#13 Seton Hall 3-1
#1 Villanova 2-1
Marquette 3-2
Providence 2-2
Butler 2-3
Georgetown 2-3
DePaul 1-3
St. John's 0-5

There are no undefeated teams and we are only 5 games in. But look who is in first place. That's right, none other than the Creighton Bluejays. That is, at least until at least tonight when Xavier goes to Villanova.

Usually things come full circle and that is especially true this year. So Xavier beat Butler who beat Villanova who beat Marquette who beat Seton Hall who beat Creighton who beat Providence who beat Xavier. Life in the BIG East Conference is hard

I would hate to be in that conference, top to bottom, the most difficult conference to get a road win. Good luck!

I would hate to be in that conference, top to bottom, the most difficult conference to get a road win. Good luck!

notsure-1.jpg

I've watched quite a bit of Big East ball this season. It's been extremely enjoyable thus far. There are no gimmes in that conference.

St. John's and Depaul are gimmes

Providence, Marquette and Georgetown aren't exactly meat grinders either and none of those teams have much of a home court advantage. A bunch of half empty off campus NBA arenas.

Reactions: brooky03
Providence, Marquette and Georgetown aren't exactly meat grinders either and none of those teams have much of a home court advantage. A bunch of half empty off campus NBA arenas.

Marquette is pretty tough at home and Providence has been a disappointment, but the DD Center can get loud.

Couldn't agree more with GTown

Reactions: KisteK
BIG 12 VS BIG East

#2 West Virginia vs #1 Villanova
#8 Texas Tech vs #10 Xavier
#9 Oklahoma vs #13 Seton Hall
#12 Kansas #25 Creighton
#16 TCU vs Georgetown
Kansas State vs Marquette
Texas vs Butler
Baylor vs Providence
Oklahoma State vs St Johns
Iowa State vs DePaul

Reactions: hawkeye bb n fb fan
So are Iowa State and Oklahoma State, every conference has those teams. St Johns would beat Iowa State and Oklahoma State on a neutral floor, as would DePaul, IMO

Going by what? My conference is better than your conference? Because going by the games they won/lost it looks like they are on the same level. Hilton coliseum is a tougher place to play than st john and DePaul so I still say Big 12 is more difficult to win road games.

So are Iowa State and Oklahoma State, every conference has those teams. St Johns would beat Iowa State and Oklahoma State on a neutral floor, as would DePaul, IMO

No argument from me. I was just replying to the point made that there were no gimme's in the conference when there are. I was going to expand my list to the bottom 5 teams but didn't want to get into a pointless debate about shitty teams only being a little shitty vs. alot shitty. Shitty is shitty.

Going by what? My conference is better than your conference? Because going by the games they won/lost it looks like they are on the same level. Hilton coliseum is a tougher place to play than st john and DePaul so I still say Big 12 is more difficult to win road games.
Going by the fact that I've watched all 4 teams play
No argument from me. I was just replying to the point made that there were no gimme's in the conference when there are. I was going to expand my list to the bottom 5 teams but didn't want to get into a pointless debate about shitty teams only being a little shitty vs. alot shitty. Shitty is shitty.
Gotcha

Who can Georgetown beat? Anywhere?

And St.John's was a great team, when they were at full strength.. Sucks we don't get to spend the rest of the season with that guard trio (we, the fans). Not sure who they'd beat (anywhere) in the Big 12 now.. but before I put them top 4 in conference (it was a stretch, but I really love LoVette and Simon.
In no way would I lay a dollar on StJohn's beating Okie Lite now.

And as spicy as DePaul is (and I do like), I don't think they're better than the Pokes...
I believe both KenPom and the BPI agree..

These last couple of seasons, the nBE has been must watch basketball, esp at the top and thru the middle of the conference.

Not sure I buy into Baylorball this season (kinda like Marquette), but when two of each conferences' top ( 7 ) are matched up, I want to watch. Really, really fun basketball.

An abortion of a decision to not pin a NBE thread at the top, I mean... they gave the b1g a pin; do they even basketball? ;)
As much action as that thread gets, it'd sit at the top regardless. Just a waste.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...big-east-parity-could-claim-more-victims-soon

Weekend lookahead: Big East parity could claim more victims soon

This year's Big East has the potential to be a bloodbath -- just not the kind that the old Big East guard, the Jim Boeheims and John Thompsons of the world, so fondly and frequently remember.

The new-look league's carnage is more likely to play out in the standings. The Big East has seven teams ranked in the RPI's top 50. While they range from third (Villanova) all the way to 49th (Providence), seemingly every team in that group has the pieces to be a threat to everyone else. It's hard to imagine any of these teams surviving the rest of the regular season without taking a couple of lumps. In a college basketball season that is shaping up to be rife with parity, the Big East may be the most treacherous among the “any given night” crowd. This weekend should provide a couple of opportunities to muddle the pecking order.

No. 23 Creighton(14-3, 4-1) is in prime position to announce its presence on Saturday with a trip to Xavier. The Bluejays are a dangerous team when they find their transition groove. They had assists on more than two-thirds of their field goals earlier this week in a win against Butler -- their fourth straight league victory.

No. 10 Xavier has dropped two games in a row. A blowout at the hands of No. 1 Villanova came on the heels of an upset loss at Providence last weekend. That leaves Chris Mack's team (15-3, 3-2) in need of a big win. Veterans like J.P. Macura and Trevon Bluiett have been at their best when emotions are high on their home court, which should make Saturday's game (2 p.m. ET, Fox) an entertaining battle.

Marquette, projected as an NCAA tournament 10-seed according to ESPN's Bracketology, might also prove to be another difficult out before the season ends. The Golden Eagles have a 12-5 record, but four of those losses have come against ranked teams.

They soundly beat No. 13 Seton Hall earlier this week, and with two players (Markus Howard and Andrew Rowsey) averaging 20-plus points per game, they have the potential to stick with any of the league's other high-scoring teams in a shootout on a good night. Marquette travels to Butler on Friday night -- speaking of teams capable of outshooting the best of the best -- in a matchup of teams that both need a win to avoid falling in an early hole in league play.

Villanova for now remains the league's alpha dog. The Wildcats will be in Madison Square Garden this weekend, which should make that old guard of the Big East smile to see, for what should be a comfortable game against St. John's. They would be wise to treasure it while they can. Comfort won't be a luxury that anyone in this league will get to enjoy for very long over the course of the next couple of months.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but Iowa State and Oklahoma State, historically, AND recently, are much, much, MUCH more difficult venues to get a road win, and it's not even close.

Comparing Iowa State and Oklahoma State (perennial top-25 and NCAA tournament teams this decade) to Depaul and St. Johns (complete and total train wrecks this decade) is a travesty.

Reactions: GE Nole
yea as the resident DePaul spokes person let me say with certainty that we aren't beating Iowa St., Ok, St., or any other team in the B12.

Big East is a lot of fun at the top with some really great teams, but at the bottom it's shit. As a conference the BigEast is not on the same tier as the B12 this season. this season, B12 is head and shoulders above every other conference and its not really close IMO.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but Iowa State and Oklahoma State, historically, AND recently, are much, much, MUCH more difficult venues to get a road win, and it's not even close.

Comparing Iowa State and Oklahoma State (perennial top-25 and NCAA tournament teams this decade) to Depaul and St. Johns (complete and total train wrecks this decade) is a travesty.
Sorry, but thats ridiculous if you believe that.
Maybe the games I watched of OSU and ISU they played bad then because St Johns looked pretty good at Creighton, a game I went to

Maybe the games I watched of OSU and ISU they played bad then because St Johns looked pretty good at Creighton, a game I went to

Yeah as the Depaul poster above said, there is almost no chance that would happen.

The Big 12 is an unbelievable league this year, as it has been in years past. Literally no nights off, ever.

I do commend the Big East for doing true home/home in league play though.

Big 12 poops out early in the tournament, same as the BE. BE actually outperforms the B12 in the tournament -- if only slightly. Both have a lot of work to do to compare to how the ACC has done.

That said, I think Nova would house WVU (top versus top) and Depaul would beat Iowa State (bottom versus bottom). KenPom agrees.

Big 12 poops out early in the tournament, same as the BE. BE actually outperforms the B12 in the tournament -- if only slightly. Both have a lot of work to do to compare to how the ACC has done.

That said, I think Nova would house WVU (top versus top) and Depaul would beat Iowa State (bottom versus bottom). KenPom agrees.

Nova fan talking about pooping out in the tournament.... LOL

You lose in the 2nd round 99% of the time even with a high seed after coasting through that weak ass league.

Nova fan talking about pooping out in the tournament.... LOL

You lose in the 2nd round 99% of the time even with a high seed after coasting through that weak ass league.

Jenkins, FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WVU chokes, today was a disgrace for them. Big12 constantly loses in 2nd round, look it up.

Jenkins, FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WVU chokes, today was a disgrace for them. Big12 constantly loses in 2nd round, look it up.

Laughing
I'm sure you're looking forward to watching Nova lose in the 2nd round or earlier for the 8th time in the last 9 years.

Last edited:

Big East is ranked 23rd in conference home winning percentage this season. And was 16th last season.

ADVERTISEMENT