ADVERTISEMENT

Bored at home and made a Ranking 25 years of Kansas Basketball thread

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
On jayhawk slant.

By far the most dominate regular season team in history. 2nd most wins and most conference titles. I ranked the last 25 KU teams. If my count is right. KU has had 13 #1 seeds in 25 years. 5 #2 seeds .

I was born in 87 and the first season I really remember watching was 94-95 season at 8. So it would be fun to rank the KU rosters of 25 years
#1. 1997 - Yes it was only a Sweet 16 but the overall talent was undeniable. Pierce, LaFrentz, Pollard, Vaughn and so on. This team had it all.

#2. 2008 - KU has had more talented teams overall, well maybe better top 2-3 players. But 1-8 no team was better, Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Collins, Kaun, Robinson, and Aldrich were all 5 star players according to rivals. The only team to win an all #1 seed final four.

#3. 2002 - 3 words Hinrich, Collison and Gooden. Man this team could score. Unfortunately, the defense just ran into just as good of an offense in Maryland in the final four.

#4. 1998 - Rhode Island, I don't want to talk about it lol. Pierce and Lafrentz are their peaks. Billy thomas was so good too.

#5. 2017 - Frank Mason, Dtae, Josh Jackson, Svi. If Dok hadn't gotten hurt man what could have been. Ran into a defensive buzz saw in Oregon and Josh got 2 early fouls.

#6. 2003 - So many teams on this list are going to have a what could have been mention do to an injury. What if KU had Wayne Simien in the final four.

#7. 2010 - This team was heavily favored to meet UK in the title game. It didn't work out for either team. Collins and Aldrich were pre season all americans. Sophmore's Taylor and the Morris twins were expected to take a big step forward, and got consensus top 10 recruit in Xavier Henry. They went undefeated in the non con and won the Big12 with a 16-2 record and only 2 losses headed into the tourney to be upset by UNI.

This is were it gets tricky, the rest of the list is very difficult. I actually started at 25 and worked my way up from here

#8. 2020 - Most controversial pick. But KU has dominated. Best defense in the country. 2 all american candidates in Dok and Dotson. Lost to Duke by 2 after 28 turnovers and 1 point loss to Nova. Only time KU has looked weak is 1 game against Baylor.

#9. 2007 - Same team from 08 but younger and with Julian Wright

#10. 2012 - The year of comebacks, defense and overachieving. The announcers said all year this was the least talented KU team under Self. and they were down 5 with 3 minutes to play in a title game against AD and UK.

Eleven through eighteen were the most difficult to rank .

#11. 1996 - 29 win team with 5 players in double figures , no one had reach superstar yet but they had Lafrentz, Pollard, Pierce , Haase and Vaughn. Lafrentz led with 13.4 PPG.

#12 - 2016 - I love this team, no absolute stars but Perry had a wonderful senior season with 17 PPG and 6 PG, with frank, dtae and Selden all coming into their own. They were a hair away from the final four.

#13. 2011 I went back and forth so much on 2011 and 2012. I think 2013 had a dominate defense, but man could 2011 score. Head to head I think 2011 would have beaten 2013 best of 5. The Morris twins and Taylor were the difference. Overall I think they may have been overrated but they were primed to win the title in a down year in college ball.

#14. - 2013 - Absolute juggernaut defense led by Jeff withey and Travis Releford. Would like to see which KU fans think that combo is better than Dok and Garrett. And throw in The most legit 1 and done to that point under self in Mclemore, the hype was real. 2nd best team that year behind Louisville. KU flat choked up 8 with 2 minutes to go against Michigan.

#15. 1995 - Pollard, Lafrentz and Ostertag with the best group of bigs KU has had.

#16. 2018 - Controversy alert - I loved this team but I think it overachieved a bit. Newman was really up and down. Svi had on games and off games. This team relied heavily on Dtae . But they made the final four and gave us the 14th straight B12 title.

#17. 2001 - I think this team underachieved. Yes Gooden Hinrich and Collison were all Sophmores. But they also had a Junior Boshee and Chenowith as a Senior.

#18. 2014 - Yes we had Wiggins and Embiid. But this team lost 10 games and relied heavily on freshmen.

#19. 2015 - Almost changed them and 2009. I will never forget losing to UK by 30. Frank was so young, Selden had a sophmore slump and it took oubre a while to get going. And alexander couldn't play a big chunk of games. Still pulled out a 2 seed before losing to the shockers.

#20. 2009 - I went back forth on this team and 2015... This team relied completely on Collins and Aldrich. The twins and Taylor played with so much heart but made so many mistakes. The won the big 12 in a down year and almost made the elite eight. All heart team.

#21. 2005 - Bucknell. 1 word and 1 word only . This one pains me. I took this loss harder than any other. This was a 3 player team . Simien, Langford and Miles. the 4 best player Giddens was a team cancer who never lived up to his hype. The 5th best was a walkon. So disappointing.

#22. 2006 - Chalmers, Rush and Wright were all freshman. Team had heart but weren't ready yet.

#23. 1999 - Chonowith, Gregory and Robertson were the top 3 players. No offense but enough said.

#24. 2000 - Lowest seed on this list. KU was an 8 seed. Gooden and Collison were freshmen and Kenny Gregory led the team in points.

#25. 2019 This one is controversial. Had Udoka not been hurt and Vick not left the team this would have been different. Charlie Moore and KJ lawson were disappointments. Dotson had a steady year and Dedric was the best player.

Also I have been obsessed with mens college ball since. I can do a ranking on your teams if they were big time programs.

Reactions: HawksJ
The 2008 team was one of the toughest teams I can remember. I should know they blew out my Tar heels twice in one game.
What an epic comeback....just couldn't get over the hump. One in a million game.

Kind of depressing to read through that list. I'm glad I was a kid in 97 and 98 and not too invested yet. The Bucknell/Bradley sequence almost did me in--I'd have melted down after Rhode Island.

Could/should have at least 1-2 more champions in that span. I'd be satisfied if Collison just hadn't missed 600 FTs in 03.

I'd rate the '16 team higher.

What an epic comeback....just couldn't get over the hump. One in a million game.

Yeah, epic comeback preceded by an epic blowout of a final four caliber team. Both of those teams are very memorable. Chalmers hit, what was basically a game winning 3 pointer in the title game.

Ironically that game was good for the Heels, because it put a chip on their shoulders for the next season in which they won every tournament game by double digits.

I just remember how tough that Kansas team was that year.

Let me give this a try.

1) 1997
2) 2008
3) 2010
4) 2002
5) 1998
6) 2007
7) 2011
8) 2003
9) 2017
10) 2016
11) 1996
12) 2012
13) 2013
14) 2004
15) 2009
16) 2018
17) 2014
18) 2006
19) 2001
20) 2005
21) 2015
22) 1999
23) 2019
24) 2000
2020 TBD

Reactions: ThePhog08
Kind of depressing to read through that list. I'm glad I was a kid in 97 and 98 and not too invested yet. The Bucknell/Bradley sequence almost did me in--I'd have melted down after Rhode Island.

Could/should have at least 1-2 more champions in that span. I'd be satisfied if Collison just hadn't missed 600 FTs in 03.

I'd rate the '16 team higher.

That Arizona/Kansas Sweet 16 game was one of my favorite NCAA Tournament Games the last 25 years.
Was played at an extremely high level.
Any other bracket KU would have been in the Final 4.

That Arizona/Kansas Sweet 16 game was one of my favorite NCAA Tournament Games the last 25 years.
Was played at an extremely high level.
Any other bracket KU would have been in the Final 4.

I was around 12, so I barely remember it. I might dig it up and watch, but I’d probably just get pissed off.

KU didn’t run into a defensive buzz saw against Oregon in 2017. KU ran into an Oregon team that hit a stretch where they hit something like 15 out of 16 shots, which included a banked in 3, another 3 that bounced about ten feet in the air and somehow went through the hoop on the way down...including a few other tough shots. It was a rare shooting performance that used a fair amount of sloppy luck. At that point we got down so big we spent the 2nd half just chipping away at the deficit until we were down only 3, only to have that asshole hit two more threes to put the nail in the coffin.

Then of course in the next game there they are missing wide open shots.... I hate Oregon. Can’t cheer for them in anything after that game.

I was around 12, so I barely remember it. I might dig it up and watch, but I’d probably just get pissed off.
You’ll get pissed. That Arizona team wasn’t much to write home about all year then they went in maybe the hottest 6 game stretch I’ve ever seen from a team. Played out of their minds. And were helped out by KU missing every jumper they put up. That game may hurt more than any other. It was probably the best KU team ever...should have won it all that year.. Losing that one reminds me of that UK team that was so dominant in the late 90s and failed to win it.

Let me give this a try.

1) 1997
2) 2008
3) 2010
4) 2002
5) 1998
6) 2007
7) 2011
8) 2003
9) 2017
10) 2016
11) 1996
12) 2012
13) 2013
14) 2004
15) 2009
16) 2018
17) 2014
18) 2006
19) 2001
20) 2005
21) 2015
22) 1999
23) 2019
24) 2000
2020 TBD

I think both of you underrate the ‘18 team. They got off to a rough start, but that was a strong team by season’s end. I’m not sure any of these teams had a better trio of shooters. Then you had Azubuike down low.

You’ll get pissed. That Arizona team wasn’t much to write home about all year then they went in maybe the hottest 6 game stretch I’ve ever seen from a team. Played out of their minds. And were helped out by KU missing every jumper they put up. That game may hurt more than any other. It was probably the best KU team ever...should have won it all that year.. Losing that one reminds me of that UK team that was so dominant in the late 90s and failed to win it.

I think you might be thinking of that same 97 Tournament with UK. We lost to the same Arizona team in the Final. Derek Anderson (our second best player) came in for a technical free throw, but otherwise we didn't have him from January on. What a run by Arizona. Probably made Bibby millions.

You just probably didn't pay attention to them during the season.
They showed moments of brilliance but nothing that was consistent.
This was when the PAC 10 was still a tough basketball conference. Stanford, UCLA and Arizona went into the tournament all capable of making a deep run.

That game was close pretty much the entire game until Arizona went on a run.
But KU didn't give up. They had a winning mentality and put a scare into Arizona.

As a neutral observer I really enjoyed that game.
Like I said even as a Sweet 16 game it still sticks out 25 years later.

I think you might be thinking of that same 97 Tournament with UK. We lost to the same Arizona team in the Final. Derek Anderson (our second best player) came in for a technical free throw, but otherwise we didn't have him from January on. What a run by Arizona. Probably made Bibby millions.

Could have made Miles Simon some as well.
I had just got out of the USMC and was living out in California at the time and was familiar with his family.
They really thought another year could have made him a Top 5 pick.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I like Kansas a little bit because I went to high school with Christian Moody. And he's actually an amazingly down-to-earth individual. Articulate, funny, and not full of himself at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT