ADVERTISEMENT

At what point does Nova become a blue blood?

I love Kansas fans keep trying to claim the 2020 title. 2011 is fully why no we can fife that title to Kansas
It’s not claiming a title. It’s pointing out that their best opportunity (relative to the field) was stripped. I can only imagine if that happened to Auburn. Hell, you claim a bunch of mythical football titles already. And lest we forget the “official 2019 national title.”🤣

2011 sucked, but if you’re in the Elite 8, you’re either playing a great team or a really hot team. VCU won 5 tourney games. Blew out 3 or 4 good teams, including a top 10ish Purdue team.

It’s not claiming a title. It’s pointing out that their best opportunity (relative to the field) was stripped. I can only imagine if that happened to Auburn. Hell, you claim a bunch of mythical football titles already. And lest we forget the “official 2019 national title.”🤣

2011 sucked, but if you’re in the Elite 8, you’re either playing a great team or a really hot team. VCU won 5 tourney games. Blew out 3 or 4 good teams, including a top 10ish Purdue team.
Bill self is 3-7 in elite 8 games all time. Going back to his Illinois days even. Kansas is by far the best program of all time If just the regular season is judged however. Why shouldn’t auburn claim a title in 2004 for football. Who beat us?

Btw, the point was that you can’t have it both ways. If you acknowledge that the tourney doesn’t always reward the best team, then you can’t limit a debate to just comparing titles. Especially if a bunch of them were won when a lot of the top teams didn’t even participate in the tourney and you only had to win a few games.

Let’s say the Wildcats win two games in New Orleans. It would be their fourth national championship, tying them for sixth all-time with UConn and one more than Kansas.

I believe the general consensus is that Villanova is *not* a blueblood at the moment but are an elite program. However, would they be if Jay Wright gets his third title? If not, what more would they have to do? This is coming from a Villanova hater, by the way (Scottie f****** Reynolds :mad:).
Excellent thread.

I don't see how they would not be considered a blue blood as Duke was considered one long before they got the 4th. They, UConn and Duke have won them late and were not elite early in the tourney history.

Kansas is a blue blood for being near the top for so many decades. They just have bad luck winning titles.

Kentucky is starting to show signs of losing prestige as they can't win shit lately. UK may suffer the fate of UCLA by a bunch of titles representing a team whose glory days are long ago.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Excellent thread.

I don't see how they would not be considered a blue blood as Duke was considered one long before they got the 4th. They, UConn and Duke have won them late and were not elite early in the tourney history.

Kansas is a blue blood for being near the top for so many decades. They just have bad luck winning titles.

Kentucky is starting to so signs of losing prestige as they can't win shit lately. UK may suffer the fate of UCLA by a bunch of titles representing a team whose glory days are long ago.
Damn Bert. That last paragraph has me even feeling bad for you. That bad huh? Didn’t expect that to ever come out of you.

Bill self is 3-7 in elite 8 games all time. Going back to his Illinois days even. Kansas is by far the best program of all time If just the regular season is judged however. Why shouldn’t auburn claim a title in 2004 for football. Who beat us?
His Elite 8 record isn’t great, but he deserves credit for being in that game every other year. And he shouldn’t be penalized for losing with a Tulsa team that wasn’t supposed to be there.

It’s just funny to me that people rail on the few KU fans who want to claim Covid or Helms titles (not me), while claiming a bunch of mythical football titles. Including ones that the NCAA doesn’t even recognize.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
His Elite 8 record isn’t great, but he deserves credit for being in that game every other year. And he shouldn’t be penalized for losing with a Tulsa team that wasn’t supposed to be there.

It’s just funny to me that people rail on the few KU fans who want to claim Covid or Helms titles (not me), while claiming a bunch of mythical football titles. Including ones that the NCAA doesn’t even recognize.
Football didn’t have an official method for even awarding titles until 24 years ago. Helms titles were how along ago again? I am fine with your covid argument. It’s basically what occurred with football until 1998

Football didn’t have an official method for even awarding titles until 24 years ago. Helms titles were how along ago again? I am fine with your covid argument. It’s basically what occurred with football until 1998
Yeah, but it’s the same argument for Helms. It’s all we have from that era.

KU had a lot of really good teams in the pre-tourney era and some people think they should be recognized somehow.

Yeah, but it’s the same argument for Helms. It’s all we have from that era.

KU had a lot of really good teams in the pre-tourney era and some people think they should be recognized somehow.
I can somewhat see your point. Auburn had a football team in 1913 that went undefeated and didn’t up give up a point all season. Was not even scored on. Yet it’s not recognized as a national title

they were a long time ago. Lost that status 20 years ago.

Nebraska football = Indiana basketball

blue blood is historical royalty. The Godfather’s.

the top 5 winningiest are the 5 blue bloods. Then there’s your “teal” or 2nd tier bloods (Nova, UConn, UL, Cuse, Sparty, Cincy, Zona, Michigan, Indiana, etc). Then your third tier (Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgetown, Arkansas, Virginia, NC State, Houston, Oregon, OU, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc).

They have more NCs than you, blahahahahahaha.

Kansas dictating who is or isn't a BB is laughable

What about BlueBlood*?

Does that term mean anything to you?
Two things:

1. Great show that my wife and myself loved to watch..

2. You decided to capitalized the "B" in blood, and I didn't....

After that, no, not really...

fomP1Kd.gif
My wife wears the throwback too much imo.

Reactions: Sound.Slave
Wins more NCs and I am in.

You guys want so bad to be recognized as a Blue blood, but you don't have the total resume.

Sorry dude
Why would we yearn for something that already exists?

We take shit from no one, Wee Man.

Learn it. Know it. Live it. 🤣

Why would we yearn for something that already exists?

We take shit from no one, Wee Man.

Learn it. Know it. Live it. 🤣

Name me the big time programs of the Big 8 that were worth a damn and have a NC.

I can list 5 off the top of my head that have NCs from the original Big 10.

Your record is padded

Two things:

1. Great show that my wife and myself loved to watch..

2. You decided to capitalized the "B" in blood, and I didn't....

After that, no, not really...
The asterisk means nothing to you? Are you sure*?

Name me the big time programs of the Big 8 that were worth a damn and have a NC.

I can list 5 off the top of my head that have NCs from the original Big 10.

Your record is padded
Strange that you never make this argument about Kentucky.

Okie St won a few titles back in the day. The league also had quite a few runner-ups and final four teams.

The current iteration of the Big 12 has 6 titles and 13 runner-ups. That’s either a champ or runner-up in almost a quarter of the championship games. Not too shabby for a football conference.

But you’re right. It wasn’t a consistently great league decades ago. Yet KU dominates it to an even greater extent now. Take a lap, Wee Man. 🤣

Strange that you never make this argument about Kentucky.

Okie St won a few titles back in the day. The league also had quite a few runner-ups and final four teams.

The current iteration of the Big 12 has 6 titles and 13 runner-ups. That’s either a champ or runner-up in almost a quarter of the championship games. Not too shabby for a football conference.

But you’re right. It wasn’t a consistently great league decades ago. Yet KU dominates it to an even greater extent now. Take a lap, Wee Man. 🤣

So you need Texas tit to expand your argument, lol.

Wisconsin
Indiana
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
All won NCs

You were never playing competition like that.

The FFs are impressive, but your overall record is not. It's padded

As for UK, they have a million NCs. That is why we don't need to discuss the SEC

As for UK, they have a million NCs. That is why we don't need to discuss the SEC
Uh, that’s a huge part of why they have that many titles. Many of them were won when only the conference winner was invited and you only had to win a few games in a field that left out a bunch of the top teams in the nation. Titles from that era were much easier to come by than now, especially if your league offered no competition. There’s a reason that they won as many titles in a 10 year period in the 40s/50s as they have in the 60+ years since.

So you need Texas tit to expand your argument, lol.

Wisconsin
Indiana
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
All won NCs

You were never playing competition like that.

The FFs are impressive, but your overall record is not. It's padded
LOL. Texas schools only account for a couple of those.

Yes, they’ve absolutely faced programs that had runs like those schools have, outside of Indiana and the current Mich St run. But if we’re comparing the top team’s competition, then you can’t include the top team’s accomplishments with the rest.

It’s not like Michigan or Wisconsin have been consistently great programs.

ADVERTISEMENT