ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest “What Ifs” in Your Schools history

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
I’ll go first for MSU. This season can not be a what if, it’s the same for everyone, doesn’t count.

in chronological order

1. What if the clock hadn’t stopped incorrectly against top seeded Kansas in 86’ sweet sixteen, letting them send it to overtime and win.

2. What if Kalin Lucas didn’t blow out his achilles in 2010 against Maryland in the sweet sixteen. Still made the Final Four, but could we have beaten Butler with him healthy?

3. What if Brandon Dawson didn’t tear his ACL against OSU in the last game of the regular season in 2012. We lost that game on a buzzer beater, and it cost us a sole big ten title, and with him healthy could we have gone farther in March?

4. What if the 2013-14 team wasn’t ravaged with injuries. That team was the most talented MSU team fully healthy this century in my opinion, but no one could stay healthy. Keith Appling, poised to take a big leap after a great Junior season, hurt his wrist. Was never the same shooter. Adriean Payne got hurt and missed a lot of time. Brandon Dawson broke his wrist. We lost in the elite 8 to 7 seed Connecticut, who went on to win it all. Fully healthy, we win that game.

5. What if we didn’t get upset in the first round in 2016? We we’re hitting our stride at the right time. Everyone was healthy, we were winning games. It’s regarded as one of the top 3 tournament upsets ever. We fell apart defensively, but MTSU could not miss either.

I would include 18-19 with all the injuries, but I think we actually played better afterwards. Langfords injury allowed Cassius to become Cassius, and Ward’s injury allowed Tillman to become Tillman.

Easy. What if... Kliff Kingsbury could have fielded even a below average defense, instead of one of the all time worst defenses, during the Pat Mahomes era. He was good enough to win us a lot of games had he not been in shootouts every damn game. Wasted a once in a generation player because inept coaches. Thanks Kliff.

Easy. What if... Kliff Kingsbury could have fielded even a below average defense, instead of one of the all time worst defenses, during the Pat Mahomes era. He was good enough to win us a lot of games had he not been in shootouts every damn game. Wasted a once in a generation player because inept coaches. Thanks Kliff.
Not the right board but I like the enthusiasm

We would have skull fvcked Indiana in the FF and The Cuse

They didn't have the talent to run with us.

The whole program would have changed forever

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
tenor.gif

What if we hired someone else besides Tony Bennett?

What if the committee doesn't put NCAA favorite MSU as a 4-seed in our bracket in 2014?

What if Justin Anderson never gets injured in 2015?

What if we don't choke vs. Syracuse in the 2016 Elite 8?

What if DeAndre Hunter doesn't get injured in 2018?

What if the NCAA selection committee doesn't give us a 1 seed in 2018 because DeAndre Hunter got injured?

What if Clark to Diakite doesn't happen vs. Purdue?

What if they called the foul that led to the double dribble vs. Auburn?

What if they didn't call the obvious foul on Kyle Guy vs. Auburn?

What if DeAndre Hunter doesn't hit the 3 to tie vs. Texas Tech?

Last edited:
Purdue:
1) What if Big Dog doesn’t fck up his back while wrestling with a teammate in the hotel the night before the ‘94 Elite Eight against Duke?
2) What if Robbie Hummel doesn’t tear an ACL at the end of the regular season when Purdue was poised to take over the #1 ranking?
3) What if Robbie Hummel doesn’t tear his acl again the season after?
4) What if Isaac Haas doesn’t break his elbow in the first round of the ‘18 tourney because of a dirty arm lock takedown, which ultimately led to the rule change that everyone hates right now?
5) What if UVA doesn’t make a 1,000,000:1 play in the ‘19 Elite Eight game? Does Carsen go full Kemba and win a title?
6) What if #1 seed Purdue doesn’t play like dog sht and then fumble the ball off their foot at the end of the game in the ‘88 S16 against a KSU team they beat by about a hundred earlier in the season?

I don’t care what the OP says, it has to be this year. We were gonna have our highest seed in school history.

Second one would be what if we can make just one more stop in the 2011 Sweet 16 game against VCU. We go on to throttle an overrated Kansas team (just like VCU did) and get into a Final Four where anything is possible.

Kansas lost the 1953 title to Indiana by 1 point. Kansas lost the 1957 title to North Carolina by 1 point. If Kansas scores 2 more points in both games then they have 5 titles, North Carolina has 5 titles and Indiana has 4. When it comes to all time rankings that would change so much.

What if the refs don’t say JoJo White’s foot is out of bounds against Texas Western in 1966. They win that and go onto to play Kentucky for the title. Rupp likely doesn’t have the legacy he has today other than being known as a potential GOAT.

What if Kansas doesn’t keep Ted Owens around 19 seasons? While Bob Knight, Dean Smith and John Wooden were making their names in the sport he was at Kansas having 1 great season followed by 2-3 average years and it went on for nearly 2 decades. No way they would allow a coach to do that today.

What if Larry Brown says no to the job in 1983? Does the program find another coach and get resurrected or fall further down into mediocrity?

What if Danny Manning doesn’t have what many might consider a top 5 tournament all time by 1 player and lead a 6 seed to a title?

What if Kansas doesn’t do the unthinkable and hire a guy with no head coaching experience in Roy Williams? This was considered a very questionable move when it happened. On that note, what if Roy leaves in 2000 when he first had the chance to? Probably no Bill Self in that case and instead John Calipari.

What if Wayne Simien doesn’t go out for the year in January in 2003? What if Nick Collison doesn’t go 3-10 and what if the team doesn’t collectively go 12-30 from the FT line in an 81-78 loss to Syracuse in the national championship that same season?

What if Mario Chalmers misses?

What if Self ****ing presses against Northern Iowa in the 2nd half when it clearly works the times he tries it out.

What if Embiid stays healthy in 2014? He turned a top 25 team into a top 5 team when he was even just 80%.

What if 5 teams who sent Kansas home in March since Self has been there all didn’t hit the most 3’s they hit in a game all season that night?

There’s probably more. Kansas seems to have a case of big men getting injured in March but the only time it likely cost a FF/Title run was in 2014 and 2003. I won’t say Ellis being injured in 2013 and 2015 counts as much of a what if.

Fun game, OP.

1. What if Archie Marshall doesn’t tear his ACL with KU winning vs Duke in 1986 F4? Decent chance KU pulls that out and faces Louisville for the title.

2. What if Wayne Simien doesn’t injure his shoulder twice in the 2003 season? Simien was the difference for that KU team. Simien averaged 15 and 8 when healthy.

3. What if Embiid doesn’t injure his back vs Okie State? Man would have loved to have seen how far that team went with a healthy Embiid. He made that team go.

4. What if the 2020 tournament isn’t canceled? This KU team was built to make a deep run with that defense and relying on attacking the rim first. Great efficiency. Sucks.

Kansas lost the 1953 title to Indiana by 1 point. Kansas lost the 1957 title to North Carolina by 1 point. If Kansas scores 2 more points in both games then they have 5 titles, North Carolina has 5 titles and Indiana has 4. When it comes to all time rankings that would change so much.

What if the refs don’t say JoJo White’s foot is out of bounds against Texas Western in 1966. They win that and go onto to play Kentucky for the title. Rupp likely doesn’t have the legacy he has today other than being known as a potential GOAT.

What if Kansas doesn’t keep Ted Owens around 19 seasons? While Bob Knight, Dean Smith and John Wooden were making their names in the sport he was at Kansas having 1 great season followed by 2-3 average years and it went on for nearly 2 decades. No way they would allow a coach to do that today.

What if Larry Brown says no to the job in 1983? Does the program find another coach and get resurrected or fall further down into mediocrity?

What if Danny Manning doesn’t have what many might consider a top 5 tournament all time by 1 player and lead a 6 seed to a title?

What if Kansas doesn’t do the unthinkable and hire a guy with no head coaching experience in Roy Williams? This was considered a very questionable move when it happened. On that note, what if Roy leaves in 2000 when he first had the chance to? Probably no Bill Self in that case and instead John Calipari.

What if Wayne Simien doesn’t go out for the year in January in 2003? What if Nick Collison doesn’t go 3-10 and what if the team doesn’t collectively go 12-30 from the FT line in an 81-78 loss to Syracuse in the national championship that same season?

What if Mario Chalmers misses?

What if Self ****ing presses against Northern Iowa in the 2nd half when it clearly works the times he tries it out.

What if Embiid stays healthy in 2014? He turned a top 25 team into a top 5 team when he was even just 80%.

What if 5 teams who sent Kansas home in March since Self has been there all didn’t hit the most 3’s they hit in a game all season that night?

There’s probably more. Kansas seems to have a case of big men getting injured in March but the only time it likely cost a FF/Title run was in 2014 and 2003. I won’t say Ellis being injured in 2013 and 2015 counts as much of a what if.

Fun game, OP.
Being that guy, but i think your numbers are off.

They are reverting back to a football school

Don't think they received the memo. They are the basketball school in Texas now.

Nope, just made a mistake and forgot what board I was on. You know its okay to admit a mistake, right? You should try it sometime. It would be refreshing.

Few what "if", with the Hoosiers, but one I doiubt many know about, is probably the biggest...

Sure there are these....

What if McGinnis doesn't leave IU early? Hes on the '73 team that lost to UCLA in FF. With him, I think IU wins the title.

Larry Bird stays at IU? JFC....

Thomas returns for his Jr year, and Landon Turner isn't paralyzed in a car accident?

Henderson doesn't hurt his knee in 1993? Or Funderburke doesn't transfer?

But the biggest, yet not well known, "What IF"?

In 1971 IU was looking for a coach....They offered the job to Wooden. He turned it down. But he did make a recommendation....

Jerry Tarkanian. IU wanted him. He wanted IU.

BUT.....After his Long Beach team played very well vs UCLA, he never reached out to IU. Instead IU hired some guy named Bob Knight....

What ifm huh?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Few what "if", with the Hoosiers, but one I doiubt many know about, is probably the biggest...

Sure there are these....

What if McGinnis doesn't leave IU early? Hes on the '73 team that lost to UCLA in FF. With him, I think IU wins the title.

Larry Bird stays at IU? JFC....

Thomas returns for his Jr year, and Landon Turner isn't paralyzed in a car accident?

Henderson doesn't hurt his knee in 1993? Or Funderburke doesn't transfer?

But the biggest, yet not well known, "What IF"?

In 1971 IU was looking for a coach....They offered the job to Wooden. He turned it down. But he did make a recommendation....

Jerry Tarkanian. IU wanted him. He wanted IU.

BUT.....After his Long Beach team played very well vs UCLA, he never reached out to IU. Instead IU hired some guy named Bob Knight....

What ifm huh?

Tark? I just lost respect for you

Tark? I just lost respect for you
Why? I didn't recommend him...Laughing

Just think, though....IU hires Tark in 1971. I mean, that changes a ton of things. One, IU certainly isn't seen in the same light as it was under Knight: Clean, kids graduating, etc, etc...I doubt IU has 5 titles...I doubt IU has the persona of, "winning with 'Indiana kids'", either...Things would certainly be different. Not to mention,where does Knight end up? UCLA? Does he get the Duke job? Or even better----Does UK take the chance on a young Bob Knight----Or do they still had the reigns over to Joe B.?

Crazy to think how one little decision,could change the face of a game,so drastically.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Argh do you have to bring that game from 10 up again :p

This is post Maryland career, so kind of breaking the rules- but if Len Bias didn't overdose the night he was drafted, what his career would have been.
I’ll add to this if Maryland beats NCSU in the ACC Tournament Final in 1974

ADVERTISEMENT