ADVERTISEMENT

++ Big XII 2019 ++

giphy.gif

Sure, I'll bump it..

B1G looks good, too.
Only the Ill and Rutgers lower than 75.
12 in top 66, I believe.

Thankfully, last couple seasons the b1g was pathetic.

What else do you think trailer park boys are watching?
Hmmm. I really don’t know.

Getting back on topic, I know it’s still early but I can’t recall the league ever being this close after 6 games. 4 teams tied for 1st and another 2 are within 1 game of them. This could be a year where a 12-6 record wins it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Maybe a mod will pin this thread, maybe I'll have to dig all season....

1/19/19
Just saw where Kansas State beat Tech last night. Didn't even realize they were anywhere close to a 5 game winning streak and tied for 1st. Is this the Dean Wade effect?

They've already split games with Tech for the season and won at Iowa State. If they can get just 1 more win between the remaining Iowa State game and 2 Kansas games then they should have a chance of winning/tying for the league title.

Haven't watched Baylor at all. Are they really somebody to look out for? Their OOC record says no but their Big 12 results say yes.

Everyone sleeping on KState for a couple weeks now. They were pre-season top 15 and Wade got hurt early. He's back now and they are starting to look like the team everyone thought they would be.

Same goes with Iowa State to a lesser degree. They weren't ranked highly pre-season, but they lost a bunch early when they had 4 key starters out and everyone pretty much wrote them off. Now those guys are back, the teams is starting to gel and they're looking a lot better than 2 months ago.

Been a brutal year but like I've always said, we just wear the wrong type of boots according to these cow people

Just saw where Kansas State beat Tech last night. Didn't even realize they were anywhere close to a 5 game winning streak and tied for 1st. Is this the Dean Wade effect?

They've already split games with Tech for the season and won at Iowa State. If they can get just 1 more win between the remaining Iowa State game and 2 Kansas games then they should have a chance of winning/tying for the league title.

Haven't watched Baylor at all. Are they really somebody to look out for? Their OOC record says no but their Big 12 results say yes.
KSU was without Wade and Stokes (?) for a few games during that slide, they both came back in time for the game vs the Mountaineers. Some think ol Bruce supplied the team with steroids during halftime of the WVU game.. (lol) they've been good enough on both sides of the ball ever since and are enjoying the successes.

This Kansas team is so unimpressive, I have no idea how the Big XII will play out.
Tech was impressive early, but they've got no 3pt shooting.. State plays fundamental (for the most part), so they're very much capable of winning the conference.

Baylor is gelling.. but very much still a Scott Drew team. I have no faith them at all, but they'll play a huge role in who wins the whole thing bc sometimes that zone works when opposing shooters have off nights.
Better coaches usually are able to survive games when their best (or top two-ish) shooters go cold (Bill Self, usually). Bad 3pt shooting teams are def more suspect to catching that L.

Drew usually does pretty well outside Big XII iirc.

Last edited:
KSU is a good team. Good defense. Bruce Weber doesn't get the respect he deserves. They went to the Elite 8 after beating Kentucky with one of their best players hurt. They have some good players.

Baylor can be good enough to beat anyone and can also drop games. Its strange.

We need to find more offense. Hopefully the win over Arkansas stops the slide we were in.

Reactions: CDNCBBFan
So now I wonder if it helps us that Texas beat KU or if they are going to be fired up since they now are on a 2 game losing streak. I know Self will be ready to go and then we have the Phog Magic. I guess every loss by them helps to up the percentage that the streak ends.

Going to be a really interesting race. Hard to predict at this point. Can never count Kansas out. It seems like every year there is at least one point where everyone says "Wow, this is the year Kansas doesn't win the Big 12", and then they do.

Tech and K-State will probably both hang in the race because of their D. Baylor has really come out of nowhere. I watched them against Bama and they looked good. I was assuming they would fade at some point, but that demolition of Oklahoma was pretty shocking. I haven't watched it yet, but have it pvr'ed. Curious to see how it turned into such a blowout.

If Iowa State can defend semi-competently I think they could take it. Their offence is downright scary when it's clicking. Of their 7 conference games, 5 have come against above .500 teams (KU, TT, Baylor, K-State), and they already have both KU games out of the way. 4 of their 7 have been road games, and they still play WV twice. Haven't done a thorough analysis, but I'd guess all the above gives them the most favourable schedule going forward.

I’ll say this, if someone other than Kansas doesn’t win it this year it will never happen. There has never been a more ripe KU team for the picking than this one. 1-5 on the road, yeesh

Reactions: KisteK
Going to be a really interesting race. Hard to predict at this point. Can never count Kansas out. It seems like every year there is at least one point where everyone says "Wow, this is the year Kansas doesn't win the Big 12", and then they do.

Tech and K-State will probably both hang in the race because of their D. Baylor has really come out of nowhere. I watched them against Bama and they looked good. I was assuming they would fade at some point, but that demolition of Oklahoma was pretty shocking. I haven't watched it yet, but have it pvr'ed. Curious to see how it turned into such a blowout.

If Iowa State can defend semi-competently I think they could take it. Their offence is downright scary when it's clicking. Of their 7 conference games, 5 have come against above .500 teams (KU, TT, Baylor, K-State), and they already have both KU games out of the way. 4 of their 7 have been road games, and they still play WV twice. Haven't done a thorough analysis, but I'd guess all the above gives them the most favourable schedule going forward.

If we can figure out it out offensively we have a shot. KSU has some good defense and they got Wade back. I was really sad to see them drop the game to A&M. Baylor is really good because of Scott Drew. He gets some good players and can coach them up. They can be sneaky good. It's annoying but it's true.

ISU is in some ways the opposite of Tech. They need to figure it more more defensively and we need to do it offensively.

Our schedule isn't too bad but its not the most favorable I don't think.

If we can figure out it out offensively we have a shot. KSU has some good defense and they got Wade back. I was really sad to see them drop the game to A&M. Baylor is really good because of Scott Drew. He gets some good players and can coach them up. They can be sneaky good. It's annoying but it's true.

ISU is in some ways the opposite of Tech. They need to figure it more more defensively and we need to do it offensively.

Our schedule isn't too bad but its not the most favorable I don't think.

Where is this narritive coming from that Iowa State is bad on defense? This ain’t Hoiberg’s teams were talking about. They are 23rd in defensive efficiency right now. It’s just funny to me that everyone thinks they suck.

Where is this narritive coming from that Iowa State is bad on defense? This ain’t Hoiberg’s teams were talking about. They are 23rd in defensive efficiency right now. It’s just funny to me that everyone thinks they suck.

Was wondering the same. Iowa State is playing very well. Just had a couple bad games where they let teams stay close.

I didn't mean to imply they are terrible defensively. Let me try this again.

Their O is great. Their D metrics are good as well. In watching them play I've just felt their D is inconsistent, and I meant that those lapses could hurt them down the stretch. Playing D as they are right now puts them right in the mix for the Big 12 title, possibly even the favourite IMO. Improving their D (or being more consistent) makes them a stronger favourite.

Reactions: TechFan88

I don't think they are bad or suck on defense. But if you ask me where they could improve I would say on defense.

I don't think they are bad or suck on defense. But if you ask me where they could improve I would say on defense.

You just compared them to Tech’s offense, which is ranked 99th on Kenpom. Iowa St’s defense is 23rd. You don’t see the difference between those two numbers?

You just compared them to Tech’s offense, which is ranked 99th on Kenpom. Iowa St’s defense is 23rd. You don’t see the difference between those two numbers?

When I compared Tech to ISU I didn't actually look up the numbers of where they ranked on offense and defense. So I didn't know the difference was that great.

ISU's defense is greatly improved this season, but they have been weak the past few games defending driving to the hoop. It's strange, because in most cases they switch on all screens, which has been a big reason for the improvement. Cam Lard & Wigginton are probably the weakest individual defensive links, so when they are both in the game, you can really see when they are late reacting or get out of position.

Still no Bolden or Konate but wvu showed good effort. Something that you wanna see to start the year but I'm happy with it nonetheless

Kansas puttin on the hurt for The Hurt.

Get him Dolla Bill!!

Damn...Silvio getting shafted may have been the best thing to ever happen to this team.

Damn...Silvio getting shafted may have been the best thing to ever happen to this team.

The difference seems to be the fact that they are making perimeter shots. When I’ve watched them this year they get good looks but don’t knock them down aside from Vick. Today has been different

ADVERTISEMENT