ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshear withdrawing from NBA draft

That’s what we have been hearing for awhile now but at this point I will believe it when he enrolls...

He wouldn't be the first VT to UF transfer. Jalen Hudson was pretty solid for you guys. Blackshear would be an excellent grad transfer. He's one of my favorite non-UVA players in the ACC and that's hard for me to say since he plays for VT.

Reactions: kl40504
I would guess the most likely destinations in order would be...

1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Virginia Tech
4. Texas A&M
I agree with this list.

But if I have 1 year to prove I'm an NBA player, I'm not going to a school that is in rebuild mode, I'm going where I have the best chance to look and play like a pro.

The Blackshear family has played their cards close to the vest on this one, but in reality, nobody knows anything.

Up until yesterday, he was concentrating on impressing NBA personnel. I can't imagine the Blackshear's even know where Kerry is leaning yet.

I agree with this list.

But if I have 1 year to prove I'm an NBA player, I'm not going to a school that is in rebuild mode, I'm going where I have the best chance to look and play like a pro.

The Blackshear family has played their cards close to the vest on this one, but in reality, nobody knows anything.

Up until yesterday, he was concentrating on impressing NBA personnel. I can't imagine the Blackshear's even know where Kerry is leaning yet.

I can’t imagine a 20 and 10 player in a big P5 conference is going to get anymore exposure than what he already has. There just has to be something scouts don’t like. Usually a guy averaging those numbers is gone. Especially in a weak draft. It makes me think he won’t make it regardless of where he goes

I can’t imagine a 20 and 10 player in a big P5 conference is going to get anymore exposure than what he already has. There just has to be something scouts don’t like. Usually a guy averaging those numbers is gone. Especially in a weak draft. It makes me think he won’t make it regardless of where he goes
You could be right.

It blows my mind how UK loses kids after their freshman year that had a mediocre season, but a guy like Blackshear can't get drafted.

I do think playing in a pro system with a coach that has proven he is connected to what the NBA is looking for, would be the best position for KB to be in.

Going to aTm or VT will put the nail in his NBA coffin for sure.

You could be right.

It blows my mind how UK loses kids after their freshman year that had a mediocre season, but a guy like Blackshear can't get drafted.

I do think playing in a pro system with a coach that has proven he is connected to what the NBA is looking for, would be the best position for KB to be in.

NBA drafts on potential not production. Reid Travis had a very good year at UK and still probably won’t get drafted.

NBA drafts on potential not production. Reid Travis had a very good year at UK and still probably won’t get drafted.

Travis (and Blackshear) are just about a decade too late. Centers only are kind of worthless in today's NBA unless they are elite elite (Embiid).

Reactions: KisteK and jhmossy
Trust me, I'm a UK fan, I know all about what the NBA is interested in. We see kids underperform every year, then end up getting an NBA contract, simply because they have "potential".

But Kerry Blackshear has potential. In my opinion he has proven he has potential.

Here's something else though. Put Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, Jared Vanderbilt and Hamidu Diallo on Virginia Tech, you think any of those players ends up going pro after 1 year? I don't.

Seems like just playing at UK gives these kids an advantage. I'm not saying Calipari is a better coach than Buzz (he is though) I'm saying that's what UK has become. Playing for UK and/or Duke highlights these kids better than anyone else.

Trust me, I'm a UK fan, I know all about what the NBA is interested in. We see kids underperform every year, then end up getting an NBA contract, simply because they have "potential".

But Kerry Blackshear has potential. In my opinion he has proven he has potential.

Here's something else though. Put Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, Jared Vanderbilt and Hamidu Diallo on Virginia Tech, you think any of those players ends up going pro after 1 year? I don't.

Seems like just playing at UK gives these kids an advantage. I'm not saying Calipari is a better coach than Buzz (he is though) I'm saying that's what UK has become. Playing for UK and/or Duke highlights these kids better than anyone else.

I'll agree that Duke and UK give players inherent advantages, such as media exposure. That's why it's so satisfying to overcome these additional hurdles to win a championship.

Reactions: kyjeff1
You could be right.

Its also bc these Grad Transfer types are all much older than all the Frosh with "potential"

If Blackshear does indeed transfer to a non-ACC school, it will be the first time in history that no player from 1st or 2nd team All-ACC returns the following year

1st team
Zion Williamson - draft
RJ Barrett - draft
De'Andre Hunter - draft
Cameron Johnson - graduation
Kyle Guy - draft

2nd team
Luke Maye - draft
Ky Bowman - draft
Ty Jerome - draft
Coby White - draft
Kerry Blackshear - ???

Blackshear is probably the best recruit in the country. Certainly the best of all the recruits expected to go one and done.

Reactions: kl40504
...where you hearing that?
My job. It's where I get most my UM news. Granted they're biased, but well connected biased. if that means anything.

Edit: and just like that, these guys are celebrating. ***s.

Last edited:
Slater made it seem like he was going to pop for Arkansas the other day

I read today where Blackshear wants to play for a team that has a good chance at a final four. We'll see if he visits UK next week. I understand that UF is leading. They'll be top 20. Unless Memphis is making a big push, and I haven't heard a peep about that, it'll be UF or UK.

Reactions: UF1Delt
I read today where Blackshear wants to play for a team that has a good chance at a final four. We'll see if he visits UK next week. I understand that UF is leading. They'll be top 20. Unless Memphis is making a big push, and I haven't heard a peep about that, it'll be UF or UK.

I think Memphis' sell is that Blackshear will give them experience to compete for a FF. I'm sure that's what they said to Tucker, but he ended up committing and opting for the NBA, which who wouldn't if you got a guarantee.

Lot of smoke he might commit during the UK trip starting today. Anyone else hearing anything? Would be fantastic news for UK to get someone like him at the 11th hour.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Lot of smoke he might commit during the UK trip starting today. Anyone else hearing anything? Would be fantastic news for UK to get someone like him at the 11th hour.

One big man that was going reclass, announced 2 days ago he wasn't going to. This kid loves UK and wants to play here. So there might be some smoke somewhere. Cal is going to make a strong pitch..

Reactions: JC for 3
Could be a big day for UK.

Hagans
Maxey
Whitney
Montgomery
Blackshear

Quickley
Brooks
Richards
Sestina
Juzang
Allen

Hell of a team
The very last thing any non-UK fan wants to see is Kerry Blackshear added to the roster.

The 5 spot was the one chink in the armor for UK next season. KB immediately turns that into an elite position for UK when you figure EJ, Sestina and Richards will add really good depth there.

The very last thing any non-UK fan wants to see is Kerry Blackshear added to the roster.

The 5 spot was the one chink in the armor for UK next season. KB immediately turns that into an elite position for UK when you figure EJ, Sestina and Richards will add really good depth there.
Yea I agree for sure. Also, only the second time since Cal's been here he's returned his starting point guard. The last time? A final four.

So many UK "insiders' celebrating. Think of this time when using it against them in the future.

Still think he's going to Memphis.

So many UK "insiders' celebrating. Think of this time when using it against them in the future.

Still think he's going to Memphis.

I don’t think it’s Memphis. If i had to guess i would say Florida but could easily be Uk too at this point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT