ADVERTISEMENT

Ashton Hagans

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke

Any truth to this UK fans or is this just some random rumor?

It doesn't make sense that he had to be forced to go back into the game. I do wonder if he's jealous of Quickley and Richards' success this season though since a lot of people thought he'd be the best player on the team.

Random rumor some caller called in the post game with.

PPl will run with it like they do every rumor they hear.

It's true. I read it on the Rupp Rafters.
images

He's a detriment to the team. I've said it all year, UK cannot win it all having a PG who is so loose with the ball regardless of his ability to get a few steals. Notice how UK was steam rolling UT with Maxey running point and Hagans on the bench?

That's no coincidence.

It doesn't make sense that he had to be forced to go back into the game. I do wonder if he's jealous of Quickley and Richards' success this season though since a lot of people thought he'd be the best player on the team.

Did he also steal the ball from from his own teammate (Richards) during the game and then get into a beef with the Strength and Conditioning coach in the locker room?

Reactions: KisteK
Kid has been in a huge slump lately. Really not sure what his issue is. Its been turnovers before last night and now it sounds like some frustration has been building up between him and Cal. I would expect this maybe from a freshman, but not Ashton. Not sure he can wake up in time for a run.

Wow! What is really going on with him?

He’s a pretty good on ball defender, but he’s a bit undersized, and his offensive game is atrocious. Not sure how his game will translate to the pros. He looks like more of an over seas type player.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Two UK threads in a row, OP?

It was an on court spat caused a frustrated player who has been in an injury plagued slump lately. Couple that with a South Carolina redux that ended with UK playing horribly and blowing a big lead - has happened multiple times this year - and now it’s the end of the world.

Timing of it isn’t ideal, but they’ll be fine.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
It’s true. Guys were frustrated last night.

hagans just isn’t very good. I see the potential. But he needs to be a 3 or 4 year guy before he’ll be a great college point guard.

That said a lot of fans want to put the ball in maxey’s hands but he has a lot of bad turnovers too when he’s tried to run point. And Hagans has little to no value off the ball.

I’ve said it before but I could see this being the year we finally get knocked off in the first round to like a 13 or 14 seed.

Yeah, apparently confirmed and discussed by several reliable sources.

This sort of stuff happens. It's rarely a good sign. Cal generally does well with his kids... not sure if he can pull this back, or if the kid is too far gone... maybe people in his ear?

He’s a pretty good on ball defender, but he’s a bit undersized, and his offensive game is atrocious. Not sure how his game will translate to the pros. He looks like more of an over seas type player.

I tend to agree. Oddly, John Hollinger (of all people) recently sung his praises as someone that's underrated at the moment. I think it was about 2-3 weeks ago on the Nate Duncan/John Hollinger podcast. But I'm not sure how attentive he has been to college ball this year. More likely, the opinion was largely based on last year and maybe a game or two this year.

I tend to agree. Oddly, John Hollinger (of all people) recently sung his praises as someone that's underrated at the moment. I think it was about 2-3 weeks ago on the Nate Duncan/John Hollinger podcast. But I'm not sure how attentive he has been to college ball this year. More likely, the opinion was largely based on last year and maybe a game or two this year.
If he could work on his assist/turnover ratio and improve his jumper, he’d be elite. I just don’t see the latter happening unless he’s willing to put in the work.

Will bet anything this doesn't happen. I could see a R32/S16 loss though.

i mean I’m not saying it’s LIKELY to happen. But in previous years I never would have given it a thought. Because Cal’s record against mid majors was so good and that’s all you play in those games. But this team has already lost twice to mid majors. And continues to play to the level of competition. They’re giving everyone a chance to beat them.

i mean I’m not saying it’s LIKELY to happen. But in previous years I never would have given it a thought. Because Cal’s record against mid majors was so good and that’s all you play in those games. But this team has already lost twice to mid majors. And continues to play to the level of competition. They’re giving everyone a chance to beat them.
Plus they lost a 17 point lead and ended up -8. Wow.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
At least you guys will be there. I thought Hagans would have a break out year but for him to do that landed him in Cal’s dog house. I’m anxious to see what happens going forward.

Hagans has been untouchable for the better part of two years now. Even yesterday in the midst of a meltdown he'd yell at Maxey when Hagans made a turnover. Cal's losing it and Hagans blows. Shame Cal is gonna let him tank the team for a second straight year.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Hagans has been untouchable for the better part of two years now. Even yesterday in the midst of a meltdown he'd yell at Maxey when Hagans made a turnover. Cal's losing it and Hagans blows. Shame Cal is gonna let him tank the team for a second straight year.
What’s cals infatuation with Hagans? He gives that kid so much leash. Did he lose a bet or something? I’m baffled.

What’s cals infatuation with Hagans? He gives that kid so much leash. Did he lose a bet or something? I’m baffled.

Good question. I have no idea. Last year after that dumb midget transferred to Washington Hagans was the only PG so he had to play him. This year Maxey and Quickley are better. He used to say the bench was the best teacher but refuses to use it with Hagans. Personally I think Cal is washed.

Reactions: UL_1986
Good question. I have no idea. Last year after that dumb midget transferred to Washington Hagans was the only PG so he had to play him. This year Maxey and Quickley are better. He used to say the bench was the best teacher but refuses to use it with Hagans. Personally I think Cal is washed.
But you wouldn’t want anyone else right now though? He’s still a recruiting guru. Your guys recruits next year look solid, but then again you never know what you’re gonna get...I.e. Whitney this year being a top 10 recruit flop.

I think Hagans played well enough earlier to be given a long leash, but now that our bench is so thin he can't reel that dog back in. I believe Hagans overestimates his skills and knows that Cal doesn't have any real options to call his bluff.

Reactions: UL_1986
But you wouldn’t want anyone else right now though? He’s still a recruiting guru. Your guys recruits next year look solid, but then again you never know what you’re gonna get...I.e. Whitney this year being a top 10 recruit flop.
I'm slowly becoming one of those who questions Cal's coaching ability - and yes, I know he's in the HOF - but my thoughts are based on seeing more than one team make adjustments at halftime, and Cal quits attacking and tries to coast to the finish line. Love him as a recruiter, but he needs help with motivating these kids. Barnes adjusted last night, Cal didn't.

Tennessee played the only half that matters; the second.

Cal has been amazing at UK and still is recruiting well, but the style of play is passing him by. Next years class seems awesome, but where going to be losing everyone basically. A whole new team = even more growing pains.

At least you guys will be there. I thought Hagans would have a break out year but for him to do that landed him in Cal’s dog house. I’m anxious to see what happens going forward.

He was having a pretty good year until an injury setback about a month ago. His draft stock slipping and bad play since the injury, imo, has him losing confidence. Think he's starting to realize he may have to come back one more year unless he wants to be a late 2nd rounder. I could be way off though, who knows what's going on.

I'm still pumped for the Tourney and think this team has a shot. FTR, i still think UNC could win a few if they magically made the Tourney. Unfortunate season for you guys.

Not only did he refuse to go in, when he did go in he refused to come out. Sent Juzang out instead. Allegedly.

Cal finally addressed it....not going to throw Hagans under the bus. Chalking it up to 'heat of the moment', frustration.
Hope to see a much more stable Hagans tomorrow.

He's a good college PG. It's a long season. We're talking about young people that aren't always going to react the best way sometimes.

If there's truly a problem his minutes will be cut drastically, so the next game will be a tell.

So.... he didn't make the trip to FLA for today's game. This is getting weird. Something is going on outside of basketball for him here maybe.

So.... he didn't make the trip to FLA for today's game. This is getting weird. Something is going on outside of basketball for him here maybe.

Bet Cal suspended him and is spinning it to protect him. Lot going on behind the scenes it seems like. This team has more of an upside with Maxey at PG, but they have 7 scholarship players available. Probably not ideal.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Bet Cal suspended him and is spinning it to protect him. Lot going on behind the scenes it seems like. This team has more of an upside with Maxey at PG, but they have 7 scholarship players available. Probably not ideal.
UK fans should not expect too much from this team; however, they still can win some big games.

ADVERTISEMENT