ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tourney in 4K

We have a 4k tv and just bought a 4k blue ray/streaming device. Haven't really noticed a difference. Is it because broadcasting hasn't gone to 4k yet?

Yeah not a ton out there yet Most useful for me with Netflix currently

I still prefer standard
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

We have a 4k tv and just bought a 4k blue ray/streaming device. Haven't really noticed a difference. Is it because broadcasting hasn't gone to 4k yet?
There is a difference. Biggest thing I noticed was the color. Just pops with 4K. Depends a little bit on the TV I'm sure too.

I just tried to tune it. I just got a 4K TV, but tried to watch on DirecTV channel 106 and it gives me this garbage that I have to call and have DirecTV come install something. Just another way for them to nickel & dime ya. Not getting DirecTV again when I move, all the bullshit fees make my bill close to $200 a month. Let's not even talk about Sunday Ticket, what a joke.

I just tried to tune it. I just got a 4K TV, but tried to watch on DirecTV channel 106 and it gives me this garbage that I have to call and have DirecTV come install something. Just another way for them to nickel & dime ya. Not getting DirecTV again when I move, all the bullshit fees make my bill close to $200 a month. Let's not even talk about Sunday Ticket, what a joke.
You might not have a 4K compatible HDMI cable. Yes that is a thing.

You might not have a 4K compatible HDMI cable. Yes that is a thing.
Thanks for the heads up. Yep, I have a HDMI 2.0 cable. They also have 2.0a, 2.0b, and 2.1 now, but apparently 2.0 is plenty to support 4K @ 60 Hz. Even the 1.3 and 1.4 cables can support 4K @ 30 Hz. (I just learned all this in the past 10 minutes). Anyway, I realized the problem. My receiver (even though just upgraded less than 2 years ago) isn't able to support 4K.

The HR44 (which I have) will record the 4K PPV but to get the three 4K channels you have to have the HR54 plus you have to have a C61K mini to play them in 4K or an RVU 4K TV.

Soooooo, all this means is that I won't have 4K capabilities with Directv because I sure as hell am not upgrading as they automatically tack on 2 years to your contract when you do. I am sure you didn't care to know all that but there it is anyway for others that may be in the same predicament. Laughing

Thanks for the heads up. Yep, I have a HDMI 2.0 cable. They also have 2.0a, 2.0b, and 2.1 now, but apparently 2.0 is plenty to support 4K @ 60 Hz. Even the 1.3 and 1.4 cables can support 4K @ 30 Hz. (I just learned all this in the past 10 minutes). Anyway, I realized the problem. My receiver (even though just upgraded less than 2 years ago) isn't able to support 4K.

The HR44 (which I have) will record the 4K PPV but to get the three 4K channels you have to have the HR54 plus you have to have a C61K mini to play them in 4K or an RVU 4K TV.

Soooooo, all this means is that I won't have 4K capabilities with Directv because I sure as hell am not upgrading as they automatically tack on 2 years to your contract when you do. I am sure you didn't care to know all that but there it is anyway for others that may be in the same predicament. Laughing
Ah yes, I upgraded my receivers to 4K as soon as they were available some time ago. Forget about that part sometimes.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT