ADVERTISEMENT

Bama throttling LSU...

It is a barrage.

Don't feel like looking it up. Someone has to remember those guards he had with Buffalo.
They could shoot and would just embarrass teams.

On the otherhand...

Teams that defend well on the perimeter give his teams all kinds of issues.

It is a barrage.

Don't feel like looking it up. Someone has to remember those guards he had with Buffalo.
They could shoot and would just embarrass teams.

On the otherhand...

Teams that defend well on the perimeter give his teams all kinds of issues.
He didn't have the athletes at Buffalo though, that he has at Bama. They spread you out, pretty much a 5-out offense, drive and look for cutters, shooters....They are very, very difficult to defend. If you get oout on them, they will beat you off the bounce...You sit back, and well....They'll hit three's.

Not to mention, they are solid defensively as well...

Reactions: bama100
He didn't have the athletes at Buffalo though, that he has at Bama. They spread you out, pretty much a 5-out offense, drive and look for cutters, shooters....They are very, very difficult to defend. If you get oout on them, they will beat you off the bounce...You sit back, and well....They'll hit three's.

Not to mention, they are solid defensively as well...

You want that.

Defense is about chasing shooters off the perimeter

Watch any elite defense in basketball. They force shooters to put the ball on the floor.

Teams that can execute at a high level can take advantage. Villanova in particular
But most teams don't execute perfectly. This creates turnovers, blocks, missed shots at the rim or running down the shot clock

You want that.

Defense is about chasing shooters off the perimeter
It is...to an extent. But Bama has the ability to make contested shots---Petty for sure. They make it hard with that 5 out offense...Its difficult to defend. I am surprised a lot more college teams do not run this. THat our, 4 and 1, with screeniing action. Teams like Alabama, who have 3-4 guys on the floor who can shoot....all 5 can handle the ball, get to the rim....and pass. Its hard to run guys off, when in essence, thats exavtly what Alabama wants you to do...

Nate has himself a really good team.

It is...to an extent. But Bama has the ability to make contested shots---Petty for sure. They make it hard with that 5 out offense...Its difficult to defend. I am surprised a lot more college teams do not run this. THat our, 4 and 1, with screeniing action. Teams like Alabama, who have 3-4 guys on the floor who can shoot....all 5 can handle the ball, get to the rim....and pass. Its hard to run guys off, when in essence, thats exavtly what Alabama wants you to do...

A lot of college basketball have went to that truthfully.

Why you need a 5 who can guard the perimeter.

Watch Tx Tech vs Buffalo in the Round of 32

Texas Tech is one of the better teams. Especially when they had Owens.

A lot of college basketball have went to that truthfully.

Why you need a 5 who can guard the perimeter.

Watch Tx Tech vs Buffalo in the Round of 32

Texas Tech is one of the better teams. Especially when they had Owens.
Agree starting to see more of a spread, 5 out offense...But not as commtted as a team like Bama is...They run almost no sets, and everything comes off the spread. And when you can shoot as they can? JFC....Difficult.

Only issue with Bama is----What happens when three isn't going in? Not really estavlished in the post---but decent enough. I don't think they are a candidate for anearly exit, b/c of their defense. I think they can get to a FF...But they scare me in the SW 16....

Agree starting to see more of a spread, 5 out offense...But not as commtted as a team like Bama is...They run almost no sets, and everything comes off the spread. And when you can shoot as they can? JFC....Difficult.

Only issue with Bama is----What happens when three isn't going in? Not really estavlished in the post---but decent enough. I don't think they are a candidate for anearly exit, b/c of their defense. I think they can get to a FF...But they scare me in the SW 16....

NBA...

A lot of these teams do it
Oats is trying to sell the NBA to bigs. Telling them he plays a style similar to the NBA

But for the most part a lot of schools do the same thing.
Have to use your big on the perimeter and getting him rolling to the basket. Usually easier when he can shoot.

They play a style so bigs can transition to the NBA much easier.

But the problem can be with defenses that are elite on the perimeter.

Make it difficult on your offense when you are trying to get into your offense.

Never seen a team shoot like that. Granted LSU put up the worst defensive effort I've seen and played as poorly as it gets. They shot lights out so congrats to them and no excuses they just simply whipped our ass from start to finish.

Never seen a team shoot like that. Granted LSU put up the worst defensive effort I've seen and played as poorly as it gets. They shot lights out so congrats to them and no excuses they just simply whipped our ass from start to finish.
Sounds like our game against them.

Reactions: RTider77
They did the same to my Arkansas team last week. They shoot it at will and make shots

Reactions: RTider77
Alabama is legit. They have multiple elite shooters, length, athleticism and a bunch if dudes that play really hard and smart.

I know LSU sucked defensively, but nobody was beating Alabama last night. Not Gonzaga, not Baylor, not Texas not Villanova… nobody.

If you come out to guard them, you will find yourself standing at least 5' beyond the 3 point line at times… .. because they can hit from there. When you do that, they have your defense spread wide open and there are very few defenders that can check these guys one on one without fouling.

They hit 23 threes last night before they pulled their starters with 4 minutes left and honestly, they let off the gas long before that, they were up by 40.

I'm interested to see how Oats does once he has his recruits in there. He has a team full of veteran holdovers from the previous regime. You don’t see too many 18th year John Petty's running around cbb these days.

Alabama is legit. They have multiple elite shooters, length, athleticism and a bunch if dudes that play really hard and smart.

I know LSU sucked defensively, but nobody was beating Alabama last night. Not Gonzaga, not Baylor, not Texas not Villanova… nobody.

If you come out to guard them, you will find yourself standing at least 5' beyond the 3 point line at times… .. because they can hit from there. When you do that, they have your defense spread wide open and there are very few defenders that can check these guys one on one without fouling.

They hit 23 threes last night before they pulled their starters with 4 minutes left and honestly, they let off the gas long before that, they were up by 40.

I'm interested to see how Oats does once he has his recruits in there. He has a team full of veteran holdovers from the previous regime. You don’t see too many 18th year John Petty's running around cbb these days.
Spot on , swear I thought Petty was gone 10 years ago lol !

Reactions: kyjeff1
Bama finally paying dividends on the Collin Sexton recruiting class. Those guys are seniors now and looking great.

I expect the same thing to happen to Georgia in the next couple years based on their Ant Edwards recruiting class. They had a lot ton of freshmen on that team last year and only one is a NBA guy. The rest are gonna grow into a great team before it's all said and done.

Reactions: Tigerocker

I thought it was funny when Nate Oats arrived at Alabama, one of his first comments was something along the lines of, "I like our roster, but I think we might have a few too many bigs." He's okay with bigs, as long as they have guard-skills. I loved Oats at Buffalo, and I think he's going to consistently have Alabama in the top 25. Great coach.

This Alabama team is dangerous. I don't see any reason why they couldn't win multiple games in the tournament.

This is definitely the best Bama team since the 80s or early 90s. Better than the elite 8 squad under Mark Gottfried. Outside of being able to shoot, they hustle like hell and have taken Oates’ “blue collar ball” thing to heart. They’ve won several SEC games when they didn’t shoot well at all. Have several injuries too, if they ever get fully healthy, they’re a team that could legitimately make a ff run. We’ll see how consistent they stay, if the consistency let’s up then I’ll consider them a team that could exit in the second round or go very deep just depending on how they shoot.

This is definitely the best Bama team since the 80s or early 90s. Better than the elite 8 squad under Mark Gottfried. Outside of being able to shoot, they hustle like hell and have taken Oates’ “blue collar ball” thing to heart. They’ve won several SEC games when they didn’t shoot well at all. Have several injuries too, if they ever get fully healthy, they’re a team that could legitimately make a ff run. We’ll see how consistent they stay, if the consistency let’s up then I’ll consider them a team that could exit in the second round or go very deep just depending on how they shoot.
I watched that LSU game last week from tip to horn and my jaw was on the floor. They were hitting damn near every three they fired up.

I remember UK coming back from being down by 31 (at LSU) under Pitino and they hit a crazy amount of threes to pull it off, but not 23 of them.

Last edited:
I watched that LSU game last week from tip to horn and my jaw was on the floor. They were hitting damn near every three they fired up.

I remember UK coming back from being down by 31 (at LSU) under Pitino and they hit a crazy amount of threes to pull it off, but not 23 of them.
Haha yeah I’m pretty sure that 23 broke Bama’s previous SEC record of 22. But yeah when they’re really on shooting, they’re good enough elsewhere that they could beat anyone. It’ll be interesting to see how they respond to being ranked in the top ten.

Haha yeah I’m pretty sure that 23 broke Bama’s previous SEC record of 22. But yeah when they’re really on shooting, they’re good enough elsewhere that they could beat anyone. It’ll be interesting to see how they respond to being ranked in the top ten.
People didn't seem to notice what they did in the paint against LSU.

People didn't seem to notice what they did in the paint against LSU.

That was kind of my question. Moreso On defense. if they are running 5 out on O do they have a guy to defend the post or protect the rim. I guess what I’m asking is do they play small ball or have a big who can stroke it.

You hit 20+ threes and there isn’t a team in cbb that can beat you, unless those were the only shots you hit.
The thing I noticed, your shooters lag back away from the arch about 3-5' and they're daring teams to come out and guard them, then they go by you, because they're that good. They've shown they can hit those deep threes, so you have to chase them.
Hopefully y'all are cold tonight.

That was kind of my question. Moreso On defense. if they are running 5 out on O do they have a guy to defend the post or protect the rim. I guess what I’m asking is do they play small ball or have a big who can stroke it.
Bama is long at all 5 positions. At times, it seemed like they were longer than UK's guys were and UK is really long.
They have some dudes that can hit threes at a high percentage, but they can also go right by you and find the open man or score at the rim. They’re a very dangerous team. Mississippi state stayed within reach of them Saturday night, so maybe trams are figuring them out.

Well, Kentucky will be throttling Bama here in about 45 min. Go ahead and grab them ankles Tiders.

Man that spread sure is fishy to me. Bama -7 @ home when they won by 20 @ rupp. Seems too good to be true so I’ll be jinxing that UK +250 ML lol

ADVERTISEMENT