ADVERTISEMENT

Big Monday: Kansas @ WVU

This loss feels like the beginning of something bad

We knew we needed this game... getting all this national hype, and all this talk about ending KU's streak. Blow a big lead... for the 2nd straight game.

Plus we always struggle with Texas.

Bad feeling about this team right now.

We’re still 10 deep with an experienced back court. I have no fear that this team will fall off the rails completely. What happened tonight what WVU once again falling short of the elusive first tier we are never apart of. But curb stomping the 5-10th place teams in the Big XII is still inevitable, get ready Okie Lite we’re coming for you!

Reactions: KuHwkFan and KisteK
We’re still 10 deep with an experienced back court. I have no fear that this team will fall off the rails completely. What happened tonight what WVU once again falling short of the elusive first tier we are never apart of. But curb stomping the 5-10th place teams in the Big XII is still inevitable, get ready Okie Lite we’re coming for you!

Beating KU at home as become a given.... and it was all but done tonight. They choked.

It's gonna be tough to bounce back from this right away.

Ok 2015 and 2017. 2016 KU controlled the majority of the game and won by 10.

2015 I can honestly say we got a very favorable whistle that fueled that comeback to go with bad shot decisions by a young WVU team that year.

2017 I don't agree the the narrative KU got a favorable whistle. KU just made plays down the stretch.

Tonight's game was all about KU's timely 3s and WVU's terrible offense in the 2nd half.

I’m pretty sure we lead both games by 10 under 2 mins. Obviously my memory is foggy because I thought they were in back to back years, but the refs do not have anything to do with blowing leads like that. Hit FTs and inbound, for some reason we can’t do that at KU.

You have road wins at TCU and WVU now. The only competition is Texas freaking Tech. We know how this movie ends, TT will crash back down to earth and KU will clinch before game #18

Is the #4 team in America (Oklahoma) who clobbered Texas Tech and has already beaten TCU twice somehow out of the running?

Reactions: Jayhawkai
Is the #4 team in America (Oklahoma) who clobbered Texas Tech and has already beaten TCU twice somehow out of the running?

Yup. They lost in Motown and a one man show lead by a freshman is not sweeping KU. They already tried that with Buddy Hield, it doesn’t work.

Question for the WVU fans. Why were fans booing Graham? Is it just frustration because he’s been a thorn in your side? Just curious.

The actual players will be over it by tomorrow morning.

Nah, not this one.

Players get over losses quicker than coaches and fans, but this is a tough one. I know its mid January, but this game was massively important if we wanted to have the type of year we thought we were capable of.

Beating KU at home as become a given.... and it was all but done tonight. They choked.

It's gonna be tough to bounce back from this right away.
After KU had 8 turnovers in the first 10 minutes, they only had 5 more the rest of the game.

After Konate had 5 blocks in the first 10 minutes, he had zero the rest of the game.

KU adjusted well, stopped giving the ball away and forced West Virginia to play half court offense, which they aren't great at. Then they finally figured out how to make an open three and it was a ball game after that.

Reactions: Jayhawkai
After KU had 8 turnovers in the first 10 minutes, they only had 5 more the rest of the game.

After Konate had 5 blocks in the first 10 minutes, he had zero the rest of the game.

KU adjusted well, stopped giving the ball away and forced West Virginia to play half court offense, which they aren't great at. Then they finally figured out how to make an open three and it was a ball game after that.

We were up 14 or 16... whatever it was.

Just kept settling for 3's and bad jumpers, and turning it over.... We gave it away.

5-27 from 3.... Eyeroll

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
Nah, not this one.

Players get over losses quicker than coaches and fans, but this is a tough one. I know its mid January, but this game was massively important if we wanted to have the type of year we thought we were capable of.

The gears will shift to March. Yes I’m sure JC and co wanted to be the ones to stop the streak, but the bigger goal is and always will be March. Regular season conference champs are not legends. March is where legends are made, everything now should be about putting the best team on the floor in March, like I said earlier as a team they should stop tracking the standings now.

I’m pretty sure we lead both games by 10 under 2 mins. Obviously my memory is foggy because I thought they were in back to back years, but the refs do not have anything to do with blowing leads like that. Hit FTs and inbound, for some reason we can’t do that at KU.

Just looked it up.

2015 it was a single digit game from the 10 min mark of the 2nd half on. 7 pt game at the 2 minute mark and a 2-3 pt game the final minute.

Obviously 2017 is fresh in memories.

Tough losses. We usually save these types of losses for the tournament.

If what I saw out you guys in Lawrence was anything other than you guys playing over your heads, TTU will be in this to the end.
thx for the recognition -
but Tech didnt win a
single B12 road game last year -
only one so far this year -
3 out of the next 4 games
are on the road -
we've still got a ways to go
to prove Tech is a top ten team -
Wreck Em!!

thx for the recognition -
but Tech didnt win a
single B12 road game last year -
only one so far this year -
3 out of the next 4 games
are on the road -
we've still got a ways to go
to prove Tech is a top ten team -
Wreck Em!!

THIS. The Big 12 title gets won on the road. Bill Self's method for tracking conference standings is a +1 for every road win, 0 for a home win or a road loss and -1 for a home loss.

Kansas +2 (3 road wins, 2 home wins, 1 home loss)

West Virginia +1 (2 road wins, 2 home wins, 1 road loss and 1 home loss)
Texas Tech +1 (1 road win, 3 home wins, 1 road loss)
Oklahoma +1 (1 road win, 3 home wins, 1 road loss)

Kansas State 0 (1 road win, 1 home win, 2 road losses, 1 home loss)
Texas 0 (1 road win, 1 home win, 2 road losses, 1 home loss)

TCU -1 (1 road win, 2 road losses, 2 home losses)
Baylor -1 (0 road wins, 2 home wins, 3 road losses, 1 home loss)
Oklahoma State -1 (0 road wins, 2 home wins, 3 road losses, 1 home loss)

Iowa State -2 (0 road wins, 1 home win, 2 road losses, 2 home losses)

Just saw a stat. KU has won 7 straight true road games vs top 10 opponents.

Road friggin warriors.

Tried to tell everybody they were wrong about this team. It has a chance to make things happen. The defense is improving (as every Self team does), and the sky's the limit if Preston plays.

Everyone wants to compare to great teams of the past when that's irrelevant. There are no great teams this year. Villanova is probably the most solid, but everybody is vulnerable and flawed.

Huggins blaming the players but he should take some of the blame. Another dogshit offensive performance. We just stand around for 30 seconds and jack up a three. It's about time to scrap the Press Virginia shit also. We aren't deep enough and our halfcourt D is better than our fullcourt D anyways.

Just kept settling for 3's and bad jumpers, and turning it over.... We gave it away.

5-27 from 3.... Eyeroll
It's not like 5-27 from the three is a long ways from your 33% average on the season. Apparently the pressure on contenders to bury KU to end The Streak is as real as the pressure on KU to continue The Streak.

What was azubuike’s +/-?

when he was out of the game was when wvu had success.

Reactions: jcrawford21
Got to admit the way WV played at Tech, thought you guys woudl beat KU at home by 10 plus, salty loss for sure.

I understand the concept of pushing tempo defensively for WVU. But under Huggy they have never seemed to have the offense that fits the uptempo style. If a team can make WVU be a jump shooting team and not turn the ball over at a ridiculous rate it's not overly complicated to beat them. Like one of the WVU posters said,,,,, It's those top tier teams that they just can't ever seem to get over.

Reactions: ChiTownSean

5-27 from 3.... Eyeroll
It's not like 5-27 from the three is a long ways from your 33% average on the season. Apparently the pressure on contenders to bury KU to end The Streak is as real as the pressure on KU to continue The Streak.

The percentage was bad but the shear number of shots is what killed them. Way too much settling for bad 3s

Just saw a stat. KU has won 7 straight true road games vs top 10 opponents.
For some national perspective:

Kansas has now won 7 straight true road games against Top 10 teams. Let that sink in for a bit and then someone try to convince me that Self is only good because he gets good players. Find me another roster of good players that has won their last 7 true road wins vs. Top 10 teams.

For some national perspective, in their last 7 true road games vs. Top 10 teams:
Coach K and Duke are 4-3
Roy Williams and Carolina are 1-6
Tom Izzo and Michigan State are 1-6
Jay Wright and Villanova are 1-6
Bob Huggins and West Virginia are 1-6
John Calipari and Kentucky are 1-6

Again, Bill Self and Kansas are 7-0

Road friggin warriors.

Tried to tell everybody they were wrong about this team. It has a chance to make things happen. The defense is improving (as every Self team does), and the sky's the limit if Preston plays.

Everyone wants to compare to great teams of the past when that's irrelevant. There are no great teams this year. Villanova is probably the most solid, but everybody is vulnerable and flawed.

I agree every team has warts. I don't think Villanova's defense is anywhere near as good this year as it has been the last couple of years. Anyone who watched the Marquette game or St. John's game saw Villanova unable to stay in front of an opposing player (MU - Howard, SJU - Ponds). The ability to switch on D simply isn't second nature for all of the players on the roster yet and someone gets caught out of position pretty frequently. It is a concern.

I like what I see from UVA. Defense can win games even when shots aren't falling.

Reactions: tw3301
Huggins blaming the players but he should take some of the blame. Another dogshit offensive performance. We just stand around for 30 seconds and jack up a three. It's about time to scrap the Press Virginia shit also. We aren't deep enough and our halfcourt D is better than our fullcourt D anyways.

How many games would Huggins have won at West Virginia without the press? It wouldn't be pretty.

Living here in KC I have plenty of Jayhawk friends, but I also have a diehard coworker that's a huge WVU fan and he was biting at the bit for this game all week.

He kept saying over and over again he feared Kansas more than any other, even though they had struggled in Morgantown, because when the going gets tough, they don't fold like a tent. He thought Kansas would find a way to slow down WVU and make them play halfcourt offense. Bill Self teams are usually really good at making the opposition a jump shooting team. Well that's exactly what happened in the 2nd half. KU limited their turnovers and forced WVU to run actual offense. Kudos to KU for settling down and turning WVU into a halfcourt team.

WVU lost because Carter played hero ball and he's no hero. Add that to the fact all that energy defensively in the first half was no where to be seen in the 2nd.

I'm just glad KU won. Going into Morgantown takes a lot out of you. Toughest place to play inside the conference for KU and that even goes for Ames and Manhattan.

KU finishes up the week at home vs. Baylor this Saturday (I don't think Baylor has ever won a game in Lawrence) while Texas Tech still has games @Texas and @Iowa State, Oklahoma still has @Kansas State and @Oklahoma State and West Virginia still has a home game vs. Texas. Should be interesting to see what the top of the standings look like 1 week from now.

Return game in Lawrence (Feb 17) is already an epic game left on the schedule regardless of how things pan out with the rest of the conference. We need to steal a win in Lubbock though.

Kansas actually played good defense. when I've seen them play this year their sense has been pretty bad

ADVERTISEMENT