ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 champs

Haven’t lost a senior night game since Reagan was POTUS. 1983. Toughest league in the country.
We would have lost to a lot of teams tonight. Couldn’t throw it in the ocean. The effort was fine, but some nights you just struggle shooting the ball. But at the end of the day a W is still a W. Didn’t think we’d be champs a few weeks ago. Shouldn’t have doubted Self.

Closest we’ve come to losing on senior night was 1999. Won by one in ot on a ‘questionable’ foul committed by okie state on Ryan Robertson. He hits both free throws and we escaped. Probably should have lost that one.

We would have lost to a lot of teams tonight. Couldn’t throw it in the ocean. The effort was fine, but some nights you just struggle shooting the ball. But at the end of the day a W is still a W. Didn’t think we’d be champs a few weeks ago. Shouldn’t have doubted Self.
We will walk a fine line in the NCAA tourney this year. Not sure we can survive with Wilson and Grady off from deep.

Only a contrarian or masochist would pick someone other than Self to win the Big 12 at this point.

I'd say at least 2-3 Big 12 teams have better rosters than KU this year.

Which ones?
Texas and Baylor.

Texas underutilizes their big men and their guards take a lot of bad shots. Baylor's guards are maybe the best in the country, but they play a lot of hero ball. When they're hitting they're untouchable. But they aren't always hitting and sometimes none of them are hitting. I wouldn't pick them to win it all, because they will have an off night shooting the ball when they take bad shots, and they don't have much of any way to make up for it. Texas I could see going far. They take bad shots at times, but they have good enough big men to bail out their guards.

TCU when fully healthy is as good as anybody. Maybe not at an overall talent standpoint, but the combination of talent and experience makes them very good. Their record won't show it since they've been banged up so much, but they are deadly when healthy and clicking.

I agree with Texas, Baylor, not sure about...
Raw talent yes Baylor has better talent. Maybe less skill though and not as well coached.

Baylor this year reminds me of 2012 Mizzou. Great guards and good shooters who hit tough shots. They have better big men than that team and play better defense, but aren’t as consistent shooting the ball as that Mizzou team. But similarly I think they lose early with a bad night shooting.

I agree with Texas, Baylor, not sure about...
Baylor probably has the best guards in the country, and might be the best offensive team in the country, despite taking a lot of junk shots. Self would have them running better offense and playing stronger D.

Baylor probably has the best guards in the country, and might be the best offensive team in the country, despite taking a lot of junk shots. Self would have them running better offense and playing stronger D.
Fair , just saying based on recruiting rankings , KU I think has the highly ranked players - was Flagler a top 150 kid?

From an NBA talent standpoint? I'd disagree.

From a college standpoint, Texas might be better, but KU is right behind them.
I meant college, but KU isn’t exactly full of obvious pro talent. Dick will be drafted pretty highly based on potential and Wilson might slip into the first round. I’m not sure any others will be sniffing a pro roster anytime soon.

I meant college, but KU isn’t exactly full of obvious pro talent. Dick will be drafted pretty highly based on potential and Wilson might slip into the first round. I’m not sure any others will be sniffing a pro roster anytime soon.
I remember someone laughing at me for betting on Kansas to win the Big 12 yet again. Said this was gonna be a step back........

So just to make sure that still comes true.

I'm betting $50+ on every Kansas game now until you win the national championship!!! :)

Texas doesn't have any plus big men. Dissou is our best big, but he wouldn't start at any other big 12 school.

Dissou - 6'9
Mitchell 6'8
Bishop 6'7

It's our fatal flaw.
They seem bigger because they’re athletic. But I do think it’s a flaw that goes back to your last coach. He always overlooked his bigs and never developed them. It’s continued with this staff even if not by design. Your guards need to get your big guys involved. This is even more the case for Baylor who does have athletic big men that their guards just completely ignore.

Fair , just saying based on recruiting rankings , KU I think has the highly ranked players - was Flagler a top 150 kid?

Yeah, but you know that's not a good way to judge current ability at the college level.

Most of KU's top 100 players are dudes who don't play or barely play. MJ Rice is KU's 2nd highest-rated player. Would you take him over Flagler right now? Obviously not. Most people probably don't even know who he is.

Baylor and Texas have as many top 100 guys in their rotations as KU. George and Mitchell are the highest-rated players among all three teams. Both Baylor and Texas have several really good upperclassmen who weren't top 100 out of HS.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Yeah, but you know that's not a good way to judge current ability at the college level.

Most of KU's top 100 players are dudes who don't play or barely play. MJ Rice is KU's 2nd highest-rated player. Would you take him over Flagler right now? Obviously not. Most people probably don't even know who he is.

Baylor and Texas have as many top 100 guys in their rotations as KU. George and Mitchell are the highest-rated players among all three teams. Both Baylor and Texas have several really good upperclassmen who weren't top 100 out of HS.
Well that's thing- I feel like Drew should get credit for Flager- guy started at Presbyterian college and look at him now.

KU guys ranked from Rivals:
Jalen Wilson-Top 50 recruit-prob first team all american this year as well
Dajuan Harris- 4 star recruit
KJ Adams- Ranked 94th
Zach Clemence-Top 50 recruit
Gradey Dick- 5 start recruit- could be lottery pick
MJ Rice- 5 Star Recruit
Udeh- Top 50 recruit
McCullar- 4 star recruit

Baylor
Thama-3 Star Recruit
Langton Love- Ranked 57th, 4 star recruit coming off an ACL injury last season.
Keyonta George- 5 star, prob lottery pick
Flagler- 2 or 3 star recruit?
Cryer- 4 Star recruit, ranked 103
Jalen Bridgers- 4 star recruit
Lohner-3 Star recruit
Tchawa Tchatchoua- 3 star recruit?

Big Props to Drew this season- if Baylor somehow wins it all this season, clear 1-2 best coaches in college basketball between Self and Drew with the competition...

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Well that's thing- I feel like Drew should get credit for Flager- guy started at Presbyterian college and look at him now.

KU guys ranked from Rivals:
Jalen Wilson-Top 50 recruit-prob first team all american this year as well
Dajuan Harris- 4 star recruit
KJ Adams- Ranked 94th
Zach Clemence-Top 50 recruit
Gradey Dick- 5 start recruit- could be lottery pick
MJ Rice- 5 Star Recruit
Udeh- Top 50 recruit
McCullar- 4 star recruit

Baylor
Thama-3 Star Recruit
Langton Love- Ranked 57th, 4 star recruit coming off an ACL injury last season.
Keyonta George- 5 star, prob lottery pick
Flagler- 2 or 3 star recruit?
Cryer- 4 Star recruit, ranked 103
Jalen Bridgers- 4 star recruit
Lohner-3 Star recruit
Tchawa Tchatchoua- 3 star recruit?

Big Props to Drew this season- if Baylor somehow wins it all this season, clear 1-2 best coaches in college basketball between Self and Drew with the competition...

I'm not saying that Drew doesn't deserve plenty of credit for developing players, but I think recruiting rankings can be thrown out the window for the most part, especially when comparing players with much different levels of experience. Freshman Frank Mason had recently decommitted from Towson and barely saw the court. Senior Frank was NPOY. He would have been one of the highest-rated players in his class if he'd had the same ability when he entered college. MJ Rice might blossom into a superstar in a year or two, but right now he's one of the least-productive players on the roster.

Baylor was a top 5 preseason team for a reason. There are a lot of talented pieces there.

Kansas fans , is there any reason besides his defense why Rice isn’t playing ? Don’t see many five stars not playing ….

Kansas fans , is there any reason besides his defense why Rice isn’t playing ? Don’t see many five stars not playing ….

Seemed like they had fairly high hopes for him this year, but he had a few health issues/injuries that put him behind early. Self definitely isn't the type to put players on the court before they're ready.

But I don't think it's that uncommon for a 5 star freshman to not play a ton of minutes. Especially for a highly-rated team.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Same with Kansas - https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...arolina-gonzaga-houston-lead-preseason-ap-top

Man I do also wish Frank Mason stayed with Towson !! Big props to Self for helping Mason become the player he did.

I'm not saying that KU is talentless. l just think that Baylor and Texas have stronger individual parts.

I also think that ranking had more to do with a belief in Self than belief in the players. There were only a few proven players on the entire roster, and Wilson took a huge leap this season.

I'm not saying that KU is talentless. l just think that Baylor and Texas have stronger individual parts.

I also think that ranking had more to do with a belief in Self than belief in the players. There were only a few proven players on the entire roster, and Wilson took a huge leap this season.
Agree to disagree here 😎

Wilson will not be first round imo. He will be late second. He plays below the rim.

Bet the big 12 doesn't have 3 teams in the elite 8 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT