ADVERTISEMENT

Bookie finds his home

what was your biggest issue with him?
First, he is reportedly a great intangibles/locker room/character guy. I've never heard a bad interview with him and don't have a poor opinion of him as a person, and I really don't think many OU fans feel different on that.

Second, on the field Bookie was a continual liability. He is small and slow, which isn't really his fault as much as the way offense schemes have trended. It was typically a case where Bookie was covering taller, faster, stronger receivers. He hurt himself trying to be a factor. His 5-star ranking may have put unrealistic expectations on him.

Example, this hit:

The KSU TE came back in the game next series. Bookie missed multiple weeks.

Third, Bookie has dealt with a rash of crap about stupid penalties, his ejection against LSU being the archetypical one mentioned. Many OU fans die on the hill this was his worst problem, I think he's just a guy playing football in a way that wouldn't be penalized ten years ago. He might have been frustrated with issue #2 that played a role in this.

TL;DR - Bookie was small and slow and unless playing nickle or having slot duties, routinely was the soft spot. OU has bigger, faster, longer guys that are physically more qualified to play the position.

Good luck, Bookie.

ADVERTISEMENT