ADVERTISEMENT

At what point does Nova become a blue blood?

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
Let’s say the Wildcats win two games in New Orleans. It would be their fourth national championship, tying them for sixth all-time with UConn and one more than Kansas.

I believe the general consensus is that Villanova is *not* a blueblood at the moment but are an elite program. However, would they be if Jay Wright gets his third title? If not, what more would they have to do? This is coming from a Villanova hater, by the way (Scottie f****** Reynolds :mad:).

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I agree with you that it’s pretty subjective. No real criteria but often thrown around, which was why I was curious.
I wasn't trying to be an ass---hope it didn't come off that way. I look at it like this: Villanova has become an elite program under Wright.....They were pretty good under Rollie, as well. Once Jay got that "chokeer"moniker off his back, he's been the best in CBB. Struggled early in his career, but man he's been a monster the past 10 years.

SChools like UK, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, Duke, and I guesss Indiana, are alway gonna get that label. BUt to me, its silly...

Reactions: HailToPitt725
U need to check blue blood definition. Not a long enough history. UConn isn’t one just bc they have 4 natties since 1998.

blue bloods go back several decades of consistent success with multiple coaches.

KU may not have 15 natties but is the all time winning program now. Invented the game. That’s blue blood.

with that said. I put teams like Nova, UConn, Sparty, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Louisville, Cincy and Indiana in a special bucket right behind the 5 blue bloods of KU, UK, duke, unc and UCLA. Call them “light blue bloods” or “teal bloods” - ha.

There are five blue bloods, but we don’t do additions. If anything, UCLA needs to get their shit together or they’re getting kicked out.
Ucla has been to a more recent final 4 than Kentucky. Has also been to the same amount of final 4’s as Kentucky since 2000. Indiana Unfortunately has only been to 1 since 1987

Old money vs new money argument.
hillbilly-beverly.gif

U need to check blue blood definition. Not a long enough history. UConn isn’t one just bc they have 4 natties since 1998.

blue bloods go back several decades of consistent success with multiple coaches.

KU may not have 15 natties but is the all time winning program now. Invented the game. That’s blue blood.

with that said. I put teams like Nova, UConn, Sparty, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Louisville, Cincy and Indiana in a special bucket right behind the 5 blue bloods of KU, UK, duke, unc and UCLA. Call them “light blue bloods” or “teal bloods” - ha.
Multiple coaches? Who else has done shit at duke besides their current coach?

Indiana is definitely a Blue Blood

UConn and Villanova aren’t and won’t be blue bloods. The term is borrowed from royalty. They’re like really good prime ministers but not kings. It has more to do with being old than anything.
Villanova’s been shooting hoops since 1920. That’s pretty old.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If Saint Peter wins the next 5 championships in a row, are they a "blue blood"? They have as many titles as IU and Duke.

Let's say they have 10 years of 20 wins seasons to follow it up?

I think it's hard to become a blue blood because you weren't that good in the beginning.

I guess some could become Blue bloods. Illinois, Ohio State comes to mind.

Let’s say the Wildcats win two games in New Orleans. It would be their fourth national championship, tying them for sixth all-time with UConn and one more than Kansas.

I believe the general consensus is that Villanova is *not* a blueblood at the moment but are an elite program. However, would they be if Jay Wright gets his third title? If not, what more would they have to do? This is coming from a Villanova hater, by the way (Scottie f****** Reynolds :mad:).
It is a title that is meaningless. You're only as good as your current team is.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Ucla has been to a more recent final 4 than Kentucky. Has also been to the same amount of final 4’s as Kentucky since 2000. Indiana Unfortunately has only been to 1 since 1987
I think the five blue blood schools he meant was: UK, UNC, Kansas, Duke and UCLA, IU aint considered a blue blood.

Reactions: toonces11
Indiana is definitely a Blue Blood

they were a long time ago. Lost that status 20 years ago.

Nebraska football = Indiana basketball

blue blood is historical royalty. The Godfather’s.

the top 5 winningiest are the 5 blue bloods. Then there’s your “teal” or 2nd tier bloods (Nova, UConn, UL, Cuse, Sparty, Cincy, Zona, Michigan, Indiana, etc). Then your third tier (Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgetown, Arkansas, Virginia, NC State, Houston, Oregon, OU, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc).

Last edited:
they were a long time ago. Lost that status 20 years ago.

Nebraska football = Indiana basketball
Indiana has been to 1 final 4 since their last title. Yet Kansas somehow still trails them by 2 in the title category.

Yeah, shit happens. Like Covid and Azubuike playing in one tourney in four years.

Did Auburn suck this year because Bruce got anal raped in the 2nd round?
I love Kansas fans keep trying to claim the 2020 title. 2011 is fully why no we can fife that title to Kansas

ADVERTISEMENT