ADVERTISEMENT

Bacot returning for senior year

5* to 4 years. Nice job UNC. Kind of like Hanztravel. Another development disaster by UNC.
Hard to blame Hubert for that.

However, I’d say it’s a bit premature to think Bacot will truly be back. It’s not unusual for guys to say they’re coming back early only to change their minds later after agents get in their ears. Especially after an emotional end to a season when they came close to winning it all.

Hard to blame Hubert for that.

However, I’d say it’s a bit premature to think Bacot will truly be back. It’s not unusual for guys to say they’re coming back early only to change their minds later after agents get in their ears. Especially after an emotional end to a season when they came close to winning it all.

how much you willing to wager? I will even give you good odds.

No flame. I am jealous that unc is able to get players to stick around. At Duke, it is pretty much impossible considering that there are typically 5*s already committed for the following year. I was hoping there would be some adjustments to that method. But looks like Scheyer has embraced the OAD. Which means we won't get to see developmental players. Oh well, is what it is.

No flame. I am jealous that unc is able to get players to stick around. At Duke, it is pretty much impossible considering that there are typically 5*s already committed for the following year. I was hoping there would be some adjustments to that method. But looks like Scheyer has embraced the OAD. Which means we won't get to see developmental players. Oh well, is what it is.

It will be interesting to see if Scheyer changes strategy- the only issue is that the administration needs to allow him time to suck (by Duke standards) for a few years to build a team of upperclassmen.

I would much prefer he do so- it's impossible to hate Duke when the roster completely changes every year. Familiarity breeds contempt

It will be interesting to see if Scheyer changes strategy- the only issue is that the administration needs to allow him time to suck (by Duke standards) for a few years to build a team of upperclassmen.

I would much prefer he do so- it's impossible to hate Duke when the roster completely changes every year. Familiarity breeds contempt
I understand what you mean. Gone are the days of some dude flopping around the court (if he's not slapping it), and easy to hate.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Gotta say, pretty, pretty good.

He is really good at social media. Wish the entire athletic program would follow his lead tbh.

I think Leaky comes back as well. Love probably come back but hopefully will test because that would be best for him. If he just really impresses and gets a first round grade he will probably go but anything outside of that and I think he is back.

Hubert really has the program rolling now. The boys come back and maybe even get a portal guy to help out so UNC should be good next year. Maybe not quite as good as this run will make people think but definitely top 10 good. GG and Jarin Stevenson hopefully commit soon. Players are going to have to jump quick if they want a spot.

Reactions: KisteK
He is really good at social media. Wish the entire athletic program would follow his lead tbh.

I think Leaky comes back as well. Love probably come back but hopefully will test because that would be best for him. If he just really impresses and gets a first round grade he will probably go but anything outside of that and I think he is back.

Hubert really has the program rolling now. The boys come back and maybe even get a portal guy to help out so UNC should be good next year. Maybe not quite as good as this run will make people think but definitely top 10 good. GG and Jarin Stevenson hopefully commit soon. Players are going to have to jump quick if they want a spot.
Aside from Bacot, Manek was the most important piece to that team imo. You HAVE to have a stretch 4 with a dude like Bacot and Tshiebwe. UK didn't. Also, I saw UNC 5-6 times, and I am still not convinced Love or Davis are elite. But Love sure did get hot at the right time.

Reactions: KisteK
Aside from Bacot, Manek was the most important piece to that team imo. I saw UNC 5-6 times, and I am still not convinced Love or Davis are elite. But Love sure did get hot at the right time.

Yes, that is one aspect people are not paying enough attention to regarding the UNC run. Now, Love played great and Davis finally learned how to play PG and Bacot was the best player in the ACC and Leaky is now a legit shut down defender but Manek is gone and he was a huge part of their success. That is one reason I think, while they will be good, they could be somewhat overvalued at the start of the year.

Reactions: RipThru
Will be nice to have high expectations again. I had written this year off in December. Good to be back. Love returns and we have as good a shot as anyone.

Guys like Bacot and Oscar don't translate well for the pros. Great for college! Both are gifted inside players. Consensus POY coming back... unheard of

UNC and Hopefully UK will have talent and experience at the post.
Same for kofi and timme as well. We xpuld see one of the best returning class of big men in a long while if not ever.

Would you rather have titles/FF or your players get drafted in the lottery/first round?
The answer is you'd like to do both because you need talent to win titles. Bacot falls into a long line of UNC 5 star players who've stayed longer than expected if everyone around them has gotten drafted already. I'm truly impressed. Harrison Barnes the #1 overall pick actually returned to UNC.

Yes, that is one aspect people are not paying enough attention to regarding the UNC run. Now, Love played great and Davis finally learned how to play PG and Bacot was the best player in the ACC and Leaky is now a legit shut down defender but Manek is gone and he was a huge part of their success. That is one reason I think, while they will be good, they could be somewhat overvalued at the start of the year.
Your starting 5 perfectly complemented one another for sure. Brady Manek is sort of a unicorn for college, will be tough to find another transfer like him.

The answer is you'd like to do both because you need talent to win titles. Bacot falls into a long line of UNC 5 star players who've stayed longer than expected if everyone around them has gotten drafted already. I'm truly impressed. Harrison Barnes the #1 overall pick actually returned to UNC.
It is impressive.

You would like to have both but if you had to choose, I'm sure you would choose the titles and FF's.

So I guess it's not cool if you're a 5 star recruit and not on anyone's draft board if you stay in school? Also Wendell Moore was a 5 star recruit and he played 3 years. Matthew Hurt was a 5 star recruit who left after his second year at duke, went undrafted. Bottom line is all 5 star recruits aren't guaranteed to go in the lottery or the first round.

Right but not all 5 stars are the same and it varies class to class. The #2 ranked 5 star isnt the same as the #22 ranked five star, not even close.

Reactions: bignish
So I guess it's not cool if you're a 5 star recruit and not on anyone's draft board if you stay in school? Also Wendell Moore was a 5 star recruit and he played 3 years. Matthew Hurt was a 5 star recruit who left after his second year at duke, went undrafted. Bottom line is all 5 star recruits aren't guaranteed to go in the lottery or the first round.
And all 5 stars arent the same.

Reactions: AWilli6995
It was the NBA lockout year. I don’t think Barnes would have returned if it weren’t, but that’s just me.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Very logical. Wish some folks would use this same logic on the flip side when talking about "all that talent wasted". Not you. They know who they are.

Your starting 5 perfectly complemented one another for sure. Brady Manek is sort of a unicorn for college, will be tough to find another transfer like him.

No, they won't find another Manek. So the question will be was he primarily responsible for their success being so good at the 4 or was it more everyone finally buying in. If so the new but different talent will be more invested and thus more successful from the start. We'll see.

The idea that any coach or program helps a 5 star stud get drafted is just strange. K and Duke and Cal and UK get all the credit for who they recruit to their program in terms of draft picks. They get the elite talent that is ready to go from day 1. UNC has tried to get those guys and simply not been successful. The benefits of missing on that talent has been getting guys who stay longer which can actually benefit the program in other ways. The plus of getting those guys is it starts a good rep with other guys like that and you continue to get them.

All of the big time programs develop talent pretty well or else they would fail.

Last edited:
No, they won't find another Manek. So the question will be was he primarily responsible for their success being so good at the 4 or was it more everyone finally buying in. If so the new but different talent will be more invested and thus more successful from the start. We'll see.

The idea that any coach or program helps a 5 star stud get drafted is just strange. K and Duke and Cal and UK get all the credit for who they recruit to their program in terms of draft picks. They get the elite talent that is ready to go from day 1. UNC has tried to get those guys and simply not been successful. The benefits of missing on that talent has been getting guys who stay longer which can actually benefit the program in other ways. The plus of getting those guys is it starts a good rep with other guys like that and you continue to get them.

All of the big time programs develop talent pretty well or else they would fail.
Mark Williams is a great example of a player that improved tremendously in year 2.

5* to 4 years. Nice job UNC. Kind of like Hanztravel. Another development disaster by UNC.

NIL is changing things. But unc has always gotten kids back. The NPoY is returning too.

ADVERTISEMENT