Big Ten Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by klize17, Mar 25, 2017.

1. klize17

klize17 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I am stuck working this morning, so I figured I would start this thread.

First major bit of off-season Illinois and Indiana jobs open.
    I think Illinois got an outstanding hire. Really like what I have seen out of Underwood.
    Indiana got some fantastic news last night that Alford will be staying at UCLA, this was confirmed overnight from his attorney. I am going to go with IU told him thanks, but no thanks. I am not sure anyone really has clue where this search is going to go. I have a feeling it is going to end at either Mack or Miller.

Roster turnover will really be something to look at once the IU hire is made. Illinois keeping their top assistant was huge and will probably keep that recruiting class together. That assistant was huge during Wilkes recruitment and almost secured his services. I think a Miller or Mack can keep IUs team together. De'Ron has already stated that he will stay at IU. If the next coach is able to hang onto to RoJo, Morgan, Last 10 games of the season Newkirk and Green. There will be some solid pieces. Obviously you always have the possibility of a new coach bringing in a couple of recruits. IU currently only has Justin Smith left in their class. Clifton Moore and Al Durham have asked for releases from their LOI. I do not see either player committing back to Indiana.

Any other roster turnover expected in the B1G?

BonanzaBlue, jimmygoiu and Mgkcbb like this.
  2. buckymel

buckymel Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Beat me to it.
    I had a bit hangover and was gonna sleep in, but my kid woke me up. So I'm drinking coffee and almost started a thread like this. I'll write up a little when my head clears up.

klize17 likes this.
  3. buckymel

Expand Collapse

Obviously, this year is gonna be a major rebuilding year, even if we assume Happ returns. In summary, we lose four seniors, Nigel Hayes, Bronson Koenig, Vitto Brown, and Zak Showalter. And we will have an excellent freshmen class coming in, by Wisconsin standard: combo G Kobe King, PG Brad Davison, and F Nate Reuvers.

Trice I think has locked up the PG. I don't think senior-would-be Jordan Hill or Brad Davison is gonna challenge his starter status.

The other guard likely goes to Brevin Pritzl. However, many guys are fighting for minutes. I'd not be surprised if Kobe King gets more playing time than Pritzl.

Or maybe Gard plays Trice and Davdison together, as Davison can shoot.

Kalil Iverson and Ethan Happ (again, if he returns) are two presumed starters for the front court. That's a no-brainer.

I don't know who gets the last spot. You are looking at Nate Reuvers, Aleem Ford, and Alex Illikainen. I have heard that the staff is high on Aleem Ford. So we'll see. I don't really think Charlie Thomas or Andy Van Vliet is gonna do much.

This is the year Gard runs out Bo's players (Bo recruited Iverson, Thomas, and Van Vliet, but coached only half of their freshmen season). He is really gonna have to show his coaching mettle.

I expect us to finish at .500 in B1G play and barely make it to the NCAA's.

4. Hoosier in Mad Town

Hoosier in Mad Town Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Genuinely curious, do you think Happ would leave early for the NBA?

I haven't seen him in any mock drafts.

I would think he needs a jump shot to be a serious NBA candidate and another year or two of working on that would put him on that path.

WheelerG likes this.
  5. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Gonna be key for whoever the next coach is to make sure we keep Rojo, Morgan and Green. Absolutely key now that we've got Davis already on board.

6. buckymel

Expand Collapse

I don't think he'd leave, but I'm not privy to his intentions.

7. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Pretty excited about Illinois basketball once again, but there's work to do. Sounds like our stud recruit Jeremiah Tilmon met Underwood last night and is on board. We are also in a position to potentially land an unsigned 2017 stud in G Mark Smith, in addition to the already solid class. We might need to work the transfer market this offseason to grab a 3 to replace Hill. Way too early for predictions as there are too many unknowns

The big question is will a real, competent coach be able to make the leftover guys play better basketball? YTBD...

8. Da_Bull

Da_Bull Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bennett the hot name this morning, see if it has any legs.

9. Hoosier in Mad Town

Hoosier in Mad Town Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually hearing Archie.

10. buckymel

Expand Collapse

Some Buckyvillains claimed he really wants the Wisconsin job, but last year he wouldn't take it from Gardo. Said he thought Gardo had earned it.

11. Da_Bull

Expand Collapse

Lol this is worse than some of the dumb things ive seen Indiana fans post.

12. Da_Bull

Expand Collapse

wouldnt be mad

13. buckymel

Expand Collapse

So was Billy D really on IU campus yesterday?

nagemj02 likes this.
  14. Da_Bull

Expand Collapse

I doubt it. But cant say i know either way.

14 Da_Bull, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  15. buckymel

Expand Collapse

Peegs has a thread that says an announcement is expected today.
    Any truth to it, to your knowledge?

16. Da_Bull

Expand Collapse

Havent seen anything from peegs himself. Rumor is an announcement today but dont know. Thats. been said before

17. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Archie is s good solid hire for IU

18. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Purdue will likely lose Swanigan (almost a near lock) and Spike. We bring back the majority of our core and add some athleticism and talent in the freshman class. I expect us to be a 20-25 ranked team. Will be an interesting year.

19. Deathclutch

Deathclutch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We only lose Akeem Springs for sure. I've heard their is a good chance Ahmad Gilbert transfers as well, which would open up a spot for a potential grad transfer or Spring signing.

We add some much need guard depth with Freshmen Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris. Isaiah is ranked #64 in 2017. Jamir is ranked in the 200's, but I am not really worried about that. He is one of the best shooters in the class, but is a bit undersized for a SG.

Also add Davonte Fitzgerald, who is a combo forward that has sat out two years. Had to sit out one year via transfer rule and then he tore his ACL before this season started, so Fitzgerald had to sit out another year. If he can give us 5-10 minutes a game, between both forward positions, I'll be happy.

20. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maryland

Additions: Bruno Fernando (67 on rivals) and Darryl Morsell ( 79 on rivals)
    Possible additions: Maryland has shown a lot of interest in Bryant guard Nisre Zouzoua and Rutgers guard Nigel Johnson. Nigel is from the area and will be available immediately as a post grad. Nisre would have to sit a year.

Subtractions : Gill and Dodd graduate, not big loses
    Possible loss is Melo. Might go pro and by pro most likely D League or Europe. Stock hasn't really changed much, might actually be worse then when the year started. Also wouldn't be shocked to see a transfer.

21. MileHighSpartan

MileHighSpartan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

MSU loses Eron Harris, Alvin Ellis, and Matt van Dyk.

Bring in 5* 6'10" Jaren Jackson Jr. and 4* 6'9" Xavier Tillman. Also return Gavin Schilling, so front court with those 3 and Nick Ward will be a huge difference next year as compared to having no size at all this year.

Still recruiting 5* SF Brian Bowen, but not feeling too confident on him anymore. Also recruiting a sleeper SG out of Detroit that is currently on an official visit this weekend.

Miles Bridges most likely gone as he's prob a lotto pick, but there have been rumblings that he may return.

22. Jaycg15

Jaycg15 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Arizona for Bowen?

23. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Don't even know. I thought so, but he just keeps dragging it out longer and longer.

Some say he's waiting on Bridges to decide. Some say one of his coaches is trying to get hired at DePaul and he would go there. Some think Creighton is in the lead.

Honestly don't know and at this point, not expecting it to happen for MSU.

24. Jaycg15

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

25. Deathclutch

Deathclutch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Winston
    McQuaid
    Langford
    Jackson
    Ward

That's a nice starting lineup. Wing depth looks a bit thin though. Any word on Carter getting a 6th year?

26. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Doubt Carter gets a 6th year, and not even sure it is worth it. Nothing against him, but I'd play the other 4 games ahead of him anyway.

Wing depth is the biggest concern. No true SF on the team, unless Bridges does come back and gets to play solely on the wing instead of PF because we had no one else to play there this year.

27. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Not sure. Could've just been message board posters throwing shit at the wall. Some think Bowen is being pushed/pulled in different directions.

Some connection to Bowens hometown of Saginaw, or a former coach or something like that.

Edit: Creighton hired asst coach Preston Murphy, who played at Rhode island and is originally from Bowens hometown of Saginaw.

The DePaul potential connection is a Flint (MI) guy named Rick Carter

27 MileHighSpartan, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Jaycg15 likes this.
  28. SpartanJD

SpartanJD Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bowen wants to go somewhere where he will be the man right away. He's good but he's not Bridges good. Watch him end up somewhere like DePaul.

MSU is going hard after Mark Amith from ILL. He's start at the 3 for us on a possible national title worthy team.

29. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think your too late for Smith..

Jaycg15 likes this.
  30. Orlando Buckeye

Orlando Buckeye Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Smith is visiting Osu for a 2nd time this weekend. Not getting my hopes up.

31. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

I think losing Biggie is gonna really, really hurt. Not sure who steps up and replaces him. I'm sure Vince will play the four, but you're not near the same team with him and Haas at the four and five.

32. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Oh it absolutely will. Can't replace a Gerry Bertier right? But yeah have to hope Vince stays (could see him maybe leaving to go overseas and start making money). We will have more depth next year thankfully but yeah we won't replace the BTPOY/1st team all American. That will definitely hurt.

SNU0821 likes this.
  33. Jaycg15

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He grew up an Illini fan. Only a matter of time.

34. BoilerExpress

BoilerExpress Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Probably makes more sense to wait until after we see who declares, but who do you guys see as the preseason favorites besides msu? Anyone else even in the mix, or is it like 3 years ago when we all knew wisky had it locked up in the summer and everyone was playing for 2nd?

35. stakesarehigh

stakesarehigh Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Entire Ohio state team to transfer. Will play twelve best ballers off the football team. Matta contract extended until he turns 55 (80 in Matta years)

36. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Minnesota or Northwestern in the mix

37. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Michigan loses: Derrick Walton, Zak Irvin, (possibly) Mark Donnal
    Michigan adds: Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole, Isaiah Livers, Eli Brooks

Likely starters....

PG: Xavier Simpson
    SG: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman
    SF: Charles Matthews
    PF: D.J. Wilson
    C: Moe Wagner

That is arguably the best defensive starting 5 Beilein has had at Michigan but lacks a proven shot creator on offense.

It will be interesting to see if the final scholarship goes to Mo Bamba (not likely but ideal), a grad transfer PG (2nd best option), or Mark Donnal.

38. nagemj02

nagemj02 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Purdue is expected to return most of their regulars (V.Edwards, Haas, C. Edwards, Thompson, Mathias, Cline, and Taylor, who's been injured 2 out of 3 years) and will have at least 5 newcomers (Nojel Eastern, Aaron Wheeler, JC transfer Eden Ewing, 7'2 Euro-big Matt Haarms, and yet another limited-athlete SG in Sasha Stefanovic).

The problem is, some others and myself have seen enough of Painter and his staffs over the past 12 seasons to know that he doesn't have the goods (recruiting, practicing multiple schemes on O and D, making quick schematic changes throughout the course of a game, etc.) to take Purdue to the Final Four or further. The dilemma is that they just had a good regular season (B1G champs) so the new AD (Bobinski) probably won't ever make a change until they inevitably have a bad season (still will be good next season, but after that?). I've been ready for a new coaching staff for about 4 years now, but since the Boilers aren't a blue-blood and they don't have a culture of changing basketball HC's very quickly, he'll probably be coaching them for at least the next two seasons.

As evident in the loss to Kansas, Purdue's guards (with the exception of C. Edwards, who made bad decisions and shot poorly from the field in the game) aren't good enough to hang with the top backcourts in college basketball. Better schematics on both ends probably could have hidden that weakness some in the KU game, but they're still a step slower regardless.

Eastern and C. Edwards have a lot more potential as a backcourt than Thompson and Mathias, but Purdue fans know that Painter will start out with those two seniors as the starting guards next season. I expect Purdue to once again finish in the upper-half of the B1G (along with Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Northwestern: Wisconsin will probably find a way to finish in the top four even without Hayes, Koenig, Showalter, and Brown). I will make no NCAA Tournament predictions because there's no reason to expect Purdue to advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen under Painter. We want that but he and his staffs have shown no ability to be quality tacticians when it matters most or to be able to consistently bring in enough guards, wings, and forwards that are both highly skilled and athletic, relative to other top programs.

38 nagemj02, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  39. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Haha! Love the Remember the Titans reference. Perfectly said.

Side note, what's the word with these Carsen Edwards transfer rumors? I can see both sides of the coin in that he'll be expected to produce a good amount more next year, but, also could see him wanting a more up tempo offense. Heard he wants to get back to Texas.

40. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

For IU, it's gonna be an interesting off season. I really like the Archie hire. I don't think we could have done better. I was always skeptical of Donovan and Stevens isn't coming back to college either. I know we looked at Collins, Bennett, Marshall, but IMO Archie is just as good of a hire (relatively speaking).

Apparently he's already reached out to some of the team and our incoming class as well. Gonna be interesting to see who stays from our recruits. I don't think we'll lose too many current players, and nobody of note to transfer. I do think OG, JBJ and Bryant are all gone. I'm hoping Archie will hit the recruiting trail hard going after some of the uncommitted top 100 kids. But I would be glad if we just kept our current recruiting class committed.

All that said, I would expect us to still have a pretty competitive team. We'll have RJ, Newkirk, Green and Curtis Jones (he may transfer) as our guards. Davis, Morgan, McSwain and McRoberts as our forwards. I think we're a middle of the pack B10 team and should be fighting for an NCAA Tournament spot.