ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Donovan return to college ball?

Big_C_KU

Gold Member
May 27, 2004
Going separate ways from OKC. Have to think he’s gonna be #1 on every schools list after this season if they have an opening. Will be interesting to see what spots open up. What schools will have a coach on the hot seat this year?

not it.

It was funny back in the day with him looking a like a Munsters character....now that he's grey, it's a little unsettling.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Perfect storm for Kansas. Billy sits the year out, Kansas cans Self and hires Donovan.

I don't know who has the money to pay him.

Everyone including the NBA is getting hit.
The question is does he want to stay in the NBA

If there is someone who wants to put up the money for Texas basketball I could see them make the move. Interested if Texas has money set aside from the arena for a new men's coach.

If there is someone who wants to put up the money for Texas basketball I could see them make the move. Interested if Texas has money set aside from the arena for a new men's coach.
Donovan is/seems/pretty sure an East coast guy.

Donovan is/seems/pretty sure an East coast guy.

We will find out in the next 3 weeks about the NBA.
If he doesn't take a job then it will be about what college jobs are open.
What places on the East Coast can pay him. Don't think he wants to take a drastic pay cut or one at all.
That puts a lot of programs out of question.

Arizona is another one to watch.
If it is college.

We will find out in the next 3 weeks about the NBA.
If he doesn't take a job then it will be about what jobs are open.
What places on the East Coast can pay him. Don't think he wants to take a drastic pay cut or one at all.
That puts a lot of programs out of question

Laughing sorry, I misread and thought you were asking if East schools had money.

I'm fairly certain he wouldn't mind old money.

The question is does he want to stay in the NBA

Assuming marble mouth still knows people that will take his call, I did see this earlier.

It makes sense too. He didn’t flame out by any means, just got involved with a mid-market franchise that thinks too highly of itself.

[to be fair, the region did just produce NFL, MLB, and NHL champs in the past 5 years, so what do I know?]

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Assuming marble mouth still knows people that will take his call, I did see this earlier.

It makes sense too. He didn’t flame out by any means, just got involved with a mid-market franchise that thinks too highly of itself.

[to be fair, the region did just produce NFL, MLB, and NHL champs in the past 5 years, so what do I know?]

I have always said that he will be able to get another job and the choice is his.

Financially NBA can pay more.

I have always said that he will be able to get another job and the choice is his.

Financially NBA can pay more.

Oh, for sure. Though, at his age and level of success, I wouldn’t think compensation is a real swaying factor anymore. I assume it’s all about legacy at this point.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Oh, for sure. Though, at his age and level of success, I wouldn’t think compensation is a real swaying factor anymore. I assume it’s all about legacy at this point.

The question is does he want a front office role as well.

Possibly why he left OKC.

If he can get both he could be making 9-11 million a year.
Gregg Popovich is the highest paid coach but he has both roles and makes 11 million a year

To win. Philadelphia could be a very good place for him if he is looking for that
Problem is that Billy Donovan doesn't always get along with star players
Durant and Westbrook being the examples

Reactions: kausrical and Hank_
Coach K will retire soon I think, the Duke Bluedevil's head coach spot will open up for Billy Donovan.

Donovan will have two NBA offers in the next month or two.

He’s staying in the NBA. People need to realize that’s the better job if they have the choice. Donovan has the choice.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Duke will keep it in the family. As will UNC. How about Notre Dame? Like Florida when Billy arrived, Notre Dame is a program that has the potential to be consistently excellent. And Billy is Irish-Catholic along with it.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Perfect storm for Kansas. Billy sits the year out, Kansas cans Self and hires Donovan.
Could be the perfect storm for a few.....Kansas, UNC....possibly Duke. I see, as you implied, Billy D. sitting out a year, waiting.......

He is going to sit out a year regardless if he is looking to return to college.

We will find out soon. In the next 3-4 weeks.

If he does return to college.
Texas, Arizona and Indiana are most likely the places.

Unless Texas has money for a coach put away from their new arena I don't see them paying the money for Billy Donovan.
The will to win at basketball is probably much more at Indiana and Arizona.

I think he stays in the NBA.

How is his relationship with Chris Paul?
Philadelphia looking to bring in Chris Paul.
If him and Billy Donovan are close I think he ends up there. Philly is a ready made basketball team.

Reactions: rdgtr
Duke will keep it in the family. As will UNC. How about Notre Dame? Like Florida when Billy arrived, Notre Dame is a program that has the potential to be consistently excellent. And Billy is Irish-Catholic along with it.
I have been told not to post on this board, but I can't let this go.

Notre Dame has a small chance of being excellent. It never has been excellent and in my view it never will be. Notre Dame football will not go with the basketball program. This makes Notre Dame basketball an after thought. The ACC is a great basketball conference but Notre Dame does not do well in basketball and they don't participate 'much' in football.

Billy had a great class one year at Florida. What else did he do? Did UF dominate the SEC? NO. He sure as hell was not "consistently excellent".

Reactions: IUBtown
We are going away from one and dones...

Going to be hard in the near future to stop players from signing with the G League

Especially when the NBA starts valuing those players because they are more ready.

Donovan won in an era without one and dones.
Jay Wright for the most part has taken that mantle as the best coach with 2-4 year guys.
But when Donovan was coaching he was that guy. Who could build a roster with guys who were going to stay a few years

We will find out.
I think most want him in Philadelphia. But ultimately it is his choice.

Only way I can see him returning is that he wants to build his own team at the college level

I have been told not to post on this board, but I can't let this go.

Billy had a great class one year at Florida. What else did he do? Did UF dominate the SEC? NO. He sure as hell was not "consistently excellent".
Bert, Bert, Bert....Look my friend, I mean, well buddy you are just wrong, here.

At Florida, Donovan went to 4 Final Fours....Won 2 National titles...Went to 7 Elite 8's, and won the SEC Reg season title 7X's....Won 4 SEC tourney titles...I mean, well Bert, that's pretty "consistently excellent".

And look,he had more than just "one great class, one year..." He went to the FF in 2000....Then again in 2006 and 2007.....Then again in 2014. MOF, he went to 4 straight Elite 8's from 2011-2014.

Donovan was very good at Florida....And very consistent..

Ya gotta let go of him telling UK no----------Twice.Winking

Following a legend is the worst Job in college sports.

If you take the top 5 coaches in the history of College Basketball
Pretty much all the coaches who have followed them have been fired or were pushed out.

Best job is to follow the guy who follows the legend.
Brown, Williams, and Self would disagree.

Brown, Williams, and Self would disagree.
I wouldn't call Brown a legend,exactly...Not in terms of his time at Kansas.He was there only 5 seasons. Its not like he(Brown) was at KU for 25 years....won a few titles, etc, etc...Hell, he lost 10 or more games 3 times...Fluke title in 88 on the back of a ridiculous NCAAT performance by Mr. Manning. Heck IMO, his best team was easily the 86 team that lost to Duke in the FF. Then he left amid an NCAA investigation.

Larry made his name in the NBA----Not Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT