Betsy Ross Surprised as Dems Prove Trump Broke a Crime . . . Soon

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Random UK Fan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. MrBaracus

MrBaracus Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think it’s probably a good idea, as long as there are reasonable exclusions and expectations.

2. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

3. proudopete

proudopete Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I understand the outrage but, when her quote is taken in the context of what she was speaking on, it appears to be generic on purpose, much like the “defense people on both sides” quote. Decorum dictates she not call them Muslim and to be fair, they were probably more radical than anything. Seems to be a petty reason to be pissed off or to use 9/11 as a rally cry against her.

I have no clue what other things she has said and to be honest, it doesn’t affect me so I don’t care. Politicians say stupid stuff all the time. I don’t have the resources to be pissed off numerous times a day, every day.

I stand by my statement that the picture was politicizing 9/11. There was no need to show a picture that invokes very real feelings in everyone who see it’s along with her name along with a quote taken out of context.

My main point is that the label of Muslim is only one of many labels we can attach to the people who hijacked the planes. We don’t attach Koresh or Jim Jones to modern Christianity because what they did was considered radical and outside of the norms and acceptable behavior. I think the same applies here. Radical Islam and radical Christianity are both bad. But, there are many who feel all Muslims are bad based on 9/11 and my point was that to do that is wrong and I have given a few Christian examples that are comparable.

Bottom line. I don’t get mad just because the New York post, or anyone else for that matter, wants me to be mad.

4. BasketBallJunkie-UK

BasketBallJunkie-UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

But you brought up the dow as if it actually meant something.

You are correct I'm very soured on the state of our political system. Are you talking about the CATO links? LOL A trade deficit is really very simple. We buy more from China than do from us. Nothing anymore complicated than that. Pretty much norm for the US.

5. BasketBallJunkie-UK

BasketBallJunkie-UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Its all in the gene pool. Trump's followers, the gene pool is a mess.

6. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

How awesome is your gene pool?

7. LetsGoDuke301

LetsGoDuke301 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I did not.

8. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

1. Most of the country didn’t use 9/11 as a rallying cry against her until she decided to open her mouth and downplay 9/11.
    2. How is the quote taken out of context? Here’s the quote for you
    "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties." (CAIR was founded in 1994 btw, lol)
    3. “there are many who feel all Muslims are bad based on 9/11” this is simply untrue and you know it. Its a very small percentage of the population who lumps all muslims together and blames the entire religion.

9. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Mainly denim

Random UK Fan, SNU0821 and bMORE607 like this.
  10. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Her comments were not taken out of context. She was saying that muslim Americans were being treated like second hand citizens because some people did something. She claimed that CAIR (Muslim American rights group) was created after 9/11 because of how muslims were being treated after the attacks. Which is not true. It started in the early/mid 90's. She went out of her way to paint Muslim Americans as the real victims of 9/11. She has been given multiple opportunities to clarify what she was saying, but has refused. Probably because it was clear what she was saying.

You can try and downplay her comments and say it doesn't matter to you. But you felt the need to blindly defend her, so it must matter somewhat to you.

Also, the picture was not politicizing 9/11. It was illustrating the ignorance of her comments. I am sure if Rush Limbaugh said something similar, it would be fired back at him as well. It really shouldn't be that hard to say, yeah, that was an insensitive and dumb thing to say especially since she refuses to clarify what she meant.

11. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I kind of respect her for not clarifying what she meant. In a world where people apologize for things they say, many times not actually even being sorry, only because they want to save face, this woman is like fvck you guys I meant what I said.

SNU0821 likes this.
  12. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I actually agree here.

SNU0821 likes this.
  13. JC for 3

JC for 3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

....hmmmmm don't see any vagina costumes or ANTIFA attacks.

SNU0821 likes this.
  14. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The 9-11 perps were Muslims. It is not an insult to call a Muslim a muslim. Their intent was to kill as many Americans as possible because they were taught to do that my Muhammad.

How dumb does a person have to be to not understand it was an attack on America? A third grader would understand.

6254 Bert Higginbotha, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Random UK Fan likes this.
  15. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If she worked at GameStop would you want her to lie?

16. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Imagine spending all that effort blindly defending something you say you don’t care about.

17. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

@proudopete if “some people did something” was a gaffe and came out wrong, that’s one thing. It seems more like a deliberate downplay of what happened that day. I compare it more to Obama and Hillary using “Easter worshippers” in terms of deliberate use of words.

Bert Higginbotha likes this.
  18. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of Americans just don't like Islam to be honest.

UL_1986 likes this.
  19. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Some people don’t like something

20. IUBtown

IUBtown Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I just want to thank OP for changing the thread title as it goes. Gives me a chuckle.

FaithPlusOne and Random UK Fan like this.
  21. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I know a lot of americans don't like radical islam. I also know the rules of islam and women wouldn't fly if christians tried to implement them in america.......so.......where should we stand?

Bert Higginbotha and bMORE607 like this.
  22. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of Islamists just don't like America. Is there a point you are trying to make?

23. bMORE607

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It's unfair to make generalizations about 9/11 and the Muslim community.

Also here's a generalization about Americans and their opinion on the Muslim community.

24. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this. I think that people feel that way because they have little to no interactions with people of Muslim faith. What is it, like 1.5% of Americans are Muslim? And most of those Muslims probably live in cities close to one another so there's huge areas where people just won't come into contact with any on a day to day basis. On top of that, the only exposure those Americans will have to Islam is what they read and see in the news, which is sadly mostly negative. We also our a culture who tends to live in fear of most things they don't understand or aren't familiar with. Add that all up and you have a lot of people who are just ignorant on the matter.

UL_1986 and bkingUK like this.
  25. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I certainly don't think it is a false statement. I just don't see the relevance here. Is bking saying that we don't like Omar's comments because she is a Muslim? I will wait for him to answer.

Sorta off topic. But what gets me is often times the ones who defend Islam against discrimination are also the ones who trash Christianity regularly. Which is also strange because often times those same people identify as progressive and a lot of the culture of Islam does not align with progressive ideology.

26. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We've come a long way from Betsy Ross

27. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No sir. My county in rural Kentucky has two Mosques. I see Muslims on a daily basis. I have worked with Muslims. One of my best college friends was Mohammed Ali Marou from Iran. He was a great guy who refused to go home during summer because he could not drink beer.

I know some very great Muslims. I also know what Islam teaches. I view Islam as a bad religion without morals. I am willing to debate Islamic morals with anyone. Most Muslims are cultural Muslims. They are good folks who do no harm to anyone. But the true believer is a problem.

However, the bastards on 9-11 were not cultural Muslims. They pulled off 9-11 for Allah. They were following the same god that killed millions and millions of Hindus, Christians and Jews in establishing their "Islamic Caliphates". The 9-11 Muslims were following the Wahhabism movement. Their goal was to start a war to make the entire earth their Caliphate.

So many folks are not ignorant of Islam. Many folks understand it. If you read the Quran you can begin to understand the Wahhabism movement.

28. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Anecdotal. I believe you but let's not pretend like your interactions with Muslims in your life represent what most Americans have experienced.

You truly are a one of a kind man who has lived a different life than the average person. Take that as a compliment but most Americans don't base their opinions on Islam on any kind of interactions or discussions.

29. bMORE607

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

30. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Perfect.

Bert Higginbotha and bMORE607 like this.
  31. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I didn’t even say I disagreed with disliking Islam. Shouldn’t assume that. I think it’s a pretty regressive religion. This is a place where I’d be considered more conservative. I think they should be called out on it more often to be honest. I hold Islam to the same standards as religions in America I feel many are regressive and bad for humanity.

And I’m not just talking terrorism. I’m talking the fact that since Islam flourished in the Middle East, a region that once led the globe in science has significantly decreased scientific contribution. The fact that women are held back and forced to wear head scarves. All of that.

I’ve always felt as if I’m going to criticize extreme Christian religions for this that the same standard should be applied to Islam.

LetsGoDuke301 and toonces11 like this.
  32. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup. Liberals can’t stay consistent when it comes to that.

33. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What do you think about the libs that don’t do that? (Bottom paragraph)

34. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And having stated that, I think that one reason Omar is getting more flack is absolutely because she’s Muslim... because it’s true. She can disagree with people’s perception and has a right to change that perception, but I do think her being Muslim absolutely 100% with out a shadow of a doubt is what makes her comments controversial.

35. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think there are a lot of issues where people divide into tribes. Liberals defend Islam because the narrative is that Islam == terrorism, so they push back on that. That view is usually pushed by the religious right wing, which is what I find ironic. They are more alike than not imo

36. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, they would be controversial from anyone. But you are right, the fact that she is Muslim definitely enhances the backlash. In all honesty, if she wasn't Muslim she never makes those comments.

bMORE607 and Bert Higginbotha like this.
  37. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Anyone who was alive during 9/11 witnessed the mass insanity and shellshock that took place in the country after it occurred. The anger from 9/11 justified hatred and fear of fundamentalist Islam, but more broadly Islam as a whole.

It was strong enough to validate two different wars in the Middle East. People talk about how bad the Iraq War was but they also often forget it had over 90% approval in the beginning phases. Bush could've made any reason he wanted to justify the war and it would've been embraced.

So, when a Muslim woman in a headscarf says something that can be perceived as the encroachment of Islam in America, that's the backlash.

UL_1986 and Random UK Fan like this.
  38. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

But: have you ever read the Quran?

39. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That is the difference. Muslims hate non-Muslims. They are taught to do that.

40. LetsGoDuke301

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I generally agree with your post, but maybe not this part. Her comments were offensive as well as ignorant. That has nothing to do with her being Muslim. Her comments may be motivated by her being Muslim, but they would have the same level of disrespect if she were Hindu, Jewish or Christian.