Basketball programs by tiers

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
Thoughts???

EarP_HeWsAE4s54

Reactions: shun1 and cooljeff
What the logo next to Texas Tech? Looks like DePaul, but there's no way we're that high.

Not great but still have a runner up and another final four in that time period. Past 20 years been pretty bleak, so I get it for sure.

Shit, I'd trade my right nut for a F4 and a runner up finish in my lifetime, let alone 20 years :)

Reactions: klize17
Immediate reaction is that GTown and Arkansas are too high, Zaga too low.

At some point, somewhat recent history needs to be weighted heavier.

that was my first reaction as well...also I know they had some good history but K state feels more like a 4th tier vs a 3rd tier...pretty good list...it always comes down to what you want to give the most weight to

lol at IU being on the same tier as Virginia, Syracuse, Ohio State, Arkansas ect... 5 to 1 in championships apparently doesn’t mean anything.

Last edited:
lol at IU not being a blue blood while having more titles than Kansas and the same amount as Duke.

Also, lol at them being on the same tier as Virginia, Syracuse, Ohio State, Arkansas ect... 5 to 1 in championships apparently doesn’t mean anything.
They’re probably still a blueblood but you guys go like 18-14 every season so the argument could be made that Indiana is barely even a 3rd tier program today. Their fall is even worse than Notre Dame’s in football. What the hell happened to the sports in your state?

Reactions: RunninRichie
They’re probably still a blueblood but you guys go like 18-14 every season so the argument could be made that Indiana is barely even a 3rd tier program today. Their fall is even worse than Notre Dame’s in football. What the hell happened to the sports in your state?
Just a bad stretch but “all time” they shouldn’t be on the same tier with a bunch of teams with 1-2 titles. They have 5 titles in 4 different decades.

I agree that they need to start winning again soon to stay on that tier but a bad stretch over the past 20 years still has a national title game appearance and 3 conference titles.

Just a bad stretch but all time they shouldn’t be on the same tier with a bunch of teams with 1-2 titles. They have 5 titles in 4 different decades.

I agree that they need to start winning again soon to stay on that tier but a baD stretch over the past 20 years still has a title game appearance and 3 conference titles.
Your only hope is the NCAA hammering KU to the point that they have to fire Bill Self which would make him available for Indiana to hire.

that was my first reaction as well...also I know they had some good history but K state feels more like a 4th tier vs a 3rd tier...pretty good list...it always comes down to what you want to give the most weight to

K-State is probably above several of those tier 3 programs historically. They've been to 13 elite eights and 4 final fours.

Reactions: KisteK
Yeah. Kinda why I think Carolina and UK deserve their own tier.

Cheating or not with Wooden, still think UCLA belongs in that top tier with UK/UNC (who I think are 1/2 all time) if you're making a separate one. Unlike Indiana, they haven't been completely dogshit the last 3 decades. Won a title in the 90's. Three final fours last decade.

Cheating or not with Wooden, still think UCLA belongs in that top tier with UK/UNC (who I think are 1/2 all time) if you're making a separate one. Unlike Indiana, they haven't been completely dogshit the last 3 decades. Won a title in the 90's. Three final fours last decade.

I tend to agree. UCLA is in the top tier. Those three.

You would have an argument if Iowa had gone to b2b FF's this past season and next.
Iowa has been to 3 FF's in my lifetime and hold the all time series over Wisconsin.
Wisconsin has no business being a tier 3 team. not if its a all time thing.
just like Houston they had a nice run a long time ago.

If it’s all time, then the tiers 2-4 are all over the place. How are Arkansas, UF, Cincy, and Georgetown above a program like NC State?

How is Seton Hall below Penn and Princeton? How is Indiana equal to UVA or Arkansas or Arizona?

There are just some real head scratchers.

ADVERTISEMENT