ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament Bracket

BStowers023

Aug 23, 2017
btn-2018-tourney-bracket.jpg

Some potential interesting matchups.

Up at the 1 seed, a potential rematch between a pretty tough fought game from Wisconsin against Michigan State.
Michigan and Nebraska are pretty evenly matched, I think most would give the edge to the lower seeded Wolverines
Ohio State could get another shot at beating it's kryptonite, Penn State who has had OSU's number this year
Indiana and Purdue at the bottom, will be a fun one to watch if nothing less, in the B1G season thread lol.

Overall I think it's MSU's to lose, but who knows. It's been a crazy year.

btn-2018-tourney-bracket.jpg

Some potential interesting matchups.

Up at the 1 seed, a potential rematch between a pretty tough fought game from Wisconsin against Michigan State.
Michigan and Nebraska are pretty evenly matched, I think most would give the edge to the lower seeded Wolverines
Ohio State could get another shot at beating it's kryptonite, Penn State who has had OSU's number this year
Indiana and Purdue at the bottom, will be a fun one to watch if nothing less, in the B1G season thread lol.

Overall I think it's MSU's to lose, but who knows. It's been a crazy year.

Nebraska matches up with Michigan better than any other team in the Big Ten. The Huskers don't turn the ball over, and they defend the 3 better than any team in the league.

The Wolverines are at their most potent when they force turnovers and create open looks in transition. At times, like this weekend vs. Maryland, they look unbeatable. But a team like Maryland sucks in transition defense and turns the ball over like a sieve.

Conversely, Michigan State is possibly the worst possible matchup for Nebraska.

Nebraska matches up with Michigan better than any other team in the Big Ten. The Huskers don't turn the ball over, and they defend the 3 better than any team in the league.

I think Nebraska should be in regardless of what they do in the tournament, but I think a win against Michigan seals the deal for them.

The Wolverines are at their most potent when they force turnovers and create open looks in transition. At times, like this weekend vs. Maryland, they look unbeatable. But a team like Maryland sucks in transition defense and turns the ball over like a sieve.

This is exactly why I want Nebraska to win. Michigan matches up very well against us, but Nebraska really doesn’t. Well, that’s one of the reasons I want Nebraska to win at least. Would be nice if they were in the tournament, plus I always want UM to lose.

Michigan will win the tourney. Indiana is the darkhorse. Nebraska must win their first game too get an NCAA bid.

I predict a MSU UM rematch, and a Purdue OSU rematch. I think both MSU and Purdue will be pissed, and they both win and move on. I’ll take MSU in the championship just because MSU is deeper, while Purdue has a short bench and the 3 games in a row will take a bigger toll on them.

I predict a MSU UM rematch, and a Purdue OSU rematch. I think both MSU and Purdue will be pissed, and they both win and move on. I’ll take MSU in the championship just because MSU is deeper, while Purdue has a short bench and the 3 games in a row will take a bigger toll on them.

If we beat Purdue, we better be a higher seed or at least the same seed as them in the NCAA tourney. This love fest with Purdue all year where they can do no wrong has been fking annoying.

Last edited:
If we beat Purdue, we better be a higher seed or at least the same seed as them in the NCAA tourney. This love fest with Purdue all year where they can do not wrong has been fking annoying.
I’m with you there. I could be dead wrong, just my opinion.

Reactions: BStowers023
I would really like Purdue to have a chance at revenge against Ohio State and Michigan State, but that IU matchup should be a good one - and not one to be taken for granted. The Hoosiers are playing pretty well right now, having lost two straight nail-biters to tournament teams.

Juwan Morgan is a matchup problem for Purdue while RoJo and Justin Smith have really turned it on the past couple weeks.

If we beat Purdue, we better be a higher seed or at least the same seed as them in the NCAA tourney.
Don't disagree, but good chance that you could beat us and still be lower-seeded. BracketMatrix currently has you as the top five seed while Purdue is the third two seed. That would be a pretty big jump based on a matchup of top-15 teams on a neutral court.

This love fest with Purdue all year where they can do no wrong has been fking annoying.
This seems like a weird take. What love fest are you referring to?

Some interesting matchups. Purdue IU will be interesting. tOSU and Penn Sate will be a fun watch, but think both of
Don't disagree, but good chance that you could beat us and still be lower-seeded. BracketMatrix currently has you as the top five seed while Purdue is the third two seed. That would be a pretty big jump based on a matchup of top-15 teams on a neutral court.

I think he was referring to earlier in the season, where some had themselves convinced Purdue was unbeatable. They then lost 3 in a row, and now I don’t think there is so much of a so called “ love fest”

Some interesting matchups. Purdue IU will be interesting. tOSU and Penn Sate will be a fun watch, but think both of

I think he was referring to earlier in the season, where some had themselves convinced Purdue was unbeatable. They then lost 3 in a row, and now I don’t think there is so much of a so called “ love fest”
Hm, interesting. Most of the Purdue fan base was pretty concerned with how things were going in the two weeks before that three-game losing streak. At least in my mind, it was a matter of time before Purdue was going to lose a couple of those games down the stretch.

Why should they be a higher seed than Ohio State though if Ohio State beats them again?

See above

Hm, interesting. Most of the Purdue fan base was pretty concerned with how things were going in the two weeks before that three-game losing streak. At least in my mind, it was a matter of time before Purdue was going to lose a couple of those games down the stretch.
Not all Purdue fans. Obviously people that follow basketball closely saw them struggle in a few leading up to it, but some of the fans were ready to declare them national title favs.

Why should they be a higher seed than Ohio State though if Ohio State beats them again?
I don't think they should, as I said above. But I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that they still would have a higher seed.

Ohio State only has three Quadrant 1 wins this year: Purdue, MSU, and Michigan, while Purdue has six such wins. And when you expand it to Quadrants 1 and 2, Ohio State only has six wins, and Purdue has ten. Even with a win over Purdue in the BTT, Purdue would have a better resume from the committee's perspective based on what they've said and shown with that initial Top 16 projection.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'm just saying that I won't be shocked if OSU beats Purdue in the semis and still is a seed-line lower than the Boilers on Selection Sunday.

Last edited:
Michigan will win the tourney. Indiana is the darkhorse. Nebraska must win their first game too get an NCAA bid.

If they didn't lose to Illinois and they beat UM this Friday that would have gotten them in.

Nebraska likely has to beat UM and MSU b2b to get in.

I like Michigan’s draw. Good chance to win 2 games, which should get them a decent seed in the tourney.

The committee will look at both teams' resumes. The two head to head wins will matter but the totality of resume will be most important. Assuming OSU beats Purdue and loses to MSU, this will be the most important metrics (using current RPI's for all other opponents):

Quad 1 record:
Purdue 6-3, Ohio State 4-5

Quad 2 record:
Purdue 4-2, Ohio State 6-1

Quad 3 record:
Purdue 9-0, Ohio State 8-1

Road record:
Purdue 8-2, Ohio State 6-2

It's not a 3 seed line difference but given the above, I think the committee would still put Purdue in front of OSU. I'd guess Purdue would be a 3 and OSU a 4.

I think overall Indiana is playing as well as anyone in the conference including MSU, Purdue, OSU, Michigan. However, they may be able to win a game or two but are so bad at the foul line, it will eventually cost them like it did 5+ times during the regular season. They can't close big time close games because they miss too my free throws (and usually have a terrible unforced turnover in there too). I really do think they can matchup with anyone in the conference right now, but are still lacking some key winning time things.

Quadrants still suck if they still use RPI.

Is that the only thing the committee is going on this year, or just the main factor?
I think it's just replacing the distinction for "good" wins and "bad" losses that used to be demarcated by the top-50 and top-100 of the RPI irrespective of where the games were played.

The committee will look at both teams' resumes. The two head to head wins will matter but the totality of resume will be most important. Assuming OSU beats Purdue and loses to MSU, this will be the most important metrics (using current RPI's for all other opponents):

Quad 1 record:
Purdue 6-3, Ohio State 4-5

Quad 2 record:
Purdue 4-2, Ohio State 6-1

Quad 3 record:
Purdue 9-0, Ohio State 8-1

Road record:
Purdue 8-2, Ohio State 6-2

It's not a 3 seed line difference but given the above, I think the committee would still put Purdue in front of OSU. I'd guess Purdue would be a 3 and OSU a 4.

I guess I break it down in a more simple manner. Overall record, conference record, SOS. They will be almost even in all of those categories. The more complex it gets the more subjective it is, but I guess that's what sports are all about, subjectivity.

They are still last 4 out, a win iver UM might not be enough to bump them up.

There are whispers among folks close to the program that the Huskers have already locked up a play in game. IMO, a win over Michigan will earn them a regular seed without the need of a play in game. Nebraska has a bit of an "IN" with Bruce Rasmussen, the NCAA selection chair. Hell he was courtside, and in the Press Conference after the game yesterday.

According to Bruce, Nebraska is going to receive Quad 1 credit for blowing out Minnesota in early December when Minnesota had their full roster and were a legit top 20 team.

Now, that could change with a wide array of crazy Conference Tourney upsets, but needless to say, Nebraska doesn't have to win 24 games and go to the Big Ten title game in order to earn an at large bid.

LOL @ the big ten... how the hell did you let IU get a mother touching 6 seed? 14 loss team as a 6 seed in your conference.....

Has Rutgers ever not played the opening round of a conference tournament?

There are whispers among folks close to the program that the Huskers have already locked up a play in game. IMO, a win over Michigan will earn them a regular seed without the need of a play in game. Nebraska has a bit of an "IN" with Bruce Rasmussen, the NCAA selection chair. Hell he was courtside, and in the Press Conference after the game yesterday.

According to Bruce, Nebraska is going to receive Quad 1 credit for blowing out Minnesota in early December when Minnesota had their full roster and were a legit top 20 team.

Now, that could change with a wide array of crazy Conference Tourney upsets, but needless to say, Nebraska doesn't have to win 24 games and go to the Big Ten title game in order to earn an at large bid.

Do they have that many quad 1 wins? Their Kenpom is bad, I don't know what their RPI is. Also LOL @ the bold part, seems like moving the goal posts, I don;t think thats how that works.

How would anyone know if they have a spot in the tourney?

Unless they get the auto bid.

That’s not how it works (re: Minnesota)

Kentucky finished behind Rick Barnes?

The team took longer to figure it out this year... happens with 6 freshmen and 2 sophomores... We're blowing out NCAAT teams now so ... Hey hows our cast off playing for you? Is Matthews like top 3 on your squad or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT