ADVERTISEMENT

Busting Brackets' top 25 back courts for 20/21

kyjeff1

Sep 8, 2012
Here are the top 25 back courts for 20/21. Discuss.
NCAA Basketball: Top 25 strongest backcourts for 2020-21 season

25 Dayton
24 Richmond
23 G-Tech
22 Syracuse
21 Oregon
20 LSU
19 Creighton
18 UConn
17 Illinois
16 Bama
15 KU
14 Tx Tech
13 Arkansas
12 UL
11 UT
10 Duke
9 Gonzaga
8 Florida
7 UNC
6 Houston
5 ASU
4 Oklahoma State
3 Baylor
2 Nova
1 UK

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Here are the top 25 back courts for 20/21. Discuss.
NCAA Basketball: Top 25 strongest backcourts for 2020-21 season

25 Dayton
24 Richmond
23 G-Tech
22 Syracuse
21 Oregon
20 LSU
19 Creighton
18 UConn
17 Illinois
16 Bama
15 KU
14 Tx Tech
13 Arkansas
12 UL
11 UT
10 Duke
9 Gonzaga
8 Florida
7 UNC
6 Houston
5 ASU
4 Oklahoma State
3 Baylor
2 Nova
1 UK

Idk what’s worse: putting Franz Wagner, Isaiah Livers, and Eli Brooks in the same grouping or not considering them a top 25 unit.

I’d think that swapping Dotson for Bryce Thompson and a top juco, with everyone else a year more experienced, would rank a little higher than 15. We’ll see.

If Kentucky has the #1 backcourt, I hope we don’t hear Calipari whining about youth two months into the season.

Reactions: wesr and KUhawks34
I’d think that swapping Dotson for Bryce Thompson and a top juco, with everyone else a year more experienced, would rank a little higher than 15. We’ll see.

If Kentucky has the #1 backcourt, I hope we don’t hear Calipari whining about youth two months into the season.
Agreed...... I’m excited about our back court. Our offense is going to be better than last year and benefit from Garrett being the PG and not an off ball guard. We will rank a lot higher than 15 later on in the year. It’ll take Thompson and Grant-Foster time to mix in. Braun is going to be a steady horse for us that many aren’t talking about. Ochai probably will just be Ochai. Would be nice to see him jump up but I’m confident the rest will. We have some very nice depth.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Yeah, Livers ain’t a 2. And that group should be top 25.

I’d consider our back court to be:

Eli Brooks
Mike Smith
Chaundee Brown
Zeb Jackson

I would put that group pretty low in rankings.

I’d put our front court as
Franz Wagner
Isaiah Livers
Brandon Johns
Hunter Dickinson
Austin Davis

I’d put that group at top 10 in the country

Yea depends on if you consider SF in the front court or backcourt.

Traditionally it’s been considered front court, but these days with teams stretching the floor the sf and Sg are basically becoming the same position.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Agreed...... I’m excited about our back court. Our offense is going to be better than last year and benefit from Garrett being the PG and not an off ball guard. We will rank a lot higher than 15 later on in the year. It’ll take Thompson and Grant-Foster time to mix in. Braun is going to be a steady horse for us that many aren’t talking about. Ochai probably will just be Ochai. Would be nice to see him jump up but I’m confident the rest will. We have some very nice depth.

Self has said that Agbaji’s improved his shot a lot. Should be a nice year if that’s true.

They're not robots.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Our ranking is fair but I believe our backcourt is pretty damn good this year.

Carlik Jones
David Johnson
Sam Williamson
Josh Nickelberry
Deandre Davis
Charles Minlend

Reactions: rockycard
UVA not being top 25 seems off. Hauser alone should make them worthy and then add Clark? Come on.

And then call me a homer if you want, whatever. But not even having FSU in the honorable mentions? Makes me question everything else written. Scottie Barnes, MJ Walker, Anthony Polite (arguably the best perimeter defender in the ACC), Rayquan Evans, and Sardaar Calhoun? There’s not 30 better backcourts. That’s silly. Shoot, just Barnes and Walker alone make it dangerous.

I was wondering if it was starting backcourts or entire backcourts. I didn’t click the link tho obv

And also whether SF counts as backcourt.

Our ranking is fair but I believe our backcourt is pretty damn good this year.

Carlik Jones
David Johnson
Sam Williamson
Josh Nickelberry
Deandre Davis
Charles Minlend
I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, but you just listed names of dudes that most have never heard of. I don’t recognize a single name on that list. Should I?

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
I'm not saying this to be a smart ass, but you just listed names of dudes that most have never heard of. I don’t recognize a single name on that list. Should I?

If you haven’t heard of David Johnson, you’re not paying attention to college basketball all that seriously.

If you haven’t heard of David Johnson, you’re not paying attention to college basketball all that seriously.
He played 1 season at UL. Played 16 mpg, averaged 6ppg, 2.8apg and shot 22% from 3 point range. What is so eye popping?

But okay, lets say I give you David Johnson, do you recognize anyone else on the list that 1986 posted? If I'm a UL fan (eww), if David Johnson is the best guard, I'm concerned. Those numbers aren't anything to get excited about.
Honestly, where UL is ranked, seems about right to me. Do you disagree?

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
He played 1 season at UL. Played 16 mpg, averaged 6ppg, 2.8apg and shot 22% from 3 point range. What is so eye popping?

But okay, lets say I give you David Johnson, do you recognize anyone else on the list that 1986 posted? If I'm a UL fan (eww), if David Johnson is the best guard, I'm concerned. Those numbers aren't anything to get excited about.
Honestly, where UL is ranked, seems about right to me. Do you disagree?

I don’t disagree. UVA should be higher. I’m just saying, any person who watches college basketball games besides their own team each week knows who David Johnson is.

I don’t disagree. UVA should be higher. I’m just saying, any person who watches college basketball games besides their own team each week knows who David Johnson is.
I watch cbb every night except maybe Friday nights and UK played UL, Jordan Nwora, Igiehorn and Perry we're the ones that drew all the attention. I distinctly recall DJ getting some hype after a couple of good games he had, but it wasn't an all season thing and I just don’t recall him being that big of a deal, he certainly wasn’t when they played UK.

The issue here is no one is knowledgeable about 300+ College Basketball teams

You have to watch these games. Data in basketball is flawed when you are attempting to compare players for numerous reasons.

I can really only rank maybe 7 teams in the Big 12.
Rest of CBB I am not as familiar with. I have seen some of the players but I really don't know who is coming back for each team unless the fan base tells me.

When you look at the numbers it isn't telling you the full story.
Jacob Young is one of the best guards at Rutgers but he was behind Jones, Febres and Coleman when he was at Texas.
Was pushed out by Ramey
Young is putting up decent numbers at Rutgers because he is getting playing time.

According to these two lists, the Heels have the top front court and the #7 back court, plus a HoF coach, but won’t open the year ranked in the top 10? Something doesn’t add up.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and MGC_07
Esp when the player plays for your rival....And----Samuel Williamson. 5* recruit. I guess a pass on the others...

Reactions: UL_1986
I watch cbb every night except maybe Friday nights and UK played UL, Jordan Nwora, Igiehorn and Perry we're the ones that drew all the attention. I distinctly recall DJ getting some hype after a couple of good games he had, but it wasn't an all season thing and I just don’t recall him being that big of a deal, he certainly wasn’t when they played UK.

He was hurt when UL and UK played.

It seems like you do recall him. Which was my only point. I guess just a little hyperbole by you in the initial post.

Reactions: UL_1986
He was hurt when UL and UK played.

It seems like you do recall him. Which was my only point. I guess just a little hyperbole by you in the initial post.
No, I used google to look him up. Maybe it's just been too long, but also, at 6ppg and 16mpg, he doesn't appear to be all that special and honestly, why would those numbers move UofL higher than where they are?

Esp when the player plays for your rival....And----Samuel Williamson. 5* recruit. I guess a pass on the others...
Why would I care about a 5* recruit? EJ Montgomery and Kahlil Whitney were 5* recruits too.
But really, I don’t follow UofL recruiting, because they aren't a program that relies on freshmen the way duke and UK do.
So, where would you rank Louisville's backcourt? Seems to me, they are others they should be for now.

Last edited:

He was hurt the first half of the year. I think he played 1 minute against UK, which was either his first or second game back.

I love DJ and think he’s in for a helluva year but objectively he did make a name for himself off of one game against Duke, far and away the best he played all season.

And you don’t watch much UL basketball if you think Perry and Igehon were the ones drawing attention besides Nwora. Igehon rarely even played, and Perry wasn’t very good his entire career and transferred in the off-season bc he didn’t play much either.

No, I used google to look him up. Maybe it's just been too long, but also, at 6ppg and 16mpg, he doesn't appear to be all that special and honestly, why would those numbers move UofL higher than where they are?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. I already said I agreed with you that UL shouldn’t be higher. In fact I said they should be lower.

He was hurt the first half of the year. I think he played 1 minute against UK, which was either his first or second game back.

I love DJ and think he’s in for a helluva year but objectively he did make a name for himself off of one game against Duke, far and away the best he played all season.

And you don’t watch much UL basketball if you think Perry and Igehon were the ones drawing attention besides Nwora. Igehon rarely even played, and Perry wasn’t very good his entire career and transferred in the off-season bc he didn’t play much either.
Igiehorn and Perry got the same hype that Johnson got. Perry had a few games where he played great, so he was the talk of the town for a couple weeks. Same with Igiehorn. I just didn't recall seeing David Johnson's breakout games. Plus, it’s been too long.
But still, there are a ton of dudes all over the country that are talented that will come out of nowhere this season and move the needle for some programs. We just don’t know who those guys will be. DJ could be one of them, but whoever wrote this piece, is going off of known commodities and guesses based on recruiting rankings.

According to these two lists, the Heels have the top front court and the #7 back court, plus a HoF coach, but won’t open the year ranked in the top 10? Something doesn’t add up.
I was wondering that too. I had no idea UNC was going to be that strong in the front court. Seems like this should be easily a top 5 UNC team based on these two lists.

Here's my top 30. I'm simply basing this off of who I think will get the most minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 positions. Depth isn't really factored into my rankings.

1. Gonzaga: Jalen Suggs, Joel Ayayi, Corey Kispert
2. Villanova: Collin Gillespie, Justin Moore, Caleb Daniels
3. Baylor: Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague
4. Creighton: Marcus Zegarowski, Mitch Ballock, Denzel Mahoney
5. Kansas: Marcus Garrett, Bryce Thompson, Ochai Agbaji
6. Arizona State: Remy Martin, Alonzo Verge, Josh Christopher
7. Kentucky: Davion Mintz, BJ Boston, Terrence Clarke
8. Duke: Jeremy Roach, Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson
9. Houston: DeJon Jarreau, Caleb Mills, Quentin Grimes
10. Louisville: Carlik Jones, David Johnson, Samuell Williamson
11. Illinois: Ayo Dosunmu, Trent Frazier, Adam Miller
12. Tennessee: Santiago Vescovi, Jaden Springer, Josiah-Jordan James
13. Texas: Matt Coleman, Courtney Ramey, Andrew Jones
14. Michigan State: Rocket Watts, Aaron Henry, Gabe Brown
15. Georgia Tech: Jose Alvarado, Michael Devoe, Jordan Usher
16. Oklahoma State: Isaac Likele, Ferron Flavors, Cade Cunningham
17. Texas Tech: Nimari Burnett, Kyler Edwards, Terrence Shannon
18. Alabama: Jahvon Quinerly, Jaden Shackelford, John Petty
19. Oregon: Will Richardson, Amauri Hardy, Chris Duarte
20. Richmond: Jacob Gilyard, Blake Francis, Nick Sherod
21. FSU: Anthony Polite, MJ Walker, Scottie Barnes
22. UConn: RJ Cole, James Bouknight, Tyrese Martin
23. Florida: Tre Mann, Noah Locke, Scottie Lewis
24. Ohio State: CJ Walker, Duane Washington, Justice Sueing
25. LSU: Ja'vonte Smart, Cam Thomas, Charles Manning
26. Michigan: Mike Smith, Eli Brooks, Franz Wagner
27. Virginia: Kihei Clark, Tomas Woldetenase, Jabri Abdur-Rahim
28. Dayton: Jalen Crutcher, Rodney Chatman, Ibi Watson
29. Memphis: Boogie Ellis, Landers Nolley, Lester Quinones
30. UNC: Caleb Love, RJ Davis, Leaky Black

How was UNC #7 and Arkansas #13? Arkansas lost Isaiah Joe recently. They'll have Desi Sills (10.6 ppg), Moses Moody (top 50 recruit), and a pair of mid-major transfers. As well as 2 other freshmen. Depth looks good, just don't think they have the star-power to have an elite backcourt. UNC will most likely start two freshmen and a very average Leaky Black. They might be better than last season, but not a top 10 backcourt. Hard to see Kentucky as the #1 backcourt, unless Devin Askew explodes and assumes the starting role.

Last edited:
Igiehorn and Perry got the same hype that Johnson got. Perry had a few games where he played great, so he was the talk of the town for a couple weeks. Same with Igiehorn. I just didn't recall seeing David Johnson's breakout games. Plus, it’s been too long.
But still, there are a ton of dudes all over the country that are talented that will come out of nowhere this season and move the needle for some programs. We just don’t know who those guys will be. DJ could be one of them, but whoever wrote this piece, is going off of known commodities and guesses based on recruiting rankings.

I’m sorry man I watched every game and Perry played and might have had 1 or 2 decent games against scrubs but he was definitely never the talk of the town. Most UL fans hated the guy bc he made such boneheaded plays. And Igehon got a lot of off season hype bc he’s shredded physicall, but I doubt he scored in double digits in a single game all season. He was the 3rd string center and probably had 3x the number of games he DNP than ones he did. And when he did it was mop up duty.

Maybe your confusing Perry with Williamson the Mcdaa frosh. He got a lot of hype as a recruit. Perry was a junior who really didn’t do much of anything his entire career at Louisville, well except lose is a game against UVA when we were up 4 with 5 seconds left.

I think ur confusing Perry with Williamson and remembering Igehons off-season hype coming in, as opposed to any hype he received for his play on the court last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
I was wondering that too. I had no idea UNC was going to be that strong in the front court. Seems like this should be easily a top 5 UNC team based on these two lists.
Yep. Roy w bigs is a lethal combination. Granted he needs that PG to run the show. Not sure we have a Felton, Lawson, or even a Berry, to do so tho.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Here's my top 30. I'm simply basing this off of who I think will get the most minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 positions. Depth isn't really factored into my rankings.

How was UNC #7 and Arkansas #13? Arkansas lost Isaiah Joe recently. They'll have Desi Sills (10.6 ppg), Moses Moody (top 50 recruit), and a pair of mid-major transfers. As well as 2 other freshmen. Depth looks good, just don't think they have the star-power to have an elite backcourt. UNC will most likely start two freshmen and a very average Leaky Black. They might be better than last season, but not a top 10 backcourt. Hard to see Kentucky as the #1 backcourt, unless Devin Askew explodes and assumes the starting role.

Much better list imo.

I’m sorry man I watched every game and Perry played and might have had 1 or 2 decent games against scrubs but he was definitely never the talk of the town. Most UL fans hated the guy bc he made such boneheaded plays. And Igehon got a lot of off season hype bc he’s shredded physicall, but I doubt he scored in double digits in a single game all season. He was the 3rd string center and probably had 3x the number of games he DNP than ones he did. And when he did it was mop up duty.

Maybe your confusing Perry with Williamson the Mcdaa frosh. He got a lot of hype as a recruit. Perry was a junior who really didn’t do much of anything his entire career at Louisville, well except lose is a game against UVA when we were up 4 with 5 seconds left.

I think ur confusing Perry with Williamson and remembering Igehons off-season hype coming in, as opposed to any hype he received for his play on the court last season.
It’s possible. It’s been too long since a cbb game has been played.

Sadly very true

DJ Williamson and Iggy did get a lot of hype among card fans coming in as recruits.

Also DJs stats are skewed a bit bc he was hurt early and when he came back he played a handful of games where he didn’t log many minutes, like the 1 minute he played against UK. He played solid down the stretch, but again a lot of the hype comes from the one great game @ duke.

Half of the teams in their lists almost seem randomly ordered.

Lol my lord. Guy names Igiehon who played maybe 10 mins last year in total, but doesn’t remember DJ. Ok.

I can’t name a single player on UKs roster for obvious reasons..

Number one grad transfer
A 5 star McDonald’s All American
Also a soph in DJ who went into CIS and got 19/7/4 as a frosh.

People are sleeping on our backcourt.

PG- Marcus Carr- Top returning PG in the Big Ten

SG- Gabe Kalscheur- Second most made three's (153) in the Big Ten, the past two seasons, behind Cassius Winston (157).

SF- Both Gach- Averaged 10.7 ppg and 2.9 apg in the PAC-12 last season.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT