ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self signs lifetime contract

So KU is desperate to keep him, interesting. As a neutral fan though, its more fun if Bill Self goes to UNC so we can finally answer the one question that has been puzzling me for years. Guess we will never find out whether KU's choke jobs were consequences of Bill Self being a choke artist, or that KU is just a cursed program.

I just read the ESPN article in which Larry Brown said he hopes Roy gets to choose his successor, but it doesn't necessarily sound like that will be the case. I know Roy has already given his input and he likely said Davis. The AD said he prefers someone with head coaching experience but it's not required. He also said it's important to keep it in the family, "but it's not the only factor."

How bout Robinson? FSU fans will vouch for his greatness.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Fixed it for you
calipari-haters.jpg

Contract was written a year ago, but never signed. Not sure exactly what they were waiting for, but I know the reason for the timing it was completed.

KU is about to hire a new AD and many of the top candidates needed assurance that on top of all the other messes going on a KU right now, they don't have to deal with:
A) Having your name on the dotted line on a contract for a coach that will enviably be hit with some kind of punishment.
B) Have to be the guy/gal who has to find the next coach after having the trio of Larry Brown, Roy Williams & Bill Self for the last 40 years.

Contract was written a year ago, but never signed. Not sure exactly what they were waiting for, but I know the reason for the timing it was completed.

KU is about to hire a new AD and many of the top candidates needed assurance that on top of all the other messes going on a KU right now, they don't have to deal with:
A) Having your name on the dotted line on a contract for a coach that will enviably be hit with some kind of punishment.
B) Have to be the guy/gal who has to find the next coach after having the trio of Larry Brown, Roy Williams & Bill Self for the last 40 years.
I wouldn’t have included LB in that.

So KU is desperate to keep him, interesting. As a neutral fan though, its more fun if Bill Self goes to UNC so we can finally answer the one question that has been puzzling me for years. Guess we will never find out whether KU's choke jobs were consequences of Bill Self being a choke artist, or that KU is just a cursed program.
Cursed. Danny Manning and company sold their souls for the '88 title and it's been biting us ever since.

Though in the last 12 years, Self has been to I think 8 Elite Eights, 3 Final Fours, 2 title games, and won a title. He's been pretty consistent at not choking over the last several years.

But there is something to that curse thing. Between players hitting ridiculous buzzer beating shots against us, banking in threes, and last year having our best team since '08(and against a relatively weak field) not able to even compete due to COVID.... I do sometimes wonder if there is an actual curse. One program can only absorb so much bad luck.

ADVERTISEMENT