ADVERTISEMENT

B1G is up 5-3-2 in last 10 ACC challenges since 2009

KStateFootball82

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2017
ACC actually won every challenge for the first ten years of the challenge, 99-08....

Has the the ACC been down from where it was in the 2000’s and prior with teams like Pitt, Wake, Ga Tech and NC State At much higher levels consistently? Is the ACC truly a deep conference (as it used to be) these days or is it just top heavy with Duke, UNC, UVA and Louisville?

Or is it simply that the B1G grown up and become that good and deep of a conference this past decade? Maryland switching up surely helped the B1G but that’s just one team.

ACC actually won every challenge for the first ten years of the challenge, 99-08....

Has the the ACC been down from where it was in the 2000’s and prior with teams like Pitt, Wake, Ga Tech and NC State At much higher levels consistently? Is the ACC truly a deep conference (as it used to be) these days or is it just top heavy with Duke, UNC, UVA and Louisville?

Or is it simply that the B1G grown up and become that good and deep of a conference this past decade? Maryland switching up surely helped the B1G but that’s just one team.

All of the above.

Almost half of the ACC has made the Elite 8 in the last 4 years (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia, FSU, Notre Dame). In that same time span, Clemson, NC State, and Miami have all made the Sweet 16. I think the ACC is just fine.

Almost half of the ACC has made the Elite 8 in the last 4 years (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia, FSU, Notre Dame). In that same time span, Clemson, NC State, and Miami have all made the Sweet 16. I think the ACC is just fine.

Awesome stat. For comparison, do you have that information for other conferences?

Um, do you know how many Big 10 teams have played for the NC is the last 20 years? That speaks more about the strength of the league than elite 8s

Reactions: kl40504
MSU - 1 NC, 1 runner up
Michigan - 2 Runner ups
Indiana - Runner up
IL - Runner up
Wisconsin - Runner up
OSU - Runner up

That is pretty crazy. All since 2000

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Cool. Tell me how many of those B1G teams have won the championship while you're at it.

Doesnt matter. We are talking high level parity in the Big 10.

The fact that more teams have made it to the final game speaks volumes

I think most agree the ACC is top heavy. Hence we win championships, while the B1G does not.

Maryland definitely did not help. They were 10-5 in the ACC and are 0-5 in the B1G.

Reactions: Quavarius
Let me tell you about all the supermodels that I came close to ****ing.

If you don't think getting to the championship game is impressive and all those different teams making it, you are an idiot. Horrible arguement.

Several of the Big Ten's wins this year were by 1 point, and Wisconsin's and Iowa's wins came with major asterisks. And it still only managed a draw.

If you don't think getting to the championship game is impressive and all those different teams making it, you are an idiot. Horrible arguement.

I didn't say it wasn't impressive. Me almost ****ing a supermodel would also be impressive. But it also doesn't count for as much as you think either. If we're going to use a 6-game single elimination tournament to crown a champion, winning 5 games means relatively little.

Reactions: sgrooms
MSU - 1 NC, 1 runner up
Michigan - 2 Runner ups
Indiana - Runner up
IL - Runner up
Wisconsin - Runner up
OSU - Runner up

It’s impressive. No doubt. Better spread than the PAC, current Big East, Big 12 and SEC for sure.

And also you can throw Maryland in there now for 01-02.

It’s the B1G the longest championship drought of the P6 tho, no?

Reactions: hawkit3113
I didn't say it wasn't impressive. Me almost ****ing a supermodel would also be impressive. But it also doesn't count for as much as you think either. If we're going to use a 6-game single elimination tournament to crown a champion, winning 5 games means relatively little.

Dude, its all Duke and UNC carrying the water for the ACC. The rest are scrubs.

Awesome stat. For comparison, do you have that information for other conferences?

I actually do have a file saved which shows elite 8 appearances by conference from the last 4 years. Don't have the Sweet 16 numbers, however.

ACC: 7
Notre Dame (2)
Louisville
Duke (2)
UNC (2)
Virginia
Syracuse
Florida State

SEC: 3
Kentucky (2)
Florida
South Carolina

Big 12: 3
Kansas (3)
Oklahoma
Kansas State

Big 10: 3
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Michigan

Pac 12: 2
Arizona
Oregon (2)

Big East: 2
Villanova (2)
Xavier

WCC: 1
Gonzaga (2)

MVC: 1
Loyola Chicago

It’s impressive. No doubt. Better spread than the PAC, current Big East, Big 12 and SEC for sure.

Huh?

Well kinda a stretch. But it’s a current B1G team just like the Big 12 kinda can claim WVU history and the ACC can kinda claim UL and Cuse history now.

Dude, its all Duke and UNC carrying the water for the ACC. The rest are scrubs.

So they're not part of the ACC? Maryland also won a title while part of the ACC as well. Have they even sniffed a Final Four since joining the B1G?

Reactions: Quavarius
I actually do have a file saved which shows elite 8 appearances by conference from the last 4 years. Don't have the Sweet 16 numbers, however.

Notre Dame (2)
Louisville
Duke (2)
UNC (2)
Virginia
Syracuse
Florida State

SEC: 3
Kentucky (2)
Florida
South Carolina

Big 12: 3
Kansas (3)
Oklahoma
Kansas State

Wisconsin
Michigan State
Michigan

Pac 12: 2
Arizona
Oregon (2)

Big East: 2
Villanova (2)
Xavier

WCC: 1
Gonzaga (2)

MVC: 1
Loyola Chicago

I think every discussion about conferences needs to have this list.

Pac's last basketball title was in 97.

Not sure on total Final Fours and runner ups but Duke and UNC have 3 titles a piece in the last 20 years and Maryland won one while in the ACC. Louisville and Cuse won titles this century but they were not ACC at the time. The B1G is a very good conference but I think the ACC is better.

So they're not part of the ACC? Maryland also won a title while part of the ACC as well. Have they even sniffed a Final Four since joining the B1G?

It's a top heavy league from that standpoint. Duke and UNC might as well be in a league of there own. They have been carrying the ACC for 40+ years.

And I didn't add Maryland to the discussion. You are

MSU - 1 NC, 1 runner up
Michigan - 2 Runner ups
Indiana - Runner up
IL - Runner up
Wisconsin - Runner up
OSU - Runner up

Doesnt matter. We are talking high level parity in the Big 10.

The fact that more teams have made it to the final game speaks volumes

Lol. You realize the ACC has 7 national titles this century, right? Also, the ACC has beaten the Big Ten 10 straight times in the Final Four. You have to go back to 1981 until the last time the Big Ten took down an ACC team (Indiana over UNC).

It's a top heavy league from that standpoint. Duke and UNC might as well be in a league of there own. They have been carrying the ACC for 40+ years.

Which is why I agreed that its top heavy. But face it, between championships or Elite 8 appearances, our best is better than anyone's.

The goal is to win championships, correct? Congrats on having multiple teams being able to win 5 games in the tournament. That's impressive. It really is. But it's not the goal of college basketball. It's clear that the ACC challenges teams like Duke and UNC enough so that they are able to win 6 games in the tourney. The B1G doesn't seem to do that for your teams.

Lol. You realize the ACC has 7 national titles this century, right? Also, the ACC has beaten the Big Ten 10 straight times in the Final Four. You have to go back to 1981 until the last time the Big Ten took down an ACC team (Indiana over UNC).

You mean Duke and UNC have. If you are saying Duke and UNC are the ACC and the others don't count, I agree with you. The rest of the league is trash.

Which is why I agreed that its top heavy. But face it, between championships or Elite 8 appearances, our best is better than anyone's.

Agreed. Your top teams are the best. But that doesn't help the strength of the league.

Just curious what this list looks like without Duke and UNC. Still double the appearances?

Notre Dame (2)
Louisville
Virginia
Syracuse
Florida State

Wisconsin
Michigan State
Michigan

Just curious what this list looks like without Duke and UNC. Still double the appearances?

Notre Dame (2)
Louisville
Virginia
Syracuse
Florida State

Wisconsin
Michigan State
Michigan

tenor.gif

Notre Dame (2)
Louisville
Virginia
Syracuse
Florida State

Wisconsin
Michigan State
Michigan

From when? Moving the goal posts are we?

Btw, the Big has never had a #1 seed lose in the first round. That speaks volumes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT