ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self going to take it to the NCAA

5thGenJayhawk

May 6, 2015
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...onsidering-legal-action-vs-ncaa-attorney-says

F' it, why not!!

Hope he can go in as dry as possible on the NCAA. Should be very entertaining to see what happens.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...onsidering-legal-action-vs-ncaa-attorney-says

F' it, why not!!

Hope he can go in as dry as possible on the NCAA. Should be very entertaining to see what happens.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
He’s probably screwed which really sucks. I bet every coach in America is on his side in this. You even have Mike Brey, the president of the NABC, saying that this is something that they all do. I don’t think it will matter though when it comes to their decision. I just hope we don’t turn into Indiana when it’s all over.

The old “everybody does it, why you picking on me” defense. Laughing

I would say more "tried and true". Whether you dislike Bill or KU, you need to see what this could do in terms of any coach vs. the pathetic NCAA and hope he comes out victorious. The real enemy is the NCAA and has been for a very long time.

You want a league where cheating is ok?

Of course not. But I am a realist. Look at the entire college basketball landscape tho. Don't tell me you are one of those UK or any other fans that thinks everything you do is 100% because that is straight nonsense. I'm not throwing stones and never have or would. But that is naive. Clearly my school has their hands full with their own issues.

I do believe the scale is and always has been: we can push the envelope a little bit all the way up to lets have our boosters/apparel companies help us out with cash or cars or strippers or "classes" or homes for families or jobs for family members, the list goes on and on. This has always been happening and will continue to do so.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
He’s probably screwed which really sucks. I bet every coach in America is on his side in this. You even have Mike Brey, the president of the NABC, saying that this is something that they all do. I don’t think it will matter though when it comes to their decision. I just hope we don’t turn into Indiana when it’s all over.
You wouldn't rather have 5 titles?:D

Also, KU since 1988,has exactly ONE title...Sure, a lot of FF's. But I mean, ONE title in 31 years....I mean, that parts prety much, well, "Indiana like"..Winking

You wouldn't rather have 5 titles?:D

Also, KU since 1988,has exactly ONE title...Sure, a lot of FF's. But I mean, ONE title in 31 years....I mean, that parts prety much, well, "Indiana like"..Winking

Even though they should have more, they’re top 5 in titles in those 32 years.

Indiana is tied for last.

This is like OJ searching for the real killer.

A text that reads “we good?” is enough to equate him to OJ, huh?

Mike Brey would seemingly know more, and he’s been outspoken about the fact that all coaches work the shoe company angle to get players.

I remember when USC football thought they were going to take the fight to the NCAA. It didn't end well for them.

I just have a feeling this isn't going to end well for Bill. It may take until he is basically ready to retire for anything to happen, but this will end his college coaching one way or another.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
What sucks is that KU deemed Grassanola a booster because the NCAA wouldn't rule on Desosa until KU did. KU made him a booster, NCAA hammers Desosa and then hammers KU. SHould have just cut ties with Desosa and none of this would have happened. Think KU was trying to keep a banner from 2018. Should have just said fvck it and moved on.

What sucks is that KU deemed Grassanola a booster because the NCAA wouldn't rule on Desosa until KU did. KU made him a booster, NCAA hammers Desosa and then hammers KU. SHould have just cut ties with Desosa and none of this would have happened. Think KU was trying to keep a banner from 2018. Should have just said fvck it and moved on.
They were forced into hypothetically saying he could be a booster by the ncaa using a student atheletes future as a tool. That might not sit well with some people

Of course not. But I am a realist. Look at the entire college basketball landscape tho. Don't tell me you are one of those UK or any other fans that thinks everything you do is 100% because that is straight nonsense. I'm not throwing stones and never have or would. But that is naive. Clearly my school has their hands full with their own issues.

I do believe the scale is and always has been: we can push the envelope a little bit all the way up to lets have our boosters/apparel companies help us out with cash or cars or strippers or "classes" or homes for families or jobs for family members, the list goes on and on. This has always been happening and will continue to do so.

Here's the thing, be honest. If UK got caught paying anthony Davis 8 years ago, would you advocate for UK getting off the hook because everyone paid players?

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Here's the thing, be honest. If UK got caught paying anthony Davis 8 years ago, would you advocate for UK getting off the hook because everyone paid players?
The difference is if it would have been the university or someone affiliated with the university than no you shouldn’t have gotten off the hook. This was a company paying recruits, they have nothing to do with Kansas except they also pay Kansas to wear their gear. Do each benefit together if the high recruits go to Kansas and also wear adidas? Yes. But ku is not responsible for the actions of a company.

Reactions: KisteK
The difference is if it would have been the university or someone affiliated with the university than no you shouldn’t have gotten off the hook. This was a company paying recruits, they have nothing to do with Kansas except they also pay Kansas to wear their gear. Do each benefit together if the high recruits go to Kansas and also wear adidas? Yes. But ku is not responsible for the actions of a company.

Hypothetically, if that company was paying a coach to pay one player $300 to leave school early instead of attend your school, would you expect to get a one year postseason ban? Because that’s the numb nuts that you’re dealing with now

There is no sign of payments by the program. As Brey has pointed out, every coach uses shoe companies to help them get players. He says that he talks to shoe reps more than parents.

Btw, do you think the NCAA should be investigating Hagans?

Last edited:

You keep saying “Kansas didn’t pay him” but Self clearly knew something was going down.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Did you read the Mike Brey quote?

He explains it as clearly as one could.

boost·er
/ˈbo͞ostər
noun
  1. 1.
    a keen promoter of a person, organization, or cause.

Kansas admitted to the adidas rep being a booster.

“We good” is a reference to getting DeSousa away from Maryland after the $20000 payment.

The old “Everybody does it defense” hasn’t been very successful in the past. But best of luck with it.

boost·er
/ˈbo͞ostər
noun
  1. 1.
    a keen promoter of a person, organization, or cause.

Kansas admitted to the adidas rep being a booster.

“We good” is a reference to getting DeSousa away from Maryland after the $20000 payment.

The old “Everybody does it defense” hasn’t been very successful in the past. But best of luck with it.

What’s happened in the past is kind of irrelevant, given that the ruling will come from a new independent panel.

And they’ve made it clear that they’re going to emphatically dispute the notion of Adidas as a booster. It’s no secret that they only designated them as such to help De Sousa.

If I were Bill Self I would too. He got nothing to lose but they got the goods on him and Adidas.

What’s happened in the past is kind of irrelevant, given that the ruling will come from a new independent panel.

And they’ve made it clear that they’re going to emphatically dispute the notion of Adidas as a booster. It’s no secret that they only designated them as such to help De Sousa.

Gonna retract the confession, huh? If the athletic department is so shortsighted as to admit to something that could potentially hamstring you down the road, then they deserve all they get.

Gonna retract the confession, huh? If the athletic department is so shortsighted as to admit to something that could potentially hamstring you down the road, then they deserve all they get.
Dude, you’re looking at this all wrong. You seem to have already made up your mind that they are guilty. As a fan of CBB and the way it operates you don’t want the NCAA to hammer Self here. They are really overstepping their power on this one. If the President of the NABC has got your back then I’m willing to bet nearly every coach in America does too.

Just as a fan of college basketball, I want the NCAA to fail at every opportunity.

I hope KU comes out ok, or at least manageable and would love to see Self win a court case.

Even though we've lost a few games, I've really enjoyed the KU/UK yearly games.

Reactions: KisteK
Honestly I wouldn’t care because I know every school in America does it. If you don’t think UK, Duke, UNC etc aren’t doing it then you are as ignorant as they come. I’m sure Davis got paid. We knew he was playing and UK beat us that night. I witnessed it. I also witnessed Louisville beat Michigan. Nobody was bitching about any of the players playing in those teams until after the fact. if you think your school hasn’t paid players before then you also think Zion went to Duke for free.

Reactions: Villian07
ADVERTISEMENT