ADVERTISEMENT

Best Pure Shooter This Century

Who is the best pure shooter this cenutry?

• Stephen Curry, Davidson

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • Jimmer Fredette, BYU

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • John Jenkins, Vanderbilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Kapono, UCLA

• Kyle Korver, Creighton

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Chris Lofton, Tennessee

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Fletcher Magee, Wofford

• Steve Novak, Marquette

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • JJ Redick, Duke

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Salim Stoudamire, Arizona

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Who you got? Some things to take into consideration:

Obviously percentages - but also have to consider volume shooting, shooting off the dribble, being heavily guarded, coming off of ball screens, and free throws. I'm sure we could probably include some more names to this list.

We talking just in college, or NBA as well? I voted Steph, assuming we are talking entire career.

If we are just talking college, I think I would go with Lofton. Maybe just because I saw him play a lot more in college.

This is a based on the eye test. Someone will have to post stats for me to consider them, I'm lazy.

We talking just in college, or NBA as well? I voted Steph, assuming we are talking entire career.

Yes, just college. If we extend beyond that, Steph wins, no question. And I don't think that's debatable. He has improved his shooting from fantastic to arguably the greatest of all-time.

Really not even a question. If people answer honestly.

All 10 of those guys listed are dynamite shooters. I think Curry has taken his shooting to a level to another level in the NBA, to be honest. I'd take Redick over Curry in college. There are several guys on the list that have higher shooting percentages than Redick, however. Granted, they might not have been guarded as heavily. I voted Novak. I understand he wasn't quite the volume shooter as Redick or Curry. 97.4% from the foul line his senior year. How ridiculous is that?

2007041861010_0.jpg

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Yes, just college. If we extend beyond that, Steph wins, no question. And I don't think that's debatable. He has improved his shooting from fantastic to arguably the greatest of all-time.

All 10 of those guys listed are dynamite shooters. I think Curry has taken his shooting to a level to another level in the NBA, to be honest. I'd take Redick over Curry in college. There are several guys on the list that have higher shooting percentages than Redick, however. Granted, they might not have been guarded as heavily. I voted Novak. I understand he wasn't quite the volume shooter as Redick or Curry. 97.4% from the foul line his senior year. How ridiculous is that?
I agree. If whole career, Steph, no questions. I assumed college.

I love how you just assumed he was homering it. Laughing

I don't think he's ever made a post that wasn't homering Duke or attacking UNC.

I agree. If whole career, Steph, no questions. I assumed college.

Yes, this is for college only. All 10 guys are legitimate candidates. I was trying to say that Curry wasn't exactly the same shooter in college as he is in the NBA. He went from great to essentially perfect. Best shooter in college this century is open for debate.

I'm going with Lofton then. Redick is close, but hes a turd. Laughing

Reactions: dukedevilz
Still can't believe Fletcher Magee went 0-12 from 3 against Kentucky. One of the biggest individual choke jobs in recent memory.
Did he have big games against any high level opponents? I'm too lazy to look, but our athleticism REALLY bothered him. I'm not so sure it was a choke job, because I think most athletic teams would have shut him down. Keep in mind I'm basing my opinion on a 1 game sample size.

Still can't believe Fletcher Magee went 0-12 from 3 against Kentucky. One of the biggest individual choke jobs in recent memory.

He also went 0-9 vs KU (1-14 overall) and 3-16 vs UNC.

I don't think he belongs on this list. I'm betting his numbers would be much less impressive in a real conference.

Did he have big games against any high level opponents? I'm too lazy to look, but our athleticism REALLY bothered him. I'm not so sure it was a choke job, because I think most athletic teams would have shut him down. Keep in mind I'm basing my opinion on a 1 game sample size.

Dropped 27 when they defeated Carolina during the 2018 season (6 for 11 from three). Magee is crazy. Seems like half of his shots he takes with a man right in his face. Must have made 3-4 of those against UNC in 2018.

Reactions: Global Havok
JJ probably. But unfortunately, he went below average come tourney time.

Upon further review, it does look like Fletcher Magee struggles mightily against elite competition. In 22 games against Power-6 schools, he is 59 for 193 from 3 (30.6%). The poll doesn't allow me to edit names. But I think Jon Diebler would be a better option. Or Brady Heslip.

Just gotta point out, in their last years in college, Steph only shot 39% from three. JJ shot 42%, and also shot better from two, against MUCH much better competition. Curry beat JJ out by 1% on free throws.

Reactions: Quavarius
I felt like Doron Lamb was going to make everything he put up. Really thought he'd be a good role player in the NBA. Not claiming he's the best, just enjoyed watching him shoot.

Lamb- 47.5% on 300 3fga
Curry- 41% on 1k 3fga
Jimmer- 39% on 750 3fga
Jenkins- 43% on 700 3fga
Kapono- 45% on 750 3fga
Korver- 45% on 800 3fga
Lofton- 42% on 1k 3fga
Novak- 46% on 750 3fga
Reddick- 40% on 1.1k 3fga

Everbody played 3 or 4 years. Lamb only played 2. He wasnt on pace to shoot as many as the others and can't be certain his averages would've held. But his jumper was smooth.

I felt like Doron Lamb was going to make everything he put up. Really thought he'd be a good role player in the NBA. Not claiming he's the best, just enjoyed watching him shoot.

Lamb- 47.5% on 300 3fga
Curry- 41% on 1k 3fga
Jimmer- 39% on 750 3fga
Jenkins- 43% on 700 3fga
Kapono- 45% on 750 3fga
Korver- 45% on 800 3fga
Lofton- 42% on 1k 3fga
Novak- 46% on 750 3fga

Everbody played 3 or 4 years. Lamb only played 2. He wasnt on pace to shoot as many as the others and can't be certain his averages would've held. But his jumper was smooth.

^ He could light it up, no question. Career True Shooting Percentage of .627 which would be right up there with some the guys mentioned in this thread:

Kyle Korver, .6669
Steve Novak, .6595
John Jenkins, .6478
Salim Stoudamire, .6457
Fletcher Magee, .6380
Chris Lofton, .6266
Jon Diebler, .6224
Stephen Curry, .6198
JJ Redick, .6151
Jason Kapono, .6131

Interesting enough Curry and Redick are actually near the bottom of this list. Granted, they were frequently double-teamed, so that inevitably lowered their numbers. It's open for debate. I voted for Novak. He's 2nd on the the TS%. But he's first in 3-pt percentage and FT%. His TS% was hurt by average shooting inside the arc.

Lamb- 47.5% on 300 3fga
Curry- 41% on 1k 3fga
Jimmer- 39% on 750 3fga
Jenkins- 43% on 700 3fga
Kapono- 45% on 750 3fga
Korver- 45% on 800 3fga
Lofton- 42% on 1k 3fga
Novak- 46% on 750 3fga

Man, I did not remember him shooting so well. That's fantastic.

I was so excited when I saw this thread, hoped it was a poll, ...
but no McBuckets?!

Doug McDermott was fun.

how can you have a pure shooting poll and not include Kevin Durant?

It's college basketball, not pros. KD only played 1 year - and 40% 3-pt shooting is great, but it's not top 10. Especially considering he barely had over 200 attempts. In fairness, I think Fletcher Magee and Jimmer might not crack the top 10. But, I can't edit the names at this point.

I was so excited when I saw this thread, hoped it was a poll, ...
but no McBuckets?!

Doug McDermott was fun.

Eh. In hindsight, he probably deserves a spot here. Surprisingly McDermott wasn't a truly high volume 3-point shooter like other names on this list. He had < 600 career 3-pot attempts, which is fewer than anyone else on this list. DM is a lights-out shooter, no question. I can understand and appreciate wanting him in the top 10. No arguments with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT