ADVERTISEMENT

Bellarmine University Knights joining D1 Atlantic Sun

bkingUK

Sep 23, 2007
Sleeping giant!

BUKnights.gif

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawfor...cle_de0303a6-90f8-11e9-8b20-372ae2c7e255.html

It'll be interesting to see their progress. Obviously, they've done very well in DII. Best of luck to them.

I wonder what the smallest undergrad enrollment in D1 basketball is, because Bellarmine has to be close: ~2,500

I wonder what the smallest undergrad enrollment in D1 basketball is, because Bellarmine has to be close: ~2,500

Probably will be the smallest. Bellarmine owns a lot of land around their campus, mostly leased to medical buildings. Had a 9 hole par 3 on campus at one point. There have been grumbling a about adding a football program as long they’ve been talking about D1. A lot of potential there.

Probably will be the smallest. Bellarmine owns a lot of land around their campus, mostly leased to medical buildings. Had a 9 hole par 3 on campus at one point. There have been grumbling a about adding a football program as long they’ve been talking about D1. A lot of potential there.

It’s pretty small but I think there are plenty that are smaller. I believe Wofford and Davidson are. I agree that there’s some potential there.

Are there any other schools making the leap to D1? Does that make 354 in total?

Augustana University in South Dakota has announced they will go D1 in 2021. Their enrollment is about 1900. They have had success in D2, won national championships in basketball, baseball and softball all in the past 2 years. Haven’t been invited to join a league yet. It is anticipated that they will join the Summit League.

As of last fall, Wofford had a student enrollment of 1,672. Glad I didn't go there; way too small. They tried recruiting me out of high school (xc/track). I'd be surprised if anyone is smaller than them.

Reactions: bkingUK
ADVERTISEMENT