ADVERTISEMENT

AZ St, Duke and KU pull out of NCAAT

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
It’s over guys, University Presidents of both schools are suspending all athletic competition in season and postseason.

If the NCAAT was still held without fans, Duke and KU wouldn’t participate which we know won’t happen.

The dream is dead.

Edit: Arizona State too

Pretty sure its an indefinite suspension of athletic travel, correct?

But yea this sucks. March sadness hit the nail on the head.

Wonder what the **** espn is gonna do over the next few weeks/months with literally no sports going on in America. Cover European soccer like nobodies business?

fvcsi7Y9_normal.jpg

Scott Van Pelt
@notthefakeSVP
· 5m
I just spoke with Bill Self, KU hasn’t pulled out of the tournament. Just a holding pattern. Waiting to see what happens. Like a lot of us, I guess.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m hearing the first action will be to postpone. Seeing if they can do this thing in late April/May.

Reactions: WojoRising
Would there even be a point? Even with practice, every team would be so rusty by then. It would be very weird.

$$$$$$ that’s the point. The NCAA Tournament is how the NCAA makes 90% of their annual revenue. They don’t own the College Football Playoffs or the bowls. They own March Madness.

On top of that, I’m sure every single player would tell you they’d rather play rusty than not at all. Just ask the athletes who had their life long dreams dashed in 1980 when the US boycotted the Olympics.

Would there even be a point? Even with practice, every team would be so rusty by then. It would be very weird.

It would be interesting to see how the coaches handle the training until then. None of them have ever had to coach a season that long. Practices usually hit a period of the year where they’ll peak in difficulty and then taper down until the end of the year so that their players are at their peak when they need to be. I guess you just go light and through the motions like normal and hope to schedule a scrimmage 1-2 times a week until then.

$$$$$$ that’s the point. The NCAA Tournament is how the NCAA makes 90% of their annual revenue. They don’t own the College Football Playoffs or the bowls. They own March Madness.

On top of that, I’m sure every single player would tell you they’d rather play rusty than not at all. Just ask the athletes who had their life long dreams dashed in 1980 when the US boycotted the Olympics.
I mean I get it. I’m just saying, it would feel extremely strange. Watching Kentucky would almost be like watching a new team at that point

Reactions: GE Nole
It would be interesting to see how the coaches handle the training until then. None of them have ever had to coach a season that long. Practices usually hit a period of the year where they’ll peak in difficulty and then taper down until the end of the year so that their players are at their peak when they need to be. I guess you just go light and through the motions like normal and hope to schedule a scrimmage 1-2 times a week until then.
As the team with the best odds to win it, do you feel like it affects your chances one way or the other if they delay the start of this thing until, let’s say, beginning of May?

As the team with the best odds to win it, do you feel like it affects your chances one way or the other if they delay the start of this thing until, let’s say, beginning of May?
I don’t know how it would affect anybody. No coach or player has ever played a full season and then taken 2 months off before they play a tournament for a national title. Some teams would probably be super prepared for it while others really struggle. There is no way to predict who though. Nothing would surprise me.

I guess the simple answer is yes, it would affect KU. They are on a 16 game winning streak and playing at a level above everybody else. Self has them exactly where he intended them to be all season and would then have to possibly prepare for something he’s never done before.

I’m hearing the first action will be to postpone. Seeing if they can do this thing in late April/May.
What would be interesting there is the NBA draft combine is in May. I wonder how that would affect players that are declaring for the draft.

What would be interesting there is the NBA draft combine is in May. I wonder how that would affect players that are declaring for the draft.

That will surely have to be postponed as well. The NBA season has been suspended for a minimum of 30 days. That means all their operations will have to be pushed back.

maybe there won't be a draft and everyone returns to settle the score.

...except for the losers who couldn't get drafted in 4 years and graduated.

Reactions: boilerzz

That's basically what I was told by someone from FSU an hour or so ago. Working with CBS and various cities to see if venues and production is even possible in the April 20-May 31 time frame. Then go from there. Could see 1 and 2 seeds hosting 1st and 2nd rounds like the women.

That's basically what I was told by someone from FSU an hour or so ago. Working with CBS and various cities to see if venues and production is even possible in the April 20-May 31 time frame. Then go from there. Could see 1 and 2 seeds hosting 1st and 2nd rounds like the women.
Would be so weird. So, so weird.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Dammmmm so they gonna give us weeks/months to diagnose the bracket instead of half a week. I like that idea at least. At least keep a beacon of hope that this tourneybis gonna happen eventually.

Crazy to take weeks/months off from gameplay and be thrust into “March” Madness but I guess every everyone would be at the same disadvantage.

Think about the coaching implications. Giving them that long to diagnose the bracket and Matchups as well as potential matchups.

Also I wonder how many guys will recover from injury during the time off, or heal through lingering injuries they’d been playing through throughout the 68!teams.

Extra scrimmages in violation of NCAA rules, you say?

The Division I Committee on Infractions has entered the chat.
Haha.

The IRS and banks will let people slide on taxes/loans this year for a couple extra months penalty free but the NCAA will still hammer Colgate because their basketball team spend an extra hour in the gym this spring when they weren't supposed to.

They would do that.

Shits getting crazy. Any word at your work about cancellations?
Banking is the last industry that closes in any situation like this. People need access to their funds and equity. My office might close but I’ll still work. I work whenever my clients need me pretty much

Reactions: UL_1986
Nope, from the looks of it it sounds like they won’t even try to get it going in the next couple months.

Think about the tens of thousands of people who were just essentially told they lost their job. TV production staff, arena security, equipment staff, concessions, etc.

Reactions: JimboBBN
ADVERTISEMENT