ADVERTISEMENT

Avenatti says Nike EYBL execs. were willing to pay for college players

• DeBose, according to the motion, also “acknowledged in an exchange of text messages with an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky that Nike was funneling payments to high school players through at least ten different EYBL coaches.”
giphy.gif

In a filing that hints at the allegedly pervasive nature of payments to top prospects to play in Nike’s grassroots system, the document alleges an apparent willingness to pay $35,000 to Zion Williamson and $20,000 to Romeo Langford while they were still in high school. There is no indication either player received the money or was even presented the deals.
giphy.gif

Louisville fans posting this looking like Democrat’s using this guy to take down the pres.

Nothing he says is credible

Reactions: kl40504
I’m of the opinion that it happens at every school. I’m also very tired of hearing about it. I’m ready to get back to focusing on actual basketball. The only interesting thing about this would be the kl cheater guy coming into this thread and arguing with himself about cheating.

Regardless of the result, I hope he gets held, so that he’ll have to retain outside counsel and this case will finish bankrupting him.

He’s not winning damages regardless of the outcome. Like any grifter, he’s just trying to stay out of prison after being caught.

So from what I read on that story. Zion was looking for big big money and finally no one ended up paying that, so he just went to Duke for free where he would be set for life. Am I missing something?

Reactions: kl40504
Playing devils advocate here, I'm failing to see the part of the article where it says that it was proven Zion was not paid?

On a side note: Can CFB start up again already? The off season from CBB/CFB is freaking torture. I'm ready to discuss shit that matters.

Reactions: I am stupid
This guy is a piece of work. We know how lawyers are, they'll take a completely innocent act and stretch it, rearrange it, smack it up, flip it, rub it dowwwwn oh noooo in an effort to make it look like something it ain't.

I'm sure some players were paid or given some sort of under the table gift to lure them to certain schools, but I think I'm going to wait for someone more credible than this clown says so and shows something more than his word.

But if you're coach K, Cal, Self, Roy, Wright, Mack or Pitino, you can't do it, just don't. There's no reason to pay a kid or do anything under the board. Those coaches coach/coached at universities that do the selling for them.

Last edited:
Those coaches coach/coached at universities that do the selling for them.
You would think that they would. But then again if you're a high school player ranked like 40th or something and Arizona State offers you 10k then Kansas offers you nothing, why go play for Kansas when you have free money to go to Arizona State? Especially when you've been told these payments get delivered to guys like you every single year and rarely is there a situation that gets them in trouble. We've heard for years that even the bench guys get favors, one way or another. I just can't bring myself to believe that Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc. are able to get the elite because of the names on their jersey.

And I have no proof of anybody cheating. It was pretty well known though during my time at Kansas as a student athlete that the basketball team got special favors. I think the main reason why most of us have no proof or links of any of this is because it's very much a don't ask don't tell situation when the exchanges happen.

Lastly, I don't even think this dirty recruiting thing is even going on with the head coaches like Self, Cal, K, etc. IMO, they are more likely to just allow it/be ok with it because they understand that's how their team gets built. It sounds like it's a bigger issue with the donors, agents and shoe companies.

You would think that they would. But then again if you're a high school player ranked like 40th or something and Arizona State offers you 10k then Kansas offers you nothing, why go play for Kansas when you have free money to go to Arizona State? Especially when you've been told these payments get delivered to guys like you every single year and rarely is there a situation that gets them in trouble. We've heard for years that even the bench guys get favors, one way or another. I just can't bring myself to believe that Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc. are able to get the elite because of the names on their jersey.

And I have no proof of anybody cheating. It was pretty well known though during my time at Kansas as a student athlete that the basketball team got special favors. I think the main reason why most of us have no proof or links of any of this is because it's very much a don't ask don't tell situation when the exchanges happen.

Lastly, I don't even think this dirty recruiting thing is even going on with the head coaches like Self, Cal, K, etc. IMO, they are more likely to just allow it/be ok with it because they understand that's how their team gets built. It sounds like it's a bigger issue with the donors, agents and shoe companies.
Yeah, I could see a school like Arizona State paying players or doing something underhanded, but there is no reason for the big boys to do it.

The reason I say that is because guys like Cal, K, Roy, Wright, Self and Mack are where they are because they can coach and have proven it over and over. They're also on ESPN twice a week.

There aren't too many people tuning in to watch Arizona State play Nebraska, but they'll tune in when one of the big boys are playing.

And if you're one of those coaches, you have to keep those boosters away from the kids in your program and the ones you're recruiting.

I don't think there is anything you can do about agents or shoe companies. There is no punishment for those guys right now and in my opinion, if a shoe company or agent pays a player and nobody from the school was involved, the school/program shouldn’t be punished.

I'm just not interested in seeing anymore coaches get their reputations destroyed for something this dumb.

Playing devils advocate here, I'm failing to see the part of the article where it says that it was proven Zion was not paid?

On a side note: Can CFB start up again already? The off season from CBB/CFB is freaking torture. I'm ready to discuss shit that matters.
Isn’t the proof supposed to be to prove he is guilty, not innocent.

It's beyond absurd to think that (aside from the rare exception) a player would pass up offers of 50-200+ for the name on the jersey. Especially when they could spend their 1-2 years in much more fun locations than Durham, Lexington, Chapel Hill or Lawrence, and still be coached by some of the best, get plenty of exposure, etc.

Very few head coaches will risk getting directly involved. But you can virtually guarantee that anyone who is regularly in play for high-end talent is fully aware of what's going on.

I wonder if this dude even realizes that Romeo went to an Adidas school? Lol he should have done his research and made sure that the players names he was going to use actually went to a Nike school.

With that said, I'm at the point now...I don't give a fck if everyone including the ball boys get paid at IU, if it actually produces wins. Although, I am a little concerned that the NCAA might come and take those 2 NIT wins from last year! On the bright side, they might also go after that stellar 1 and 12 stretch also?!

I wonder if this dude even realizes that Romeo went to an Adidas school? Lol he should have done his research and made sure that the players names he was going to use actually went to a Nike school.

With that said, I'm at the point now...I don't give a fck if everyone including the ball boys get paid at IU, if it actually produces wins. Although, I am a little concerned that the NCAA might come and take those 2 NIT wins from last year! On the bright side, they might also go after that stellar 1 and 12 stretch also?!
I f'n love this board.

Reactions: jace4655555
I just dont care anymore. Nothing happens to the schools that cheat. Its not worth getting worked up about.

And you should be thankful for that.
Take your dumb troll deflections elsewhere. Kansas is the school mentioned ad nauseum. And you dont see me on here haranguing yall over it like other UK fans, because I really just dont care about it anymore. Basketball is a cesspool. Thank God CFB kicks off this coming Saturday.

Take your dumb troll deflections elsewhere. Kansas is the school mentioned ad nauseum. And you dont see me on here haranguing yall over it like other UK fans, because I really just dont care about it anymore. Basketball is a cesspool. Thank God CFB kicks off this coming Saturday.

Ah, yes. CFB. Where they get paid AND use every PED known to man.

And do you really want an NCAA that is on a legitimate, unbiased quest to sniff out every athlete that would be deemed ineligible?

Yea, I don’t think there’s any doubt CFB is just as dirty if not more dirty than hoops. But I kind of agree, I don’t care anymore. Everyone knew in the back of their heads it was being done long before the accusations started coming.

And do you really want an NCAA that is on a legitimate, unbiased quest to sniff out every athlete that would be deemed ineligible?
I didnt say CFB isnt dirty. My lead off post was "I dont care anymore" was it not.

My point is CFB games are something meaningful to discuss, actual game action, v all the offseason stupidity. Reds are headed towards the finish line so baseball season is wrapping up.

This basketball scandal stuff, again, why care. What has been done to anyone of consequence?

I also dont care at all about PEDs. Dude wants to juice have at it. Makes games more exciting when dudes are beasts. Its not my testicles shriveling up out there.

Reactions: treyforuk

Wow. You just throw out accusations like nothing huh? Here's to you being falsely accused of a crime and spending life in prison. While innocent.

ADVERTISEMENT