Baseball Testing an Idea

Discussion in 'College Baseball Clubhouse' started by basement bias, Feb 11, 2017.

1. basement bias

basement bias Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Heard on the radio that baseball will test an idea for rookie ball. The idea is to start extra innings with a runner on second with 0 outs. Really dumb idea if you ask me. If you want to speed up the game then limit the number of times calling time by batter and pitcher. Limit the amount of throw overs. Shorten the time between pitching changes and etc.

2. speedfrk

speedfrk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree. If you're gonna speed up extra innings, eliminate mound visits unless there is a pitching change.

Either way, there should be a 12-15 second clock between pitches. If batter isn't ready it's a strike. If pother fails to deliver it's a ball.

3. basement bias

basement bias Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't they have a clock for that now? I know some timing mechanism was put in over the past couple of years. I'd be good with a 25 second clock like football and hoops.

4. DE-Sussex

DE-Sussex Member
    Expand Collapse

25 seconds is painfully long between pitches. At that point the infielders should call time, convene at the mound and tell the pitcher if you want us to make a play how about speeding it up.

15 seconds is plenty.

The tiebreaker rule that they are using in the minors has been used for years in travel tournaments, so it's no new surprise to any of the US players.

An extra inning game is long for a reason and exciting. I'm not in favor of implementing that rule change.

If they want to speed up the game, they need to look no further than a Yankees -Red Sox game. Every time they play it's 3.5-4 hours.

My suggestions. 1- pitch clock 15 seconds, 2- expand the strike zone shoulders to knees, not this make the pitcher throw it in a shoebox of a strikezone , 3- allow pitchers to take signs off the rubber but not quick pitch the batter, 4- require pitchers to throw to at least 2 batters instead of 1 (cutting down number of pitching changes), 5- keep batters in the box with 1 foot instead of stepping out fully between every pitch, 6- stop adjusting your batting gloves every pitch. 7-Reduce time between innings to 90 seconds