ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor has won 23 straight games

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
This team that just broke KU's win streak in the Big 12 consists of a bunch of 4 star recruits, a transfer from UNC Asheville, a transfer from Hutchinson Community College, a transfer from D3 school Carleton and is coached by freaking Scott Drew.

What in the world is going on?? These group of players must have the greatest chemistry ever witnessed on a college basketball team because I can't think of a single parallel to this in a Power 5 conference where you have a team that's close to undefeated with no 1st team All-Americans or future NBA 1st Round picks.

Its truly incredible.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
yeah, do not believe the lazy narrative that this is a down year and there are no great teams...Baylor is dominant...national commentators got vexed when the #1 team lost so often early in the season, 3 of the stable top 4 are not traditional powers and shock/gasp there are not a slew of diaper dandies to focus on...

Should be an interesting game on Saturday because KU looks like they are flirting with being a dominant team as well...at least according to the advanced metrics...

Kansas is going to beat them Saturday
Hmm maybe but its going to take KU playing a great game and not just because Baylor just no shows because this team simply doesn't do that at home or on the road. If its a blowout, it would be in Baylor's direction imo.

As much fun as it is to make fun of Drew, he's a solid coach.

The interesting thing about this team is that they've played almost exclusively man defense.

Reactions: wesr
One thing is for sure, if Baylor clips us again it will 100% feel like we suck.....and I think it will negatively impact our confidence moving forward moreso than any game this year.

If KU takes care of the ball this time, they'll at least have a shot to win it in the end. There were a lot of unforced turnovers last time that led to easy baskets.

Another factor is that KU has since abandoned the two big lineup. That lineup was terrible vs Baylor, but whenever they went small, they matched up well.

Also, KU was continually torched by a couple sets. I'd assume that Self will be ready for those this time.

Reactions: toonces11
I'm expecting a good game. This is Kansas' conference, we're all just living in it. We finally got them at the Phog, and despite being undefeated in conference play we're just the 1 game up. A big key will be Baylor taking care of the ball. We have 4 really good guards and only had 5 turnovers or something like that at Kansas. If we turn it over and let Kansas get in transition, then we'll be in trouble.

We've been able to rely on our defense when our offense is stagnant or switched off, but we'll need a strong 2-way effort to win. Look forward to a good game.

This team that just broke KU's win streak in the Big 12 consists of a bunch of 4 star recruits, a transfer from UNC Asheville, a transfer from Hutchinson Community College, a transfer from D3 school Carleton and is coached by freaking Scott Drew.

What in the world is going on?? These group of players must have the greatest chemistry ever witnessed on a college basketball team because I can't think of a single parallel to this in a Power 5 conference where you have a team that's close to undefeated with no 1st team All-Americans or future NBA 1st Round picks.

Its truly incredible.
A bunch of 4 star recruits that have how much experience? A junior/senior who was a 4 star recruit is as good or better at college basketball (most of the time) than a 5 star freshman.

Reactions: speedfrk
A bunch of 4 star recruits that have how much experience? A junior/senior who was a 4 star recruit is as good or better at college basketball (most of the time) than a 5 star freshman.

Baylor certainly doesn't have a lot of highly-rated prospects (out of high school), but that really doesn't mean much.

There are about 30 players in each class that everyone wants, and about 5-10 that they REALLY want, and everyone else is basically jumbled together.

Even if recruiting ranking were anywhere close to an exact science, there's no predicting how players will develop.

I'm expecting a good game. This is Kansas' conference, we're all just living in it. We finally got them at the Phog, and despite being undefeated in conference play we're just the 1 game up. A big key will be Baylor taking care of the ball. We have 4 really good guards and only had 5 turnovers or something like that at Kansas. If we turn it over and let Kansas get in transition, then we'll be in trouble.

We've been able to rely on our defense when our offense is stagnant or switched off, but we'll need a strong 2-way effort to win. Look forward to a good game.
Or get hot and hit guarded shots like you did last time. That would work too. Could you please not do that again?

In all seriousness, you guys picked the perfect day to shoot the ball well, because if you shot in Lawrence like you have against other opponents, KU would have won in Lawrence. I think KU and Baylor are pretty evenly matched, but you stole one on us, so unless KU can get in a similar zone as you guys did hitting tough shots, I think the league is Baylor’s to win.

I think people don’t realize this. With players staying in college for ever shorter amounts of time, the age of truly dominant teams is gone. You can put a team of borderline top 100 recruits together and if you get them all to stay 3 or 4 years, you can have just as much a chance to win it all as those who get elite players but they only stay a year or two.

Wake me when they reach 38.

cat-yawning.gif

Imagine a league dominated by Turgy and Penn St thinking they’re good...

This game Saturday is monster. Baylor really is better than the sum of their parts. But in this one I think KU wins.

People overlook the fact that since switching to 4 out around Dok they haven’t lost or really been challenged. And beyond that, they haven’t been whole in any game they’ve lost.

Duke - a starter in Moss didn’t play
Villanova - Garrett the best defender in the country third scorer got hurt and didn’t play half the game
Baylor - Dotson goes out with hip pointer and doesn’t return until under 8 in 2nd half.

This game Saturday is monster. Baylor really is better than the sum of their parts. But in this one I think KU wins.

People overlook the fact that since switching to 4 out around Dok they haven’t lost or really been challenged. And beyond that, they haven’t been whole in any game they’ve lost.

Duke - a starter in Moss didn’t play
Villanova - Garrett the best defender in the country third scorer got hurt and didn’t play half the game
Baylor - Dotson goes out with hip pointer and doesn’t return until under 8 in 2nd half.
Huge game for sure. Baylor wins and it almost guarantees them the outright Big 12 title. Kansas wins and I can see them splitting the title, at worst. Will Kansas go from winning 47625 titles in a row to possibly *gasp* losing 2 in a row? Bigger picture though, it will most likely lock in a #1 seed for one of them.

Or get hot and hit guarded shots like you did last time. That would work too. Could you please not do that again?

In all seriousness, you guys picked the perfect day to shoot the ball well, because if you shot in Lawrence like you have against other opponents, KU would have won in Lawrence. I think KU and Baylor are pretty evenly matched, but you stole one on us, so unless KU can get in a similar zone as you guys did hitting tough shots, I think the league is Baylor’s to win.
Fair assessment of the first game. Butler in particular was hot the first game, but maybe he just has a thing for Allen Fieldhouse because he did it last year there too.

If Teague is out (he’s missed the last 2) that’ll hurt us. He’s one of our best shooters once we drive and dish. I don’t think we’ll attack the paint looking to shoot unless you find foul trouble, instead looking for the open man. Something about the way this team plays is how they are unselfish and look for the best shot, not necessarily the first shot.

You’re right though, we’ll have to shoot very well again to win. We’ll also have to grind it out defensively, luckily we have lots of guys that can guard and Vital can switch on any pick and roll.

This felt like Kansas year for the natty earlier in the year. I would love for Baylor to work that ass again

This felt like Kansas year for the natty earlier in the year. I would love for Baylor to work that ass again

Still think they are the favorites. Baylor is really good but they don't have the star power other teams have like Kansas. Self for all his choke jobs still is one of the best coaches out there.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Still think they are the favorites. Baylor is really good but they don't have the star power other teams have like Kansas. Self for all his choke jobs still is one of the best coaches out there.
Current odds have Baylor, Kansas, and Gonzaga about the same with Duke right there and everyone else at least double digit odds.

We have put together a solid stretch of wins, both home and away.....but getting this win on the road saturday would say more about us than a loss for baylor. We haven't had guys consistently step up and you need everybody clicking in the tourney. Gotta show we can win in marquee games.

Butler’s a star.

It’s been several years since a choke job though. Not sure if that means he’s over the hump or we’re just overdue for one. We’re also overdue though for things to go our way. Not sure how it will play out.

This team reminds me of the 2012 KU team. Not great offensively and we lack shooters, but we play smothering defense and force a lot of turnovers and block a lot of shots.

This year though there’s no 2012 Kentucky though. But this could also be the year that some middling program decides to hit several last second guarded shots.

Reminds me of the Florida team of 3-4 stars that stayed around and won 2 NC’s. Who knew they had 4 future NBA’ers on that team. Won’t get into how BD kept them around lol.

Winner is your #1 overall seed in the tournament.

Wish this game wasn't at 11am CT though, at least it's not on ESPN+
For real. I can't even remember the last time Kansas played an evening game on a Saturday. I feel like this is the game of the year in college basketball (so far) and should be shown in the evening.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
He is one of the best coaches out there. I’ll be the first to tell you that Self needs to get to more FF’s. He doesn’t choke as much as you think. He just doesn’t have a good record in the elite 8 and has been to a lot of elite 8’s. That one game can be a difference.

I’ll also point out Roy Williams and Coach K won most of their (all of Roy’s) at a older age than Bill Self is now. Self is just entering the prime of the his coaching career compared to them.

Its truly incredible.
They are cheating. Deal with it.

This Baylor team just plays ball with those guards. Butler went to same high school as tweety carter. Tough as nails mentality from the ghetto of Nola.

They’re legit.

But so are we.

Both should be In Final four

Reactions: KUhawks34
ADVERTISEMENT