ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor vs WVU

Wow had no idea Baylor has FIVE guys that shoot above 40% from 3. That is insane.

Reactions: jhmossy
Scott Drew doing well in his recent two regular seasons, let’s see if he can succeed in the March madness where it matters.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
Looks like Baylor has quickly gotten over the COVID rust. What a phenomenal game! For me, it was right up there with the Michigan-Ohio State and the Georgetown-St.John's games, as far as being the most entertaining. Loved the back-and-forth down the closing minutes of crunch time!

Reactions: Big ol arms
Thankfully the Big XII played last night..

Also thankful we didn't have to watch that atrocity of a B1g battle beforehand.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Thankfully the Big XII played last night..

Also thankful we didn't have to watch that atrocity of a B1g battle beforeh

I still watch the Big Ten semi-faithfully. It's just crazy how many blowouts there have been this season in that conference. Seems like most every Big XII game comes down to the wire.

Looks like Baylor has quickly gotten over the COVID rust. What a phenomenal game! For me, it was right up there with the Michigan-Ohio State and the Georgetown-St.John's games, as far as being the most entertaining. Loved the back-and-forth down the closing minutes of crunch time!

Ha....I knew that if KU managed to beat Baylor, the narrative would be that Baylor wasn’t the same.

Couple days later...voila! They’re back!

Ha....I knew that if KU managed to beat Baylor, the narrative would be that Baylor wasn’t the same.

Couple days later...voila! They’re back!

You don't think COVID rust is a real thing? Sometimes teams manage okay, such as Michigan. Baylor went three weeks without a game. They looked awful. Perhaps KU was the biggest reason for their struggles. But, you see similar results in a normal season after a team has taken two weeks off for final exams and Christmas break. It certainly looked like Louisville wasn't as sharp when they played UNC recently.

it took a little bit but vegas/gamblers caught on to the covid hangover pretty quickly. it was apparent in the lines

Reactions: duckboy33
You don't think COVID rust is a real thing? Sometimes teams manage okay, such as Michigan. Baylor went three weeks without a game. They looked awful. Perhaps KU was the biggest reason for their struggles. But, you see similar results in a normal season after a team has taken two weeks off for final exams and Christmas break. It certainly looked like Louisville wasn't as sharp when they played UNC recently.

Rust can obviously be a real problem after any long break. But I don't get the Louisville and other comparisons. It's like everyone forgot that they already played a game and had been practicing for a week before going into Lawrence.

They certainly looked rusty as hell to start the game vs Iowa St, but outscored them 62-40 to close out the game. I don't think a lot of people realize that Iowa St played them closely the first time too. They were tied with several minutes left. It can't just be assumed that they would have rolled them by 30 without the break.

I'm not saying that rust wasn't a minor factor in Lawrence, but I think it's silly to chalk it up to rust when they lose, and then declare that they've shaken off the rust a few days later because they won. WV's not a great defensive team. They should be expected to score more points on them.

The reason Baylor didn't look like Baylor vs KU is that Butler's shots weren't dropping. And the biggest reason for that was that Self put Garrett on him practically the entire game. The first time, he didn't guard him much and Butler erupted for 30 and shot 70%. Garrett was DPOY for a reason.

It's also worth considering that KU is 12-1 at home and Self is 10-1 vs top 5 teams at home.

This isn't a vintage KU team, but they're coming together at the right time and are playing great defense lately. It's not just Baylor that hasn't shot well against them. They've held teams to something like 20% from outside in recent weeks.

I felt Baylor/KU game had to do with Baylor having some rust and not the normal confidence they had shown. Combined with how much more KU wanted the game as well as the game plan by KU to deny the ball from Butler (who has been a Jayhawk killer and most of Baylor’s offense the last few years against KU) and keep Garrett on him instead of switching everything and go over screens instead of under. 2nd half hit and all those things came into play and KU pulled away. You could just see Baylor’s confidence and interest wane in the final 10 minutes of that game.

For Baylor losing to KU was probably a good thing for them as they came out far more focused against WVU but also helped that WVU didn’t have a game plan to deny/stop Jared Butler and instead let him get go 1v1. If you’re going to stop Baylor you have to first focus on stopping Butler. He’s their catalyst and playmaker. Teague and Mitchell have their moments offensively but Butler is the one that drives them and they all feed off his play.

yep would have been a few more in a regular situation. the game looked especially different because ku plays great defense though

You're saying they would have been a 7 or 8 point favorite in AFH otherwise? That's insane. They were an 8 point favorite in Waco when KU was clearly a lesser team.

You're saying they would have been a 7 or 8 point favorite in AFH otherwise? That's insane. They were an 8 point favorite in Waco when KU was clearly a lesser team.
how about 6? that’s what KP and torvik had, sagarin was a little higher but for some of the predictors, some less. so rather than a few i should have said a couple. i’ve noticed similar 2-3 points difference after other covid teams come back from a layoff

how about 6? that’s what KP and torvik had, sagarin was a little higher but for some of the predictors, some less. so rather than a few i should have said a couple. i’ve noticed similar 2-3 points difference after other covid teams come back from a layoff

They were 5.5 point dogs. Pretty damn high already for a KU team that's played much better and is 12-1 at home. Again, putting it a couple points higher would make it basically the same as the spread in Waco and that would make no sense.

I don't think their break had any impact on the spread.

They were 5.5 point dogs. Pretty damn high already for a KU team that's played much better and is 12-1 at home. Again, putting it a couple points higher would make it basically the same as the spread in Waco and that would make no sense.

I don't think their break had any impact on the spread.

my little mom and pop place was 3.5 and 4 at close so i had different information i guess. then at 5.5/6 it’s in line with expectations and there’s nothing to talk about

Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT