ADVERTISEMENT

Bill's player retires at halftime

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-halftime-vs-chargers-lorenzo-alexander-says

Folks see this story?

I saw a few players respond negatively... but if you read the guys statement, it's hard for me to get too worked up; he literally said something was feeling physically wrong. If a guy was THAT messed up that he would quit at halftime... well, I wouldn't be upset, I'd be glad he left, because he clearly shouldn't be in there, and someone being in there like that... they are either going to hurt themselves, or get someone else hurt.

Crazy story. Looking forward to see the eventual interview, see what he says. Gotta wonder what his history of concussions is like.

Last edited:
Running backs really don't last long - and for good reason. I thought it was crazy when Robert Smith retired when he was 28 (2nd in the NFL in rushing yards in his final season). But these guys really shouldn't be playing past age 30... their bodies have been taking a beating for quite some time.

Still amazed that Emmitt Smith was able to sustain crushing blows for 15 years... his rushing record is going to stand for sometime.

How soon after leaving did he put out that statement? Almost seems like he had it teed up and ready to go.

Also, I read that his contract stated if he suited up and started a game then his $5 million this year was guaranteed? Any truth to that or is that just mainboard talk?

I hope he retired because he wasn’t feeling right and not because of any contract guarantees. I’ll take him for his word for now but I’m still skeptical.

Reactions: dukedevilz
How soon after leaving did he put out that statement? Almost seems like he had it teed up and ready to go.

Also, I read that his contract stated if he suited up and started a game then his $5 million this year was guaranteed? Any truth to that or is that just mainboard talk?

I hope he retired because he wasn’t feeling right and not because of any contract guarantees. I’ll take him for his word for now but I’m still skeptical.

I hadn't heard that... but for five million...

Reactions: schoonerwest

Someone put it out on Twitter. Not true. He will still get almost 2 million of that contract though but he will have to pay back part of his signing bonus which was 1.5 million.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Let the guy retire when he wants. Only guys he has to answer to are his coaches/teammates/organization imo. I am sure Vernon Davis is gonna get questions about his brother this week.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Running backs really don't last long - and for good reason. I thought it was crazy when Robert Smith retired when he was 28 (2nd in the NFL in rushing yards in his final season). But these guys really shouldn't be playing past age 30... their bodies have been taking a beating for quite some time.

Still amazed that Emmitt Smith was able to sustain crushing blows for 15 years... his rushing record is going to stand for sometime.
Davis is a db , not rb

Guy did the Bills a favor IMO. It was clear from preseason up through today that he was not NFL ready this year, give the roster spot and reps to someone else in this throwaway season.

ADVERTISEMENT