ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self

Big_C_KU

Gold Member
May 27, 2004
He has deserved all the criticism in the world for his team's performances in the E8. But man he coached a magnificent game tonight from the game plan entering the game to the small adjustments in game and at the half.

He has also won the last 3 vs K, Roy, and Cal. 9 straight against those 3 coaches.

Self did his best job coaching this year. He had a limited lineup but has got his kids playing lights out.

Reactions: KisteK
Last 3 years for Self
33-5 elite 8
31-5 elite 8
31-7 final 4

Pretty damn good. He’s done a great job this year.
Seems like we say this often but this year might be his most incredible coaching job to date. This team looked lost and like they were destined for a 2nd round exit just two months ago. Newman was out of place, Vick lost his ability to be aggressive and DeSousa couldn’t play 2 minutes with turning the ball over once and getting two fouls. This is turn around that no ku fan saw coming.

Seems like we say this often but this year might be his most incredible coaching job to date. This team looked lost and like they were destined for a 2nd round exit just two months ago. Newman was out of place, Vick lost his ability to be aggressive and DeSousa couldn’t play 2 minutes with turning the ball over once and getting two fouls. This is turn around that no ku fan saw coming.

Newman has finally looked like the player he was in AAU ball. Guy was incredible. Then he blew chunks at Miss State and for you guys for half the year. Downside is now I bet he leaves.

Reactions: jayhawker332
I think what he has been able to do with this team without Azibouki is what was most impressive. The big 13 tournament and then basically today since the foul trouble

He has done an excellent job all year, and man was he ever relieved, you could see it in his face.
Those fist pumps were something else. Man he was he fired up but as you said, relieved.

The dude is one of the best coaches if not the best but gets no credit.

His team next year is going to be different but just might be every bit as good. I full expect Dok to be back.

Silvio/Dok/Lawson will be the best frontcourt in the nation.

He has deserved all the criticism in the world for his team's performances in the E8. But man he coached a magnificent game tonight from the game plan entering the game to the small adjustments in game and at the half.

He has also won the last 3 vs K, Roy, and Cal. 9 straight against those 3 coaches.
What do you think he did specifically?

What do you think he did specifically?

Great defensive game plan to begin the game. Gave up open looks but played the % with Duke shooting. He knew Duke had guys who could shoot the ball in Allen and Trent but also knew they were streaky. He was in no way going to let Carter and Bagley beat him.

The adjustments to attack the zone at halftime. Had players running baseline to baseline to the open corner. Guards driving and setting screens inside. Small tweaks on offense but it worked wonders.

Those fist pumps were something else. Man he was he fired up but as you said, relieved.

The dude is one of the best coaches if not the best but gets no credit.

His team next year is going to be different but just might be every bit as good. I full expect Dok to be back.

Silvio/Dok/Lawson will be the best frontcourt in the nation.

Don't forget the center McCormack.

And a young but very talented backcourt. If Azubuike returns it'll be the deepest and most talented KU team in many years.

With the win, he’s still one shy of Adolph Rupp’s all-time record for losses in the regional finals

Reactions: KUhawks34
Self about to join an elite club: coaches win multiple NCs currently there are only 2 others

Self adapted. His high low wasn’t really working and he changed.

I’m glad. Remember when he “couldn’t develop point guards”?

for all his bashing he gets for his elite eight record, its really not that bad when you look the individual games. Yes he is 3-7 all time, but look at the games
1999-00 Tulsa was a 7 seed that lost to the 8 seed.
2000-01 Illinois was a 1 seed that lost to a 2
2003--04 Kansas was a 4 seed that lost to the 3 seed
06-07 KU 1 seed lost to the 2 seed
07-08 KU 1 seed beat a 10 seed
10-11 KU 1 seed lost to an 11 seed.....easily the worst loss
11-12 KU 2 seed beat the 1 seed
15-16 KU 1 seed lost to the 2 seed
16-17 KU 1 seed lost to the 3 seed played a bad game......second bad loss
17-18 KU won beat a 2 seed
Nobody expected the Tulsa, 03-04 KU, teams to win and they didn't. He's lost to the 2 seed 3 times. His only bad losses are to VCU and to Oregon...........well in the elite 8 that is.

I think self does better when expectations aren't as high. They were a 1 seed but more people picked MSU and Duke out of that region.

I think more will pick nova as well. So that bodes well for Kansas I think.

I wonder if Romeo Langford watched this one. Certainly wasn’t watching Indiana.

I think Langford is going to go somewhere he can take 30 shots a game.

He may have watched Kansas but a lot of kids probably watched trey young all year too. Is what it is.

Reactions: KisteK
I like his chances with a week to prepare and similar talent level. Self is 2-0 in semifinals. Have to think Graham is due for a good shooting game.

I think Langford is going to go somewhere he can take 30 shots a game.

He may have watched Kansas but a lot of kids probably watched trey young all year too. Is what it is.
If he chooses the TY route after watching that disaster, then Langford is an idiot.

Play for a coach who will actually make you better, not expose all your weaknesses, and allow you to win something.

Reactions: rockchalk4ever
If he chooses the TY route after watching that disaster, then Langford is an idiot.

Play for a coach who will actually make you better, not expose all your weaknesses, and allow you to win something.

Youngs draft stock improved though.

Reactions: cooljeff
What a game that was last night. Interesting tidbit I looked up last night: Bill Self has NEVER made a Final Four when his NCAA tournament path didn't include Omaha. 0-for-16

When he does come to Omaha, he's 3-for-4

Self should petition the NCAA that Omaha serves as a permanent host site for the Midwest Region. Just need to trade off the first and second weekends every year to make it fair. KC can host the regional final the other years.

ADVERTISEMENT