ADVERTISEMENT

Big Blue Madness and a Place for other Basketball Pre-Season Hype

Is there anyone who achieved great things who wasn't a little crazy? And adulterer is pretty much synonymous with famous athlete. šŸ˜
Pretty much this. I mean, one of Lexingtons only famous person, whom they named their arena after..was a certified racist. Hell a movie was a made. All lies though..

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Pretty much this. I mean, one of Lexingtons only famous person, whom they named their arena after..was a certified racist. Hell a movie was a made. All lies though..
Movies certainly never embellish anything for dramatic effect, especially not a hot button topic like racism. RollLaugh Also, Rupp wasn't from Lexington. He brought his perceived racism with him from Kansas.

Movies certainly never embellish anything for dramatic effect, especially not a hot button topic like racism. RollLaugh Also, Rupp wasn't from Lexington. He brought his perceived racism with him from Kansas.
Idrc either way. I just find it funny that itā€™s certainly a topic of discussion, and has been and will continue to be discussed.

Idrc either way. I just find it funny that itā€™s certainly a topic of discussion, and has been and will continue to be discussed.
It was also a very different era, in which neither you or I were alive. Society and culture was much different than it is now and segregation was still very common, especially in the south. It was a sign of the times. Everyone called black people the "n" word, or negro, or colored during that era. That doesn't mean they were all racist and had no compassion. Look at these photos from the Indiana title team in '53 and UNC in '57. How many black dudes do you see? Branch McCracken and Frank McGuire must've been raging racists too, right? The only reason Rupp's name was plucked from a hat to be the chosen "villain" of that era is because he happened to be the head coach of an all-white team facing an all-black team in the 1966 national championship game, during the height of the human rights movement. It could've been any number of other coaches of that era, but they weren't part of that game... Rupp was. Even after segregation most black players were terrified to play in the south. I would be too if I had people threatening to lynch me everywhere I went. Rupp was solely responsible for Jim Tucker (a black high school player from Kentucky) getting a scholarship to play at Duquesne in the early 50s. Rupp wanted him at UK but the SEC and UK were still segregated. What kind of racist would pull strings to help a black man like that, especially when he doesn't benefit from it? You can hear it straight from Tucker's mouth here from the 6:30 to 8:00 mark. But we should probably just base our assumptions of Rupp on what we saw in a movie that came out 30 years after his death and was loosely based on a book that was co-written by a dude that was like 5-years-old when Rupp died.

P0020377

800px-1957_North_Carolina.jpg

Reactions: UL_1986
Clooney was born in Lexington. Something I recently found out; Michael Shannon grew up a few streets over from me in Lexington. Heā€™s been in several movies, but I seem to enjoy this bit with him more than a lot of the others:

Nobody gives a shit about George Clooney. Jim Varney was from Lexington... freakin' Ernest P. Worrell himself! The top A-lister of every celeb that has ever lived. NOBODY CAN TOP THAT! Plus two of the Backstreet Boys are from there and they are cousins (probably inbred) and I know that makes @lurkeraspect84's little ginger noodle wiggle.

It was also a very different era, in which neither you or I were alive. Society and culture was much different than it is now and segregation was still very common, especially in the south. It was a sign of the times. Everyone called black people the "n" word, or negro, or colored during that era. That doesn't mean they were all racist and had no compassion. Look at these photos from the Indiana title team in '53 and UNC in '57. How many black dudes do you see? Branch McCracken and Frank McGuire must've been raging racists too, right? The only reason Rupp's name was plucked from a hat to be the chosen "villain" of that era is because he happened to be the head coach of an all-white team facing an all-black team in the 1966 national championship game, during the height of the human rights movement. It could've been any number of other coaches of that era, but they weren't part of that game... Rupp was. Even after segregation most black players were terrified to play in the south. I would be too if I had people threatening to lynch me everywhere I went. Rupp was solely responsible for Jim Tucker (a black high school player from Kentucky) getting a scholarship to play at Duquesne in the early 50s. Rupp wanted him at UK but the SEC and UK were still segregated. What kind of racist would pull strings to help a black man like that, especially when he doesn't benefit from it? You can hear it straight from Tucker's mouth here from the 6:30 to 8:00 mark. But we should probably just base our assumptions of Rupp on what we saw in a movie that came out 30 years after his death and was loosely based on a book that was co-written by a dude that was like 5-years-old when Rupp died.

P0020377

800px-1957_North_Carolina.jpg
Good post and points for sure. History has a way of being retold and embellished to make it look like some programs were not guilty of said things.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Nobody gives a shit about George Clooney. Jim Varney was from Lexington... freakin' Ernest P. Worrell himself! The top A-lister of every celeb that has ever lived. NOBODY CAN TOP THAT! Plus two of the Backstreet Boys are from there and they are cousins (probably inbred) and I know that makes @lurkeraspect84's little ginger noodle wiggle.
Clooneys last two good movies were Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading.

Reactions: cdbearde

I was about to give you points for Clooney and Ernest, but you lose those points and then some for the Backstreet Boys. šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Clooneys last two good movies were Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading.
I haven't seen either one. I saw the previews of Oh Brother but it looked pretty cheesy so I never watched it. I liked Ocean's Eleven and all the ones after it, The Perfect Storm, From Dusk til Dawn, and Three Kings.

I haven't seen either one. I saw the previews of Oh Brother but it looked pretty cheesy so I never watched it. I liked Ocean's Eleven and all the ones after it, The Perfect Storm, From Dusk til Dawn, and Three Kings.

Not a Coen Bros fan?

Saving Silverman is still so ****in funny to me. The Neil Diamond obsession lol. Classic. Comeonahyahawww!
Yep. I watch it every time I'm flipping though the guide and see it on TV. Same with Tombstone (greatest movie ever), The Shawshank Redemption, Gladiator, Braveheart, and a handful of others. Funny that I still do that since I can access any of them whenever I want on Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. Just a habit I developed long ago before streaming services existed I guess.

Yep. I watch it every time I'm flipping though the guide and see it on TV. Same with Tombstone (greatest movie ever), The Shawshank Redemption, Gladiator, Braveheart, and a handful of others.
All classics. I saw tombstone once at Baxter Ave theaters for a midnight showing, years back. Was fun as hell. People got dressed up and shit. Reminded me of when they used to show Rocky Horror Picture. Movie theaters arenā€™t the same man. Good times. Get ****ed up at the back door and play some pool, then hit a movie.

All classics. I saw tombstone once at Baxter Ave theaters for a midnight showing, years back. Was fun as hell. People got dressed up and shit. Reminded me of when they used to show Rocky Horror Picture. Movie theaters arenā€™t the same man.
I'm a big Kilmer fan and that is his best role. That would be hilarious to see it in a theater with everyone dressed up. Were the red sash cowboys shooting their revolvers at the screen during Mr. Fabian's theatre show scene? šŸ˜†

• Haha
I'm a big Kilmer fan and that is his best role. That would be hilarious to see it in a theater with everyone dressed up. Were the red sash cowboys shooting their revolvers at the screen during Mr. Fabian's theatre show scene? šŸ˜†
Honestly, probably lol. I was pretty hammered and had been smoking the devils lettuce.

ADVERTISEMENT