ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein interviews for Pistons

I really hope this happens. A great coach that I’d love to be on my favorite pro team, but hate on my least favorite college team.

I think they should hire either him or Dwayne Casey

Reactions: QualityDairy4Life
In all honesty, this was probably just to get pay leverage on UM. I doubt he will actually take the job.

Reactions: lkc1234
In all honesty, this was probably just to get pay leverage on UM. I doubt he will actually take the job.

To me it being reported he's interested like Izzo means leverage, actually going to an interview seems a bit more serious. I still doubt it but when Woj tweets it, it means a bit more.

Casey practically fell in their lap. Hard to believe they would take a CBB coach over him, but worse mistakes have happened.

I don't think he is the type of guy who would interview for leverage and even if he were he doesn't need to. Warde Manuel has made it clear that he hopes to extend to re do Beiliens contract and pay him a lot more money.

Wishful thinking? I mean, he did interview for the job. If leverage is his motive, why not "leak" his interest? By interviewing it shows his interest.
I agree. I was referring to those hoping it is just for leverage.

I agree. I was referring to those hoping it is just for leverage.

Chris Balas said:

"We will have an article soon, but Beilein we firmly expect will be in Ann Arbor for the foreseeable future."

He's the most in-tuned Michigan mod so I'll start to worry when he does.

Michigan must be really playing hard ball to push Beilein to have discussions with the Pistons two weeks ago and then go have a formal interview today.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Chris Balas said:

"We will have an article soon, but Beilein we firmly expect will be in Ann Arbor for the foreseeable future."

He's the most in-tuned Michigan mod so I'll start to worry when he does.
I mean it's only an hour commute to Detroit, so I agree.

Reactions: JRMSU
Michigan must be really playing hard ball to push Beilein to have discussions with the Pistons two weeks ago and then go have a formal interview today.

Yeah, stupid of them. The extension should have been signed and in the rear view mirror already.

Reactions: klize17
Yeah, stupid of them. The extension should have been signed and in the rear view mirror already.

I should know better as this happens every single year, but a formal interview and being reported by Woj is what makes me pause.

0D9Mv.gif

Reactions: kdavid45
No way that happens but it would be hilarious if that alcoholic Gores poaches probably the best coach in UM football/basketball history.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if UM could find a younger coach to grow with. Beilein is gonna be 66 this upcoming season.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if UM could find a younger coach to grow with. Beilein is gonna be 66 this upcoming season.
But who’s out there? Is Lavall Jordan established enough? I can see a good fit there. What would the list look like?

But who’s out there? Is Lavall Jordan established enough? I can see a good fit there. What would the list look like?
Good question. It will be a bit of a roll of the dice. But the transition is inevitable in the next 5 years imo , whether he takes the Pistons job or stays.

Good article on The Athletic about this. Liked this snippet:

By comparison, the average pay for a first-year NBA coach is roughly between $3 million and $5 million a season.

In other words, Beilein does not need an NBA job offer to garner a pay raise that would be the equivalent of an NBA salary.

“He’s not trying to create leverage,” said one source with knowledge of Beilein’s dealings with the Pistons. “That has nothing to do with any of this.”

I like the signing for the Pistons. Still think he is on Stevens' level...but would certainly take Stevens based on age between the 2. says a lot for the guy to get another opportunity so quickly at age 61.

ADVERTISEMENT