ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Extends Membership Invitations

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002

BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF have all received invites.

The future conference will include:

Baylor
BYU
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

E9vI3bQVIAM_RMS

Should be a little reassuring to other Big 12 members that at least the Pac 12 isn't looking to poach. Not sure about the other power conferences.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
A downgrade in football, obviously. Admittedly, all four schools have had a few really good seasons in recent memory, but cumulatively they still can't compensate for the losses of OU and Texas. The new Big 12 should consistently be the 5th best football conference. Maybe occasionally jumping the Pac 12.

Basketball wise, still very much elite. From the past two seasons, Houston and BYU were both ranked higher in KenPom than Oklahoma and Texas. Cincy has a storied program, and Wes Miller should quickly turn that program around. UCF almost had a Sweet 16 appearance two years ago. Still lots of good basketball to come from this conference.

Reactions: KisteK
So what does this really mean as far as the alliance goes? Basically the ACC, BIG, and PAC want to keep the SEC from pulling in more schools?

So what does this really mean as far as the alliance goes? Basically the ACC, BIG, and PAC want to keep the SEC from pulling in more schools?

It's a good question. I'm still not certain what the point of the alliance was. Deterring the SEC from stealing more members may very well be what they were trying to accomplish, even though that wasn't explicitly stated. Kind of funny how they didn't include the Big 12 in the alliance, though.

Reactions: KisteK and JimboBBN
It's a good question. I'm still not certain what the point of the alliance was. Deterring the SEC from stealing more members may very well be what they were trying to accomplish, even though that wasn't explicitly stated. Kind of funny how they didn't include the Big 12 in the alliance, though.
A response to the rumors Clemson and FSU/Ohio State and Michigan were to be cornered for a super league.

Also they only way to increase revenue without poaching would be scheduling agreements.

That's it.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Pretty damn hard to get excited about this one, but it is what it is.

Houston and Cincy make a ton of sense. BYU is a scheduling nightmare and pretty far away, but at least they have a passionate and large fanbase.

UCF…whatevs. Obviously there is the benefit of having a team in Florida, but nobody in Florida really pays attention to them. So not sure how much juice it gives you revenue wise. And it’s no we’re close geographically. Memphis would have seemed like a better fit, but like I said, whatevs.

Pretty damn hard to get excited about this one, but it is what it is.

Better than the Big 12 dissolving though, right? Or would you rather join another conference?

Houston and Cincy make a ton of sense. BYU is a scheduling nightmare and pretty far away, but at least they have a passionate and large fanbase.

UCF…whatevs. Obviously there is the benefit of having a team in Florida, but nobody in Florida really pays attention to them. So not sure how much juice it gives you revenue wise. And it’s no we’re close geographically. Memphis would have seemed like a better fit, but like I said, whatevs.

Doesn't UCF have one of the largest student enrollments in the country? It's true I never see or hear anyone talking about them, but at some point that alumni base is going to mean something, especially if they make noise like they did in 2017.

Is BYU really a scheduling nightmare? I mean, I guess it takes Sunday away. But, not many collegiate events take place on Sunday anyway.

The geography of this conference is pretty bizarre, though.

Reactions: KisteK
Is the B12 still considered a power conference with that lineup? Looks shaky at best.
As far as basketball...

Houston's been much better than Texas in recent years. Cincinnati and BYU have been on par with Oklahoma over the last decade or so.

Not sure how this is a major downgrade from what the Big 12 has been.

Last edited:
Adding some new personalities

UCF is Mickey Mouse U. You take the bad parts of Houston and add Disney World you get Orlando.
They act like the millennial university as well.

UCF is hungry and has the resources to win

Cincinnati is a NFL city. Nobody cares about Cincinnati football. Good basketball city though.
Is it Kentucky or is it Ohio?
Race baiting there is absolutely crazy.

Would rather have had Memphis

BYU
Mormons pretty much owns Utah. Their church is more powerful than the government.
You get BYU from that. Heard they already think they can run the Big 12

Houston
Pretty much in the 3rd Ward and connected to Texas Southern.
School who isn’t afraid to cheat and do what it takes to win.
Still Cougar High. Not like Cougar High is getting a chance to play with the big boys.

Is the B12 still considered a power conference with that lineup? Looks shaky at best.

Shaky? Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. In the current 4-team playoff, they might have a top 4 team once or twice every 10 years. Guess Big 12 football should at least have hope in the fact that the CFP is likely to expand to 12 teams, so they should be able to sneak a team in most seasons. I imagine the power conference rankings in football will be rather predictable. In most years, it will be:

1. SEC
2. Big 10
3. ACC
4. Pac 12
5. Big 12

It's a power conference in basketball, though, without question. In the final AP Basketball Poll, they would have had 7 of the top 25 teams. And, of course, they had last year's national champion, as well as one other Final Four squad.

Last edited:
Better than the Big 12 dissolving though, right? Or would you rather join another conference?

Doesn't UCF have one of the largest student enrollments in the country? It's true I never see or hear anyone talking about them, but at some point that alumni base is going to mean something, especially if they make noise like they did in 2017.

Is BYU really a scheduling nightmare? I mean, I guess it takes Sunday away. But, not many collegiate events take place on Sunday anyway.

The geography of this conference is pretty bizarre, though.

UCF has a massive student base but it’s kind of a commuter school. Lot of people who go there root for other teams, if they care about college sports at all. Hell, UCF has more students than the capacity of their football stadium (like 45k).

As for BYU, would seem like sports like baseball, track, etc would be a huge PITA to schedule around them.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Most important thing is that schools will vote as a block. That basically means there will be limits on the number of teams from the same conference in any expanded football playoff, diluting the impact of the SEC expanding.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Big 12 will actually have 12 schools again, so their conference name won't sound so stupid anymore. Good job, Big 12.

Provo - Mormons
Morgantown - We will burn every damn couch in this city
Orlando - homos
Lawrence - more homos
Waco - Long live David Koresh
Stillwater - Wishes it was Norman
Houston - We have a problem
Lubbock - Middle-of-nowhere, good spot for tumbleweed watchers
Cincinnati - Kentucky's red-headed stepchild (no offense, Lurk!)
Ames - Corn?
Fort Worth - Steers n Queers
Manhattan - Keep driving, nothing to see here.

Provo - Mormons
Orlando - homos
Lawrence - more homos
Ames - Corn?

maury-lmao.gif

Provo - Mormons
Orlando - homos
Lawrence - more homos
Ames - Corn?
No offense, but a moderator showing signs of homophobia is prob not the best look…

No offense, but a moderator showing signs of homophobia is prob not the best look…
I'm not offended at all, but you seem to be. It's a joke, and I have gay friends that make the same remarks. They are funny people and not thin skinned like you, which is why they are my friends. Does it offend you that I said "Mormons," too?

I think it's been estimated that Lawrence is in the top 10 small US cities for gay households.

Having lived in Lawrence for a good chunk of my life, I can definitely confirm that there are plenty of gays in this town.

Reminds me of the time (night of the 2012 title game vs Kentucky actually) that a dude literally tried to rape me in somebody's bathroom.

I think it's been estimated that Lawrence is in the top 10 small US cities for gay households.

Having lived in Lawrence for a good chunk of my life, I can definitely confirm that there are plenty of gays in this town.

Reminds me of the time (night of the 2012 title game vs Kentucky actually) that a dude literally tried to rape me in somebody's bathroom.
Thank you for this confirmation. Vulva be hating on my facts.

I'm not offended at all, but you seem to be. It's a joke, and I have gay friends that make the same remarks. They are funny people and not thin skinned like you, which is why they are my friends. Does it offend you that I said "Mormons," too?
There’s a difference between what is privately said among friends and a free public forum. I have nothing against you, just my opinion.

So I guess you think that having plenty of gays is a negative aspect of the town?

So I guess you think that having pleny of gays is a negative aspect of the town?
I didn’t say that. I just said that, from experience, it appears to be true.

Doesn’t matter to me either way.

I didn’t say that. I just said that, from experience, it appears to be true.

Doesn’t matter to me either way.
Yes, but it’s pretty clear that in the moderator’s post that you are defending, he is insinuating negative aspects of the various towns.

There’s a difference between what is privately said among friends and a free public forum. I have nothing against you, just my opinion.
That's quite the high horse you ride, especially with your propensity to call people idiots, morons, potatoes, spuds, losers, etc. on this very forum. Let's not forget about this homophobic jewel... I believe the word I'm looking for is hypocrite.

homo.png

That's quite the high horse you ride, especially with your propensity to call people idiots, morons, potatoes, spuds, losers, etc. on this very forum. Let's not forget about this homophobic jewel... I believe the word I'm looking for is hypocrite.

homo.png
LOL homoboard = homeboard. Keep digging.

edit: And I am not a fcking moderator. You should be held to a higher standard than someone with the user name VulvHa.

LOL homoboard = homeboard. Keep digging.

edit: And I am not a fcking moderator. You should be held to a higher standard than someone with the user name VulvHa.
I knew you would say that. Hilarious trying to play if off like that was a mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT