ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball cards

I probably never made a good trade. I would try and hoard all of the Will Clark cards I could get and nobody was giving up their Griffey’s or Jackson’s (1988-1991). I do remember trying to go after people’s Rated Rookies for Darryl Strawberry and Vince Coleman type cards. I’m sure I got a few Frank Thomas cards in the deal but no doubt I ended up with more Todd Zeile’s.

Of course, just about all of these cards were Topps, Fleer, Score and Donruss. They’re basically worthless today but we had fun with them in the day.

Reactions: Jayhawkai
Best trade you ever made as a kid?
Traded my new Easton bat, for 2 Fleer Dwight Gooden Rookie cards.....Then sold them to a local dealer, for $300; Dwight was the dude then. Card today is worth about $90.

Reactions: bkingUK
I probably never made a good trade. I would try and hoard all of the Will Clark cards I could get and nobody was giving up their Griffey’s or Jackson’s (1988-1991). I do remember trying to go after people’s Rated Rookies for Darryl Strawberry and Vince Coleman type cards. I’m sure I got a few Frank Thomas cards in the deal but no doubt I ended up with more Todd Zeile’s.

Of course, just about all of these cards were Topps, Fleer, Score and Donruss. They’re basically worthless today but we had fun with them in the day.

Did the same thing with Andy Van Slyke. Ended up with like 80. Probably worth a grand total of 10 bucks now.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Boss card

mlb_bashbros_cr_400.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Pretty sure I remember my dad buying me the set of ‘91 Upper Deck for like $80 in 1991. Can now buy for $20.

Turns out that starting in 1989, Upper Deck began to overproduce cards causing inflation. Kids and traders were buying up the cards assuming price would increase. Upper Deck basically ****ed us all.

Baseball cards just aren't what they were back in my day. I had a shit ton. A great collection. But then there became too many cards. Lost their value. Topps was the shit when I was growing up...Then Fleer. IMO, I felt Fleer held value a lot longer. Upper Deck was a good card as well. Today, though? I mean, I don't see baseball cards in stores like I use to.

Pretty sure I remember my dad buying me the set of ‘91 Upper Deck for like $80 in 1991. Can now buy for $20.

Turns out that starting in 1989, Upper Deck began to overproduce cards causing inflation. Kids and traders were buying up the cards assuming price would increase. Upper Deck basically ****ed us all.
Yep. They made a bad ass card. And a ton of them. Kids loved'em.

Baseball cards just aren't what they were back in my day. I had a shit ton. A great collection. But then there became too many cards. Lost their value. Topps was the shit when I was growing up...Then Fleer. IMO, I felt Fleer held value a lot longer. Upper Deck was a good card as well. Today, though? I mean, I don't see baseball cards in stores like I use to.

Topp’s is the only remaining licensed MLB card maker apparently.

You basically have to go back to the 1960’s before average baseball cards have any real value. There’s pretty much nothing that came out in the 1980’s that’s of any value now. The 1990’s began doing those special additional sets where there would only be a limited number of Jeters or Arod’s.

Topp’s is the only remaining licensed MLB card maker apparently.
Memories, man...Oh the memories. I recall getting TWO McGwire rookie cards in back to back packs---Dude, I jumped up and down all the way home. I had no idea, nor did I care, what it was worth, or would be(worth). I just knew it was THE dude, at the time. Same with getting a Griffey card. Same with cards such as Vince Coleman....Strawberry...Bo, etc, etc...As a kid, you didn't care that these cards were wortth money. YOu just cared that you had one, and your friends did not....Laughing

You basically have to go back to the 1960’s before average baseball cards have any real value. There’s pretty much nothing that came out in the 1980’s that’s of any value now. The 1990’s began doing those special additional sets where there would only be a limited number of Jeters or Arod’s.

Someone needs to come in and buy millions of cards on the cheap and destroy.

Someone needs to come in and buy millions of cards on the cheap and destroy.
They can have what’s in my closet in grocery bags for $10.

Edit - My old closet at my mothers. They’re stuffed in a corner. She hasn’t gotten rid of them yet.

I collected all of Darryl strawberry’s cards. He was my dude even on the blow. I still have all of my cards. One time I traded a Rickey Henderson rookie to a friend for his whole collection of cards that included rookies of Steve young and Reggie white. Our parents made us reverse the trade but I kept the best ones. I know may of told this story before but when I was 12 I went to a flea market, and some white trash dude had about 40 1919 Cracker Jack cards he was selling at two bucks a piece because he couldn’t tell if they were real. I didn’t recognize any of the name like Ruth, or Jackson but I used the ten bucks I had to buy 5. They were worth hundreds of dollars and if I could go back to one moment, I would go back then and buy every damn one of those cards. It still makes me sick thinking about it.

If I were to ever get back into baseball cards I would buy all rookies, especially the old timers. I loved collecting cards from the 60s and older. The grading game has changed the dynamic completely, and I couldn’t care less about that because I’m not into it anymore

I have unopened or unwrapped boxes of O-Pe-Che cards with Frank Thomas rookie cards, have the unopened box of Upper Deck extended edition in their 1st year of producing Base Ball cards, supposedly has the Ken Griffey Jr card, won't open it has I already have Jr's rookie card by Upper Deck, almost have the complete set of Stadium clubs 1st edition.

the problem is today most of the cards sold from 1989 on, is that everybody as soon as they got a rookie card they put them into seperate plastic sheeves to protect them, the ones pre 70's kids took them then snitched moms clothes pins and put them on their bycycle spokes to sound cool, that made them scarce and Topps ussually put one card in with a piece of gum,

this limited the numbers available which makes them more valuable, maybe in 20+ years Trading cards will become valuable. then our grandchildren or grand children can use them or just play with them like some of us did in our youth

Those are advertised “for sale” prices. They are not prices that are realized. Don’t even begin to think large numbers of cards would sell at those prices even if one or two did.
Grading brings a whole new dimension to the game.
Meh...I haven't looked at Beckett in quite some time. I did see the card at a local shop, priced at 70$... Either way, rather its worth $90 bucks, or 75 cents---I came out on the good side.

That’s what somebody is asking for it. You saw a confirmed sale go for $90 or just others asking?
Naaah. Saw the card at a local shop for $70. I got a chuckle. I haven't looked at Beckett in a long, long time. Either way----I came out on top..:D

I have unopened or unwrapped boxes of O-Pe-Che cards with Frank Thomas rookie cards, have the unopened box of Upper Deck extended edition in their 1st year of producing Base Ball cards, supposedly has the Ken Griffey Jr card, won't open it has I already have Jr's rookie card by Upper Deck, almost have the complete set of Stadium clubs 1st edition.

the problem is today most of the cards sold from 1989 on, is that everybody as soon as they got a rookie card they put them into seperate plastic sheeves to protect them, the ones pre 70's kids took them then snitched moms clothes pins and put them on their bycycle spokes to sound cool, that made them scarce and Topps ussually put one card in with a piece of gum,

this limited the numbers available which makes them more valuable, maybe in 20+ years Trading cards will become valuable. then our grandchildren or grand children can use them or just play with them like some of us did in our youth

You should watch the Netflix doc Jack of All Trades. They talk a lot about the ‘89 Ken Griffey Jr card. Evidently they produced millions of that card and were flipping them on high prices.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
there is not one card shop in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls or Evansdale area hasn't been a card trade show in the last 10 years either

The frank thomas rookie error with no name on front was worth like a grand probably more now. My favorite rookie card I have will always be the Griffey jr upper deck rookie. He had the sweetest swing ever

The most valuable baseball cards that I had when I collected baseball cards growing up was my Jose Canseco Donruss Rookie card. It was worth around $50-$60 when I bought it and got up to about $120 and I wanted to sell it to make a profit on it but my dad talked me into holding onto it because he said it could keep going up in value but then it plummeted in value after he was caught up in the steroids scandal. The last time I checked to see how much it was worth was many many years ago and if was only worth about $15. I imagine that it’s worth much less than that now. I also had quite a few Ken Griffey Jr Donruss and Upper Deck Rookie cards that I believe were worth $100+ each at one point but I don’t have any idea what they’re worth now. I’m guessing maybe a few dollars if that. I had at least a dozen of each of both his Donruss and Upper Deck. I quit collecting baseball cards in the 90’s because it got to the point that baseball cards from the 80’s and 90’s weren’t worth much at all because they were mass produced to the point that it killed their value. Between me and my dad we probably got 100,000+ baseball cards combined. I also have some basketball cards, football cards, racing cards and wrestling cards. My dad had Mark McGwire’s USA Rookie card that was worth around $700 at one point after he broke Roger Maris single season home run record but then when Barry Bonds broke his record the value of that card plummeted.

Nolan Ryan rookie for a beat up Carlton Fisk rookie card.

That was a 1000 trade up at the time.

I sold my entire childhood collection in ~'93. I regretted it for a long time, now I'm super happy b/c it would a small fraction of what I got for them then.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The frank thomas rookie error with no name on front was worth like a grand probably more now. My favorite rookie card I have will always be the Griffey jr upper deck rookie. He had the sweetest swing ever
what card was that on? I never really paid attention to that part, must have 20-30 FT cards of different card companies.

ADVERTISEMENT