ADVERTISEMENT

Brawl Between Youth League Refs & Players

Apparently not an AAU event, just FYI.

Crazy. Reading interviews with other people who were there, it seems that the team and its coaches deserve the brunt of the blame, although the refs seemed like they could have done a better job... but once someone throws fists at you, I find it tough to say someone shouldn't fight back.

A terrible visual, too... a lot of people are going to see a few young black kids doing this and blow it into some general "those black kids don't respect authority, that's the problem with society today" thing, instead of it being a "those specific people were douchebags."

Crazy breakdown of social norms.

Crazy. Reading interviews with other people who were there, it seems that the team and its coaches deserve the brunt of the blame, although the refs seemed like they could have done a better job... but once someone throws fists at you, I find it tough to say someone shouldn't fight back.

A terrible visual, too... a lot of people are going to see a few young black kids doing this and blow it into some general "those black kids don't respect authority, that's the problem with society today" thing, instead of it being a "those specific people were douchebags."

Not to be a jerk, but if this were 3 white dudes on a black ref i have a feeling you'd be singing racism to the high heavens....but now black guys were beating on a white ref its just a couple bad eggs.

and in no way is my first reaction ever, hey, this could be racism. It looks like a bunch of undisciplined basketball players with poor parenting. Hitting and kicking a ref on the ground? My parents wouldn't let me play another game. Now I'm seeing where the player is trying to say the ref started something with him? If thats the case he should no longer ref again---but still doesn't absolve idiot players running around cheap shoting the dude.

Last edited:

I'd say your more likely to hear people today say "If the players were all white no one would care. People would say it's just kids being kids. Media is racist for writing this article"

Reactions: TheDude1
Not to be a jerk, but if this were 3 white dudes on a black ref i have a feeling you'd be singing racism to the high heavens....but now black guys were beating on a white ref its just a couple bad eggs.

and in no way is my first reaction ever, hey, this could be racism. It looks like a bunch of undisciplined basketball players with poor parenting. Hitting and kicking a ref on the ground? My parents wouldn't let me play another game. Now I'm seeing where the player is trying to say the ref started something with him? If thats the case he should no longer ref again---but still doesn't absolve idiot players running around cheap shoting the dude.

No, that wouldn't be my reaction.

I'm glad its not your first reaction.

I think some people will definitely have that reaction.

A minor point, compared to the overall story.

I'd say your more likely to hear people today say "If the players were all white no one would care. People would say it's just kids being kids. Media is racist for writing this article"

This is a few days old and I haven't seen anyone talk about it being a black problem thing. I haven't even seen it anywhere on Fox news website. Pretty sure if it was white kids going after black refs liberals would have been all over it though.

No, that wouldn't be my reaction.

I'm glad its not your first reaction.

I think some people will definitely have that reaction.

A minor point, compared to the overall story.
Good deal then. If you look at the comments on stuff like that you'll think every person of color hates white people and vice versa.

This is a few days old and I haven't seen anyone talk about it being a black problem thing. I haven't even seen it anywhere on Fox news website. Pretty sure if it was white kids going after black refs liberals would have been all over it though.

Doubtful.

Doubtful.
Now thats disingenuous^^^^ Anything that has a 1/100th chance of being a white on black racial story hits the presses and its not like its an arguable thing b/c it happens on a daily basis. It happens b/c it gets the most angry viewers from both sides. If a white dude wearing dreads is making national news....3 white players kicking and punching a black ref on the ground might get its own 24 tv loop.

Now thats disingenuous^^^^ Anything that has a 1/100th chance of being a white on black racial story hits the presses and its not like its an arguable thing b/c it happens on a daily basis. It happens b/c it gets the most angry viewers from both sides. If a white dude wearing dreads is making national news....3 white players kicking and punching a black ref on the ground might get its own 24 tv loop.
yeah he's right but anyway @TheDude1 there's really no need to bring race into this. idiots are idiots regardless of their skin color. I know that is the point you were trying to make but it could have gone unsaid.

Reactions: KisteK and 829305

Exactly, if you haven't been noticing those headlines almost daily than it's because you don't want to notice it.

Reactions: KYtotheCore

I don’t think the ref was white. If he is, he’s he craziest honky out there.

I’ve been cruising the Googles trying to confirm, but can’t really find anything showing his face up close. But the way he was out there wilin (ripping ones own shirt off is a sign of a serious commitment to buck), I can’t imagine he’s white. I mean, yeah....I would do that shit, but I’m a different kind of dude.

Plus, the refs dad looks fairly black.

Really. Still comes back to parents regardless if they are black or white.

Reactions: toonces11

This is all true but don’t expect a reasonable discussion about it

Our school is currently holding meetings about what to do, whether it’s okay to cut the kid or not. Lol. I love that now coaches can’t just let a kid go, there needs to be a town meeting about it and everyone has a say. Yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT