calipari would have gotten out of the first round this year with Painter's team.

Or took KU farther than they did.

Painter lost to that same St. Peters team last year lol. The point was that Painter would have done better with Cal's talent. Which maybe, but saying that after they lost to a 16 seed is asinine. Talent was not why they lost to them.

We only returned like 5% of our minutes played in 2021. Tried to tell anyone that would listen we weren’t going to very good that year. I got blasted on HoB for suggesting we were going to be between a 4-7 seed the summer before.

We were young in 2019 as well. We started 3 freshman and a sophomore. And had 2 more freshman playing minutes off the bench.

That said i hâte the young excuse as well. He chooses to build his rosters around freshman. And again, he can’t use that excuse this season. But early in the season when we were struggling he did throw out the “well they haven’t had time together” excuse.

Someone in the local media asked him about the summer trip and he said “that was more about off the court stuff” or some bs.

Cal was a great coach at one point. From 2006-2015 he was arguably the best in the sport. But 2015 is now almost a decade ago.

He reminds me of Denny Crum and Bobby Knight in their last 10 years. His results are very similar.
That was right around the time the best teams left C-USA for the Big East. Cal was very average from 2000-2005 and took off once the stronger teams left the conference along with recruiting. I think Memphis also used to host the conference tournaments as well. Then when he got to the SEC from 2010-2015, the SEC outside of Florida, was just a step up from C-USA but not by much. Now that the SEC has upgraded its coaches along with not landing elite recruits, Cal looks average, again.

ADVERTISEMENT