ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pet Peeves

Hahahaha, all good answers, especially the first one. I have noticed this a lot lately, way too many late whistles for this exact reason and it's total bullshit. I bet @IUfanBorden does that all the time. Laughing On the flip side, how many times do we also see a premature whistle from an official simply anticipating contact that never happens, yet the whistle was already blown?
A late whistle doesn't always mean said official is waiting to see if shot goes in. Sometimes the late whistle is due to the call originally not being in his primary. So he gives the primary official dibs, so to speak. If primary doesn't call a foul, or is unable to see, then as secondary, you make the call if you feel there was a foul. Seems like official is waiting to see if shot goes in, but in reality, he's just following officiating protocol.

Note: Not saying some do not wait to see if shot goes in...I am sure some do.

As for me? Nope. Never have. NOW...I have had instances where contact is minimal, something I would pass on, BUT then said player loses control, steps OOB, etc, etc...due to the contact. So I do go ahead and get the foul. i.e. late whistle. Simply tell the coach, I would have passed on the contact,but it......caused player to lose the ball, go OOB, etc, etc.

Reactions: jhmossy
Commentators bitching about the officiating---constant. And doing so w/o any idea what the rule is, or how/when to apply said rule.

Yeah, you Jay Bilas.

Reactions: UL_1986 and jhmossy
A late whistle doesn't always mean said official is waiting to see if shot goes in. Sometimes the late whistle is due to the call originally not being in his primary. So he gives the primary official dibs, so to speak. If primary doesn't call a foul, or is unable to see, then as secondary, you make the call if you feel there was a foul. Seems like official is waiting to see if shot goes in, but in reality, he's just following officiating protocol.

Note: Not saying some do not wait to see if shot goes in...I am sure some do.

As for me? Nope. Never have. NOW...I have had instances where contact is minimal, something I would pass on, BUT then said player loses control, steps OOB, etc, etc...due to the contact. So I do go ahead and get the foul. i.e. late whistle. Simply tell the coach, I would have passed on the contact,but it......caused player to lose the ball, go OOB, etc, etc.
I'm just talking about plays where the official is right in front of the action. Shot goes up and the whistle isn't blown until the shot comes off the rim. It has been happening a lot.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I'm just talking about plays where the official is right in front of the action. Shot goes up and the whistle isn't blown until the shot comes off the rim. It has been happening a lot.
This is a perfect example of not understanding PCA's; Primary Coverage Area. Not being a dick, here. But just b/c it happens "right in front the official", doesn't always mean its his call, initially. For example---I'm the lead official(under the goal)...Player A drives to the basket, from the perimeter. The trail official has said player ALL THE WAY to the goal. I have the pass---It's called a crash and burn scenario. So, there is NO pass, dribbler now goes up, but a the last second, trail official is straightlined, and loses sight of the dribbler. He cannot see contact...but I do. I wait to see if he has anything---split second---I don't hear his whistle, but I have a foul. So I then call it.

Seems late. But its not. Just following protocol.

Reactions: jhmossy
Hard to doubt the man who is the best in the business and knows more about the sport than any of us could possibly ever dream to.
I have zero doubt that Jay Bilas is highly knowledgeable about the game of basketball. I do however doubt he's highly knowledgeable on how to officiate a CBB game. I've done so for a long, long time. But I couldn't come close to doing Bilas' job. Just b/c he knows the game, doesn't mean he knows the rules, how to call a game, when to apply a rule, etc, etc...MOF, I know he doesn't. About 95% of the time, when it comes to a rule interpretation, he is dead wrong. As far as his opinion,on judgement calls, thats all it is---an opinion. And sometimes, he is right. But when it comes to the in's and outs? Not even close.

I have zero doubt that Jay Bilas is highly knowledgeable about the game of basketball. I do however doubt he's highly knowledgeable on how to officiate a CBB game. I've done so for a long, long time. But I couldn't come close to doing Bilas' job. Just b/c he knows the game, doesn't mean he knows the rules, how to call a game, when to apply a rule, etc, etc...MOF, I know he doesn't. About 95% of the time, when it comes to a rule interpretation, he is dead wrong. As far as his opinion,on judgement calls, thats all it is---an opinion. And sometimes, he is right. But when it comes to the in's and outs? Not even close.
95% of the time he's wrong about interpretations? I'm not doubting you but show me a couple of times he was. I'm sure somebody tweeted them.

And what do you mean by "when to apply a rule"? Are there certain points where you apply them and certain times when you don't?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

I doubt the bolded part.

Jay is a biased dude. He has an agenda.

This is a perfect example of not understanding PCA's; Primary Coverage Area. Not being a dick, here. But just b/c it happens "right in front the official", doesn't always mean its his call, initially. For example---I'm the lead official(under the goal)...Player A drives to the basket, from the perimeter. The trail official has said player ALL THE WAY to the goal. I have the pass---It's called a crash and burn scenario. So, there is NO pass, dribbler now goes up, but a the last second, trail official is straightlined, and loses sight of the dribbler. He cannot see contact...but I do. I wait to see if he has anything---split second---I don't hear his whistle, but I have a foul. So I then call it.

Seems late. But its not. Just following protocol.
OK, well whomever the official may be. Say they all have an unobstructed view, as in a breakaway one-on-one. It is happening a lot.

I doubt the bolded part.

Jay is a biased dude. He has an agenda.
What is his agenda? And why do you doubt he understands the game of basketball?

By all accounts he is a brilliant mind and he's able to articulate what he understands and sees very well. He also went to Duke and played under Coach K. He's been around the sport for most of his life so why would you doubt his knowledge?

OK, well whomever the official may be. Say they all have an unobstructed view, as in a breakaway one-on-one. It is happening a lot.
Keep changing the scenario---Eventually you'll match it up...LaughingWinking

95% of the time he's wrong about interpretations? I'm not doubting you but show me a couple of times he was. I'm sure somebody tweeted them.

And what do you mean by "when to apply a rule"? Are there certain points where you apply them and certain times when you don't?
Yes...

Over and back: Bilas, along with many others, get this wrong. Team A is in control....ball gets knocked loose....in the scrum, the ball is batted/knocked off of the offense, and goes into the b/c, Offense was last to touch. Offense then is the first to touch the ball, in the b/c.Its over and back. Last to touch/first to touch APPLIES here. Thus the rule of over and back is applied.

Another rule pertaining to over and back that Bilas ****ed up. Team A is throwing the ball in. Player A makes a bad pass, Player B fumbles the pass, no control, and it goes into the b/c. He then goes an gets it. Bilas was yelling---"How do they miss that"? Miss what Jay? During a throw in, the ball has no f/c, or b/c status. Until possession is gathered. So in this instance, the rule of over and back, is NOT applied.

95% of the time may be a tad much....Hyperbole so to speak. But more often than not---He is wrong.

Reactions: dtgold88
No, you'd have to see the plays I'm talking about. They're painfully obvious and there is definitely no defending the referees.
I'm not defending anything. Just educating. I know what you are talking about. I have seen it happen. In those instances, it does seem as if they are waiting to see if shot goes. I dunno.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I'm not defending anything. Just educating. I know what you are talking about. I have seen it happen. In those instances, it does seem as if they are waiting to see if shot goes. I dunno.
Yeah, I know they have "assigned" areas to look at, specific things to look for, etc. which is why I don't give them too much grief about every little thing. I know it's a tough job, especially at game speed.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yeah, I know they have "assigned" areas to look at, specific things to look for, etc. which is why I don't give them too much grief about every little thing. I know it's a tough job, especially at game speed.
It is tough. But still----it needs to get better. Needs some tweaking.

When people blame or credit defense for nearly anything. Missed 3, great D. Made 3, bad D for instance.

He's probably forgot more about the game than most here know.
Agree...but doesn't mean he can't do something that irritates someone.

different sport, but there is a phrase in football I could live without and I'm certain many who know a lot about the game use it.

"Throw his man open"? How about he was accurate or made the throw into a tight window, like we had said the first 35-40 years I was a fan?

ADVERTISEMENT