Big Ten Fans Get ITT

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Silvermane, Apr 27, 2015.

?

Who wins the Big Ten?

1. Indiana

15.7%
  2. Maryland

12.0%
  3. Michigan

7.3%
  4. Michigan State

28.3%
  5. Other

36.6%
  1. Silvermane

Silvermane Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The conference is going to be a beast next year - let's project it. Basically the only potential big domino is Jaylen Brown to UM(IMO, not going to happen), or a stud graduate transfer to Purdue and I don't think many guys are left out there(correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway...

1. MSU - They return a really solid core and add some stud freshmen. I'm predicting Nairn spends all summer shooting free throws. They play Indiana and Maryland once, at home, and Michigan once on the road.
    2. Maryland - Trimble, Layman, Stone, Carter, Wiley... love this roster. Maryland has single plays on the road with Indiana and Michigan State but they are loaded.
    3. Indiana - Indiana returns all starters and brings in McDonald's All-American Thomas Bryant. Between Ferrell and Williams, Indiana will be led by upperclassmen for the first time in what feels like a long time.
    4. Michigan - I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I don't think Irvin and Walton are necessarily good playmakers but with LeVert back even incremental improvement from each of them would make UM very dangerous. Even if Chatman is a bust I like UM here, they get Indiana and Michigan State at home only.
    5. Wisconsin - Wisconsin has to play Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue, and Illinois twice in what may be the toughest schedule among contending teams. But the Badgers return Bo ryan and All-B1G candidates Koenig and Hayes. I think Hayes makes the All-B1G first team next year. If Bo gets this group in the Top 4 against their hellacious schedule go ahead and build him a statue in Madison.
    6. Purdue - Will be pretty good, has a single-play in Mackey with MSU who they probably still won't beat.
    7. Iowa - Even with Gessell, Uthoff, and Woodbury returning to anchor the Hawkeyes they are going to need a lot of new performers to cover for the loss of White. Jok could be a potential breakout player for them.
    8. Ohio State - Call me crazy but I don't love this team, for next year at least. They have games against Memphis, @UCONN, and against Kentucky but it looks like they have another underwhelming non-conference schedule which could hurt a young team coming into a really tough Big Ten. I think their incoming freshmen will be great as sophomores and maybe a top team in conference as upperclassmen but I think they mostly struggle as freshmen.

NCAA Cutoff

9. Northwestern - Collins has an impressive group building in Evanston and the Wildcats only face Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Purdue one time. Perfect recipe for a surprise finish. Because they're still Northwestern they earn a #1 seed in the NIT. Maybe the overall #1. Then Collins leaves to take over USC or something.
    10. Illinois - I like the team Illinois returns. Coleman-Lands is a good player. Illinois even has a fairly favorable schedule. But I think next year's team is going to struggle offensively and could be a bit worse defensively as well. No clue where they go after Groce.
    11. Minnesota - Slightly less dysfunctional than the teams that follow. Has some talent, but it's young and if they took a step back from where they were last season... well...
    12. Penn State - Still Penn State.
    13. Rutgers - Their freshmen last year weren't bad and they have a bad but not completely awful class this year.
    14. Nebraska - Tim Miles might end up locked out of his office after this upcoming season.

I think the Big Ten could be like 2012-13 with 5 or 6 teams with 12 or more conference wins. Eight NCAA bids would have to follow a very strong showing for the Big Ten in the non-conference slate, so that number could go down to seven. Either way it's going to be a hell of a conference race.

Big Ten schedules for anyone curious: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021915aaa.html

2. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good stuff. Thanks.

3. guestavo

guestavo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I hope Sulaimon goes to UMD
    I hope Thon Maker goes to IU
    I hope Dylan Ennis goes to ILL

As long as UM gets Brown.

Da_Bull likes this.
  4. guestavo

Expand Collapse

Heck, give Purdue Sterling Gibbs too lol

5. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

IN

Not a bad outlook for next season.

6. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Great read. I think 4th-6th is about where Michigan will end up at the moment, but if Brown commits then I think Michigan could compete for the B1G championship.

7. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

Hail, get over to the football board and comment on my IL thread.

8. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

9. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

OSU will not be better than us. Wisky takes a big step back IMO. And I think Purdue and Iowa fight it out for 5th in the conference.

10. guestavo

Expand Collapse

I think Sulaimon and Brown happen, so I'll go

UM
    MSU
    UMD
    IU
    WISC
    PU

come march

11. Deathclutch

Deathclutch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think you have to give Michigan State the nod for preseason favorite. They lost Appling, Harris, and Payne, before last season, and still made the Final four. This year they lose less and add more. Maryland and Indiana round out my top 3. I'm interested in seeing how Wisconsin does, losing what they do. Also, Illinois has plenty of talent on their roster, will Groce get the job done or will this be his last year?

11 Deathclutch, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    SNU0821 likes this.
  12. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

Can Minnesota have something?:(

13. Chicubsfan24

Chicubsfan24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My god this conference season is gonna be so fun.

KisteK, guestavo and hawkit3113 like this.
  14. guestavo

Expand Collapse

The transfer you got seems good

15. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

Yeah, but he can't play this year.

16. yiana

yiana Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The conference is absolutely stacked. Nebraska will be better than Rutgers and Penn State. This would be the year Wisconsin slips from the top 4.

Not sold on IU at all. They look good on paper though.

17. BoilerExpress

BoilerExpress Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree with this (might be the first time in rivals history, haha)

I want to predict wisky to finish 5th, but until bo actually has a finish worse than 4th, can't do it

18. Silvermane

Expand Collapse

Man, it looks like conference play is going to be a real treat all season long. Hopefully the regular season title comes down to a photo finish like in 2012-13.

Wisconsin loses a lot but I really do think Hayes is going to be super this year. He's on my preseason All-B1G team for sure.

IMO, Groce's prospects at Illinois is the most interesting storyline in the conference on opening day. Illinois does have a fair bit of talent but they also lose key seniors and the rest of the conference may be improving faster. I've never been a fan of Abrams so if they could scoop Ennis or someone talented that would improve their outlook a lot I think.

19. UPnorth Illini

UPnorth Illini Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Northwestern is not finishing ahead of Illinois....and If IL gets Ennis to bring in with Thorne and Brandon Paul they could be a pretty decent team

KisteK likes this.
  20. Silvermane

Expand Collapse

I think the 7-10 group will hover around 8-10 wins in conference play so Illinois could certainly make a move with a bit of improvement. But for now I'll take Northwestern. Alex Olah has improved slowly but he is now one of the better defensive players in the conference and will be a senior. Tre Demps will be a senior. Bryant McIntosh and Vic Law were both freshman starters that played a ton of minutes and should make big jumps just like Robert Johnson and Blackmon Jr at Indiana. Between Demps, Law, and McIntosh they can spread the floor well and if Olah takes a small step forward offensively they're going to be pretty nice inside and out. Their bench is a big concern but I like their starters a lot. Oh, and their schedule.

Home: Illinois, Michigan State, Rutgers, Wisconsin
    Away: Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue
    Home/Away: Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State

They host Illinois and there is no return trip which could impact the standings. They also have teams they should be able to rack up wins on in their double plays like Minnesota, Nebraska, and Penn State. I'm not budging.

21. Orlando Buckeye

Orlando Buckeye Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Have no idea what to expect from Osu and tend to agree with your assessment overall but it's hard to imagine Osu under Matta finishing that low in the B10. I'd guess 6th.

Assuming there are no major injuries I'd expect Osu to be one of the BT favorite again in 2016

22. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Is OP Free Radical?

23. Silvermane

Expand Collapse

No.

I'm guessing his posting must have projected handsomeness and a generally self-assured nature, then?

KisteK and Da_Bull like this.
  24. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Really good discussion, folks. Much better than last years offseason Big Ten threads.

25. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Im still going to disagree with you....Illinois was 2-0 versus Northwestern including a 25 pointish beatdown. Leron Black is probably just as/more likely to make a sophomore leap then Mcintosh is. You kinda glossed over the additions of Thorne and Paul as well.

There's a lot more talent on the IL roster ( 6 top 100 players) than there is on NU and Collins is basically the same level coach as Groce.

26. Silvermane

Expand Collapse

I didn't mention Thorne, but I don't see any reason to believe he'll be a net gain over the loss of Egwu. Maybe a marginally better scorer but defensively he doesn't have the same sort of impact. As for Paul I don't think he'll be one of Illinois' better players.

And why assume that Black will make the same leap that McIntosh will? McIntosh was comfortable on the floor from day 1 and made the Big Ten's all-freshman team. To be kind, Black did not match that level of production or playing time. He has much more physical talent than McIntosh and a higher ceiling, but I'm not sure he'll be a better player this coming season. Agree to disagree I guess but I like NU. Feel free to bump this thread in eight months if you feel it's appropriate.

27. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

To be honest it sucks to have to sit here and argue if Illinois is going to be an 8th,9th or 10th place team...guess I gotta fight for some little cookie here! Sigh

28. Da_Bull

Da_Bull Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Every year NW is supposed to make the jump, I'll believe it when I see it. 1-6 will be very good, can't wait to watch those battles.

KisteK likes this.
  29. stakesarehigh

stakesarehigh Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've given up trying to understand how people think Wisconsin is historically better than Ohio state. I will just go with laziness and general lack of memory. Ah well... don't worry when Ohio state ends up a 5 seed and loses in the sweet 16 all these same people will say Matta under achieved lol

30. Matt18Jones

Matt18Jones Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The top 3 is clearly Maryland/MSU in any order and 3. Indiana

No real need to break the top three down. All are loaded and all are legit top 15 teams at worst.

Not sure who is fourth. I'd lean Michigan but could also be convinced it's any of Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State.

Wisconsin will be well coached and Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig are ballers, but the rest of the roster lacks talent that the 4-8 teams have.

Ohio State and Illinois are absolutely loaded with talent. The problem Ohio State has is they're mostly young. The problem Illinois has is Groce kinda sucks. Thorne plugged a big hole at center, if Ennis signs with Illinois they immediately become a contender for the conference title.

Ohio State is talented but they probably need too much from certain players. AJ Harris basically has to be a baller from day 1 for them to succeed. Loving/Bates Diop/Tate trio SHOULD be solid or better to maybe even great this year. Mickey Mitchell running point forward off the bench and Grandstaff scoring make the bench really good.

Iowa returns essentially the same lineup as last year, except they replace White with a Uhl / Dale Jones duo that could be extremely efficient. Really love Iowa this year. Jok might develop into a RDM type on offense as well. Woodbury should be able to poke the eyes out of any opposing player who is having a good night.

Purdue will be the best defensive team in the conference and they'll surround the Hammons / Haas duo with shooters on offense, but I'm a little worried about the PG position next year. Even if Painter gets a solid 5th year transfer to play point, still need someone to step up and not be complete garbage off the bench as a backup PG.

Michigan won't be able to guard anyone but will probably have the best offense in the conference under Beilein
    Walton levert Irvin chatman/Wilson Doyle

With a bench of maar, dawkins, chatman/wilson, spike, and the FR they're bringing in is just an incredibly talented offensive squad playing for a proven offensive genius. Going to be a beautiful team to watch.

Northwestern returns a solid lineup
    McIntosh is a baller
    Vic Law is a baller
    Olah is solid
    Demps can score
    They have a decent recruiting class coming in. Think it's about 50/50 whether they make the tournament or not.

Nebraska has Kansas transfer (his name alludes me) to put with Glynn Watson and Ed Morrow to form a solid, talented trio. Shields will be a great player as a SR.

No clue about Minnesota

Penn State will probably suck per usual but whatever I could be wrong.

Lolrutgers

KisteK, hailtoyourvictor and SNU0821 like this.
  31. Orlando Buckeye

Orlando Buckeye Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Osu needs or expects Harris to be more than a 12-15 minute a guy spark off the bench.

32. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree....I'm not so sure why some people on here think Victor Law is such a stud in the making. I know he was a freshman and will improve but he was hardly a world beater. Mcintosh strikes me as a guy with a low ceiling too, there's a reason he was a 3 star recruit that not many high majors were after...I think they finish in their usual spot

33. CardinalBoiler

CardinalBoiler Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with OP's top six, but wouldn't be all that surprised with most any permutation of that group when it's all said and done.

Someone earlier ITT said they can't wait for March. Hell, I can't wait for January to get the conference schedule started.

Hopefully Purdue can lock up Johnny Hill at PG. All he needs to provide is steady ball handling against pressure and defend the opposing point guard.

I originally had Wisconsin in the top four "because of Bo" but the more I thought about it, I'm not sold that Hayes can have make that next step when he's going to be a focal point for the opposition's defense; but I could be totally wrong on that.

Nebraska's incoming freshman class seems to be the only reason they aren't a real possibility for 14th place. I'm interested to see what kind of impact Glynn Watson can make in Lincoln.

At this point, I'd be inclined to think the league gets eight teams dancing in March.

1. Maryland
    2. Indiana
    3. Michigan State
    4. Michigan
    5. Purdue
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Ohio State
    8. Illinois
    9. Iowa
    10. Northwestern
    11. Minnesota
    12. Nebraska
    13. Penn State
    14. Rutgers

I actually also got bored at work yesterday and put together my preseason All-B1G for anyone else who wants to add theirs as well and/or tell me why mine are completely wrong.

First Team
    Yogi Ferrell (Indiana)
    Caris LeVert (Michigan)
    Denzel Valentine (Michigan State)
    Melo Trimble (Maryland)
    A.J. Hammons (Purdue)

Second Team
    James Blackmon (Indiana)
    Malcolm Hill (Illinois)
    Nigel Hayes (Wisconsin)
    Jarrod Uthoff (Iowa)
    Jake Layman (Maryland)

Third Team
    Bryant McIntosh (Northwestern)
    Eron Harris (Michigan State)
    Troy Williams (Indiana)
    Rapheal Davis (Purdue)
    Zak Irvin (Michigan)

POY: Denzel Valentine (Michigan State)
    DPOY: A.J. Hammons (Purdue)
    COY: Mark Turgeon (Maryland)

34. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I keep seeing Illinois fans scoff at the idea yet NW on paper is better than you at just about every position.

35. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

I just want to say, I love the BIG 10.

Carry on.

36. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And we love you. :)

hawkit3113 likes this.
  37. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

I am feeling the BIG 10 love, ITT.

38. Jaycg15

Jaycg15 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it's just UI fans. We already beat NW with essentially the same team we'll be rolling out next year at their place. NW put together a 14-15 season with all of that talent. I think we'll see an improvement, but not sure that it will be the first time NW makes the tourney.

Could you give me a breakdown of how NW is better at each position?

38 Jaycg15, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  39. UPnorth Illini

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

B
    I'm scoffing at it because it's simply not true. You guys are completely overvaluing NWs players....what is so great about Victor Law and Olah?? Demps is decent, not great. Mcintosh can shoot, but he's not quick or any kind of a good defender. I can't even name their fifth starter

40. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Illinois fans are tenacious offseason posters.

hawkit3113 likes this.