ADVERTISEMENT

Belein likely leaving the Cavs

LetsGoHawks12

Oct 6, 2017
With a return to college likely I wonder if we see a surprise firing or 2 this offseason by someone who didn’t necessarily have a terrible year but thinks they have a legit shot to hire him

Beilein would be an excellent first assistant on an NBA team. Great hoops mind that is not in charge of all the egos an NBA team has. (and make no mistake, the players run the NBA) As a head coach on the pro level....I never saw him as the right fit for that. College is his best place to be a head coach IMO.

Reactions: speedfrk
I hope he doesn't come to the ACC. I know he's old and he probably doesn't want to rebuild a program but he'd be an excellent hire for a place like Wake Forest or Boston College. Wake Forest's buyout of Danny Manning is insane though and I'm not sure BC is ready to get rid of Jim Christian since he seems to have them relatively competitive in a down ACC.

Beilein would be an excellent first assistant on an NBA team. Great hoops mind that is not in charge of all the egos an NBA team has. (and make no mistake, the players run the NBA) As a head coach on the pro level....I never saw him as the right fit for that. College is his best place to be a head coach IMO.

Fully agree. He should have his pick of college jobs though

agreed...I’m just saying the dude is 67 and I think feeling a bit washed. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him hang it up either
Yeah, he needs to just retire. Sounds like his tenure at Cleveland has really stressed him out. No need to keel over just because of basketball.

Reactions: dtgold88
Beilein isn’t going out like this, he will be back and it won’t be for a rebuild. If he went a few years then maybe he would struggle to find a suitor but with only a 1 year reprieve from college ball a notable P5 program with football money will grab him and give him a chance to win quickly. He will go 3-5 years at wherever he lands.

Reactions: dtgold88
xEA5r.gif

Pretty sure he has never been anything but a HC so doubt he was gonna go the assistant route.

I liked it and figured a chance worth taking. Had a succession plan in place with Bickerstaff who they probably hoped would take over in 4-5 years, but could move him in sooner (and did) if things did not work out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT