Better Than Expected / Worse Than Expected

JonBuckley

Jan 8, 2008
From the Big Ten:

OSU is way better than I expected. I expected them to be terrible. Started BIG play 2-0 with a lopsided victory over Wisconsin and a huge comeback vs UM.

Iowa is way worse than I expected. They have played an easy schedule and sit at 4-5 and 0-2 in conference play with losses to Penn St and Indiana. With other losses to SD State and LA-Lafayette. I thought they would be a bubble team but the bubble has already popped.

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
From the Big Ten:

OSU is way better than I expected. I expected them to be terrible. Started BIG play 2-0 with a lopsided victory over Wisconsin and a huge comeback vs UM.

Iowa is way worse than I expected. They have played an easy schedule and sit at 4-5 and 0-2 in conference play with losses to Penn St and Indiana. With other losses to SD State and LA-Lafayette. I thought they would be a bubble team but the bubble has already popped.
At this point Wisconsin is worse than I expected and Penn State has been better than I expected. But I do agree with your two as well.

pig1960

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2010
Better than expected - Tennessee and Western Kentucky Winking. Worse - Iowa. Had them as a dark horse and they grossly underperformed.

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
Better than expected - Tennessee and Western Kentucky Winking. Worse - Iowa. Had them as a dark horse and they grossly underperformed.
The crazy thing is Iowa’s got the talent. Just don’t get why they’re not playing well so far.

Reactions: KisteK

stakesarehigh

Oct 16, 2014
Iowa typically has had a "star" type player of late they key the team through. They dont have that this year. With no tremendous threat to concern themselves with teams can man up and beat them.

Reactions: KisteK and Toast.

jwardelt

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2007
At this point Wisconsin is worse than I expected and Penn State has been better than I expected. But I do agree with your two as well.
I don't know, PSU seemed pretty much like all other years.

JonBuckley

Jan 8, 2008
I agree. The B1G is not off to a great start. It's looking like a 4 bid league but at the end of the day they will probably get 6. MSU, Minnesota and Purdue are likely locks. After that you have a lot of nervous teams. Wisconsin could see their streak end. They dodged a bullet at the end of the Penn St game.

Worse than expected: The Big Ten.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Better than expected: Maryland, Penn State

Worse than expected: Northwestern, Iowa

Reactions: MGC_07

RR30

Sep 16, 2013
Team
Kentucky
I already thought A&M was the best team in the SEC and they've somehow exceeded my expectations so far.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Better than expected:

Big 10: Rutgers ans PSU.
SEC: Basically the entire conference. I did expect A&M to be good. But not this good.
ACC: Miami and UVA. Expected them to be decent. But so far, both have looked a lot better than I thought. Bith with impressive road wins: Miami at Minny, at UVA at VCU.
Dont watch enough of the B12 /BE or PAC.

Worse:
Big: Iowa, Wisky and Nwestern. Just a disaster so far.
SEC: TBH, I really dunno. It would easy to say UK. They have looked underwhelming at times. But they are young. But man iut seems as if every game, sans 1 or 2, has been a dog fight for these guys. And we;re not talking about vs the Likes of DUke, UNC, etc, etc...We are talking about Vermont, Harvard and UTVS. Just seems in years past, even when young, they always dismanteld these type of teams. Especially at home.

ACC: UL. Expected. And as of late, Notre Dame.

As for my Hoosiers? Honestly about what i expected, sans the Indiana State game. I thought we would be 6-3 at this point; losses to SH, Duke and UM.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Better than expected: Mikal Bridges

Worse than expected: Miles Bridges

If I would've told you 2 months ago that Nova Bridges would be better this year than MSU Bridges would any one have believed me?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
I still don't

You don't think Mikal has been better than Miles this year or you just shocked by that news?

It really hasn't even been close between the two. Miles actually has taken a step back this year whereas Mikal has improved maybe more than anyone out there.

Mikal: 19ppg on 57 FG%, 6 boards, 1.7 assists, 2.3 steals, 1.4 blocks

Miles: 15.4 ppg on 44 FG%, 6.4 boards, 1.4 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.5 blocks

Reactions: KisteK

JonBuckley

Jan 8, 2008
Miles has definitely been slowed by his sprained ankle. Hopefully he breaks out soon and returns to form. He's been good but not great so far this year. He is shooting to many jump shots and not attacking the basket.

You don't think Mikal has been better than Miles this year or you just shocked by that news?

It really hasn't even been close between the two. Miles actually has taken a step back this year whereas Mikal has improved maybe more than anyone out there.

Mikal: 19ppg on 57 FG%, 6 boards, 1.7 assists, 2.3 steals, 1.4 blocks

Miles: 15.4 ppg on 44 FG%, 6.4 boards, 1.4 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.5 blocks

Reactions: MileHighSpartan

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
I forgot about the sprained ankle. Hopefully he recovers fully and starts playing better cause he's definitely looked noticeably worse this year (or at least hasn't improved at all which in itself is very surprising)

mizzoucobra

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Worse than expected: Missouri. Losing Porter was a dagger.

Better than expected: Missouri. And yet...
For losing a top 5 draft pick, not having a capable pg, and facing several good ball pressure defenses...I'm cautiously optimistic.

@Utah was the only game they had no business winning. That was an abortion.

MGC_07

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2016
Better than expected: Mikal Bridges

Worse than expected: Miles Bridges

If I would've told you 2 months ago that Nova Bridges would be better this year than MSU Bridges would any one have believed me?
Still early. Miles is still coming off an ankle injury

KisteK

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2012
For losing a top 5 draft pick, not having a capable pg, and facing several good ball pressure defenses...I'm cautiously optimistic.

@Utah was the only game they had no business winning. That was an abortion.
Thought your frosh point looked promising during the Kansas scrimmage.. Have only caught a game or two since, can you give a breakdown?

mizzoucobra

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Thought your frosh point looked promising during the Kansas scrimmage.. Have only caught a game or two since, can you give a breakdown?
Hasn't been good. Neither have the two holdovers.

Likes to go 100 mph, makes some tremendous plays, almost always out of control. Doesn't shoot much. Lot of sloppy plays.

Hoya1987

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2007
BE:

Better than expected: Creighton
Worse than expected: Providence